Bayonetta 2 exclusive to Wii U, published by Nintendo

Thursday, 13th September 2012 15:38 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Bayonetta 2 is exclusive to Wii U, and will be published by Nintendo. Atsushi Inaba will be producing, with Hashimoto directing.

A short trailer was shown during the Nintendo Direct conference today, showing little more than everyone’s favourite witch bashing some bullets around with her boots. There were no date details.

1. AHA-Lambda

Exclusive? NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

2. Razor

@!£$431423W!$£@@$&^(&*(*&

EXCLUSIVE? WHAT!!

GODDAMMIT.

3. Fin

First decent WiiU exclusive! (after Rayman)

4. Ireland Michael

Hatched,if,he,kHz,he.iydlrkyrlitfigfi,yf,u!!!,!!,!,!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Holy fucking mother of pearls and Jesus and saint joseph!

,mbvmgcmhgdmickutfk!!!!!

5. loveaya

Ok, Nintendo again. Nintendo has ruined Fatal Frame, now it’s Bayonetta’s turn.

6. desadoc

Just no.

7. manamana

GTA VI is also rumoured to be WiiU exclusive. …….

8. Moonwalker1982

Good on Nintendo! It’s nothing but business. MS does it, Sony does it…they all do.

9. lexph3re

Meh

10. Ireland Michael

@5 What the fuck are you smoking? This was PG’s decision, not Nintendo’s. The two aren’t even comparable.

I’m still floored by this. Bayonetta is one of my favourite games of this generation. I still won’t be buying the unit until the price goes down though.

11. xino

wow!

what a shocker O_o

12. absolutezero

What the hell is Kamiya working on then?

13. YoungZer0

@10: Capcom’s decision? What has Capcom to do with this? I thought Bayonetta is a platinumgames game.

14. Ireland Michael

@13 Whoops, I meant Platinum Games. My bad. Had crossed wires there for a second. Kamiya. Capcom. DmC. Bayonetta.

Fixed.

15. Dave Cook

What the what the whaaaaat?

Original was one of my most favourite games this gen.

Wii U getting bought then.

16. loveaya

@10 Ireland pussy crap, watch your disgusting mouth~

17. Ireland Michael

@15. “Wii U getting bought then.”

^ and thesis exactly why they did it.

Gamers love to beat their chests and act all tough, but the reality is… if the games come, they will flock to it like bees to hunny.

@16 Uh, excuse me?

18. Moonwalker1982

We all know thats never going to happen. In fact Take Two this year said they have no plans on bringing their core games to Wii U, very skeptical about Wii U.

19. YoungZer0

@14: You disappoint me, Michael.

20. Lord Gremlin

Well, looks like I’m buying Wii U. I’ve been thinking about it already.
    Kind of a bummer that Bayonetta Platinum trophy is on my PSN profile and now Bayonetta 2 won’t be sitting there. Well, I guess third party sites like PlayFire come to rescue here.
    That said, I wonder how many games for Wii U I will get overall. As soon as PS4 launches I’ll be moving to Sony side for multiplatform titles again.

21. Ireland Michael

@18 He was being facetious.

@19 I’m sorry?

22. ManuOtaku

Well this is getting better and better, i know this will entice some avid gamers to get a WiiU, but i think it should come on other consoles too, happy for nintendo, but unhappy for some customers.

23. mrmike2012

What’s all the fuss about? Just buy a Wii U…

24. Ireland Michael

Shameless advertising, but you can find the trailer here. Not much to go on from it, mind. Bayonetta being a cocktease as usual.

@23 Stop with your crazy talk, man! That’s the common sense thing to do!

25. Unlimax

Here it comes Again ..

26. RandomTiger

Well its good to have a second game I want to play on the system. Is this a proper exclusive or a timed exclusive though?

27. ManuOtaku

#26 If it is published by nintendo i think is a proper one, but i could be wrong,though.

28. NeoSquall

I’ll just wait for the TRUE Bayonetta 2 to be released on PS3/360 or the next gen consoles.

29. Lord Gremlin

@26 It’s published by Nintendo. So proper exclusive. Like Sony’s Demon’s souls for example.

30. Ireland Michael

@26 You’ll be waiting. Platinum own the rights to their intellectual properties. With Nintendo as publisher, there is almost zero chance of this ever appearing on any other console, ever.

31. Erthazus

Now this is Exclusive.

First title that I want!

32. Fin

Platinum own the IP, but that’s not to say they’ll get a different publisher for a different console.

33. RandomTiger

Have Nintendo ever done third party exclusives before?

34. Cangriman

@29 Demon’s Souls case is different because Sony do own the DS Ip, but Nintendo doesn’t own the Ip of Bayonetta. Now since Nintendo is publishing the title I think there is a good chance it won’t be on another console.

I think Nintendo did it really well, it secure it in Japan with Mario, Pikmin, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest X. I’m expecting good sale because all these title are killer app. Europe and US with Mario, ZombieU, and now Bayonneta 2. Still not enough for now but we will have to see if there are more surprises.

35. monkeygourmet

Hahahaha! Here they come! :)

Just buy all the consoles and enjoy games full stop!

Does make me chuckle when things like this happen, FF 13 on 360 was good too! :)

36. Fin

Nintendo’s publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 for Wii U, but that doesn’t mean it was exclusive…

Likewise, MGS published Minecraft on 360, but it’s obviously not exclusive.

37. Dark

OOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGG

38. ManuOtaku

I think is safe to say, that nintendo will be publishing a lot of hardcore games, in order to bring them to the WiiU, therefore they can avoid the Wii situation all over again, i think they took the right approach, hope they will do the same with the majority of multiplatform games, i mean the major and important ones to the avid / core audience.

39. Malmer

Guess the game will come out at late 2013 the earliest. Maybe even 2014. And then there are next-gen consoles available.

40. NeoSquall

Thinking about that, maybe the game could be published on the next gen consoles in a similar way that CD Projekt RED intended to distribute the 360 version of The Witcher 2 trough THQ instead of Namco Bandai.

Of course PG must have put this possibility clearly in the publishing contract with Nintendo to avoid facing a lawsuit they couldn’t possibly win.

41. The_Red

Holy mother of fuck. Ok, now Wii I has 2 must have exclusives (First being Rayman Origins).

Anyway, fuck you SEGA. This should have been multi platform. I didn’t want to get Wii U just for the Rayman but Rayman + Beyonetta = MUST!

42. Da Man

Wow, one reason to buy this thing then.

43. Sylrissa

Well played with that exclusive, I had zero interest in the Wii U until hearing that.

44. Clupula

I’m actually pretty angry at Sega for letting this one go.

But fair is fair. As long as this is exclusive, this is one absolutely must-have game for the Wii U. 19 more and I’ll pick up the system.

45. Patrick Garratt

Trailer added to the post above.

46. Clupula

Wait. That trailer brings up more questions than it answers. I see a Sega logo. Was the word “exclusive” actually spoken at any point during the conference?

47. OlderGamer

Ok where is my Nintendo cap?

…I need to add another feather.

48. Patrick Garratt

@46 – In the EU presentation they said it was exclusive, yep.

49. ManuOtaku

#47 OG “Ok where is my Nintendo cap?” I think you leave it next to the NDF t-shirt :)

50. Clupula

@48 – well, I do remember Microsoft saying GTA IV was exclusive to 360 too at E3 a bunch of years ago.

51. Clupula

I just wonder if Nintendo are only publishing the Wii U version or if it’s a timed exclusive.

52. TheBlackHole

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

etc.

53. reask

Genuinely not trying to stir it here but I tried the demo and never liked it.
    Is it worth sticking with it as I liked god of war.

54. Da Man

I hope it’s as much of an exclusive as Ass Creed was on PS3.

55. Clupula

@54 – okay, now I know the world is seriously ending because I actually completely agree with one of your posts.

56. Da Man

Darkest of days.

57. freedoms_stain

@53, the gameplay is much better (although harder) than God of War, the story and voice acting on the other hand were repugnant.

I would play another Bayonetta game provided the gameplay was as good, but I wouldn’t buy an entire new system for it. It’s a step in the right direction for the Wii-U though, it’s a stroke in the “maybe” column, but they will need more than 1 game like this (assuming it’s a genuine exclusive and not a pathetic 2 month timed exclusive or something along those lines) to convince me the money is not better spent on a new GPU for my PC.

58. RandomTiger

@reask

I didnt like the demo at all, I was expecting it to be more like GoW. But I grew to like it when I finally played the full game. Had some amazing bosses, never seen anything quite like them before. Having said that I havent finished it yet, must go back to that one, might need to start it again I will have forgotten how to play.

59. Clupula

Bayonetta and God of War are very different playstyles in the same genre. Bayonetta can be compared more to Devil May Cry, as far as gameplay goes. If you like the Devil May Cry games, you’ll probably learn to really enjoy Bayonetta. If you don’t and prefer the God of War-type games, may I suggest Dante’s Inferno and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

60. M. K.

Same genre, yes of course :D

61. Wesker_Evil

Well played Nintendo…

62. reask

Thanks for the feedback guys.

63. The_Red

Amen to that.
    I really don’t want to get Wii U just for 2 great games but when one of them is Bayonetta 2, DIRECTED by the freaking Kamiya…

64. OlderGamer

@The_Red, maybe it is a sign of things to come? Regaurding JPN game support.

65. absolutezero

Its not directed by Kamiya.

From what I can see from the teaser trailer he has a co-production billing.

66. polygem

in your face! great coup. great game.

67. Clupula

@63 – Kamiya isn’t directing it. Hashimoto is.

68. YoungZer0

So one less reason to buy the WiiU.

69. ManuOtaku

Like you guys needed reasons to not buy a WiiU.

70. OlderGamer

If the WiiU sells well, and I don’t know if it will or won’t, but if it does, there will be a lot of disenchanted gamers sulking around.

71. Dave Cook

I’m getting one at launch because I enjoy good games, regardless of who makes the format.

72. YoungZer0

@69: It definitely doesn’t help.

73. Erthazus

If i will get one it must be 150 USD with 7+ games at the time if there will be no next gen and decent PC games.

So chances are “ZERO”.

74. OlderGamer

That is why I have a PS3, xb360, and Wii already Dave. Prolly gonna do the samething next gen, tho I would like to cut back. Been buying just about everything from Pong forward.

75. zinc

“Showing everyone’s favorite witch…” I don’t see Sabrina :-/

76. ManuOtaku

#74 OG i being doing that since the SNES and SEGA Genesis, well scratch that since the intellevision and attari, since then i had always bought all the consoles, with the exception of the PS1, but that was because here was hard to fine that console, it was priced really high here due currency conversion issues, and i wasa youngster without an income, and my parents didnt allow me, thats why i want to experience the most i can out of gaming on all consoles, i dont do PC, thats the only thing i will not do, because of multiple factors that i will not explain here.

77. Takeshi

Interesting platform given how hardcore the first game was. Sick just how many combos you could do. Never been able to do that in a DMC game.

78. monkeygourmet

Yay! Please tell me more things your not going to buy…

Fascinating reading!

79. Ireland Michael

A lot of people seem to forgot how much of a bad state SEGA is in right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold the exclusivity rights to Nintendo just to help keep the company afloat.

80. ManuOtaku

#79 Ireland you know deep down inside, i was hoping they can join the fray in the hardware front one more time, but like you say they are in not a good shape, so chances are very low atm.

81. Sadismek

@73 Come on, where are the “Port U” comments? I thought better of you…

82. ManuOtaku

#81 sadismek i think todays news leave him/ them speachless to say the least :)

83. daytripper

@33 The SNES had a shitload of third party exclusives

Seems a nice coup for Nintendo getting Bayonetta 2 but still not enough for me to get a Wii U, not at the price they are asking for it

84. FeaturePreacher

I’ll just wait a year or less for it to be released on the PS3 or 360.

85. Phoenixblight

Read the headline. Its published by Nintendo. You won’t be seeing it on any of those systems.

86. Gekidami

^ Published doesnt mean much, they dont own the IP. A “Bayonetta 2: Under Title” on another console is far from impossible.

87. Phoenixblight

Nintendo is not the type of publisher that let their games go on other consoles. Platinum could indeed make another Bayonetta but you won’t see this version on other consoles, that’s my point.

88. Gekidami

Its not “their” game though, because they dont own the IP.

89. Phoenixblight

It is their game. Nintendo funds the production of the game it becomes their game. All the assets that are made under Nintendo’s banner it becomes theirs. Much similar to the original Mass Effect for the Xbox.

90. OlderGamer

If there is a game that you really want, isn’t that the very definition and reason behind buying a system in the first place? Are you guys that bullheadly fanboys that you would look a good system and good games in mouth and turn away because of the logo on the box?

Thats funny. And a little bit sad.

I can see waiting for more good games. But I have a saying, more of a rule really. And that sying is: “It only takes one.” That is one amazing game that i want to play to justify the system. Could be Halo(thats why I bought Xbox one), it could be SSX(thats why I bought a PS2), could be Warhawk(bought my PS3 because of it), whatever it is. But if you see one solid must have game, and you leave it sitting on the shelf because your not able to get over yourself and brand loyalty, then I dare say your not a real gamer.

I can fully understand budgets and having to make a value based purchase, where instead of one game, you need ten or twenty, because you can only buy one system. But I don’t think that is the case for some of us.

91. absolutezero

Or Ninja Gaiden.

wait hang on.

92. Phoenixblight

Good try Tecmo is the publisher who funded the production. Nintendo is the one that is publishing a game that has already released and they are trying to fix improve so it works with the Wii U.

93. absolutezero

I was actually meaning Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 which were published by Microsoft. Ninja Gaiden 2 in particular.

94. Phoenixblight

“The Sigma team’s solution to these problems is quite ingenious. It simply rebuilt the whole game completely from scratch with its own engine, “remixing” Ninja Gaiden 2 to play more to the strengths of the PS3 hardware. It’s a situation only seen before a handful of times in previous cross-platform projects (Oblivion and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars spring to mind).”

Also Microsoft and Tecmo were publishing it.

95. absolutezero

It did exactly what someone else mentioned earlier on in this thread.

It took a game published and funded by a platform holder and released it on a rival console with a subtitle.

I don’t see where the confusion is here.

96. Phoenixblight

Read the quote I provided. Team Ninja made SIgma 2 from scratch; engine, assets and all to fit with the PS3. Its not the same game. It looks the same but Team Ninja put in as much effort as they did to make the same game on a different system. Most studios would just go make another game altogether. Platinum Studios can do that but that is up to them to completely remake the game so it is multiplatform.

97. Custard Ganet

This never would have sold massive numbers on 360 or PS3 anyway,Its not a massive deal that would matter to the average gamer i guess,not like nabbing an exclusive GTA or COD title.Still a smart move by Nintendo,really excited to see more of this.

98. Custard Ganet

Oh and can we get Bayonetta in Smash Bros now too please ;)

99. Custard Ganet

heh wow… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llk5Pq6aNUI

100. Dark

^ hahaha OMG xD

101. Da Man

Are you guys that bullheadly fanboys
    .. says the person who spends days trying to make sure internet hears his rants, nevermind that he himself couldn’t care less about Bayonetta.

Comedy gold.