Black Mesa, others chosen for Steam Greenlight distribution

Tuesday, 11th September 2012 20:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Black Mesa, and nine other titles are the first Steam Greenlight games to earn “critical mass,” and have been picked up for worldwide distribution, Valve has announced.

The first set of titles to launch via Greenlight are:

• Black Mesa
  • Cry of Fear
  • Dream
  • Heroes & Generals
  • Kenshi
  • McPixel
  • No More Room in Hell
  • Project Zomboid
  • Routine
  • Towns

“The Steam community rallied around these titles and made them the clear choice for the first set of titles to launch out of Greenlight,” said Anna Sweet of Valve. “Since launch, hundreds of titles have been submitted, with more coming in every day. We expect to be announcing more titles coming to Steam via Greenlight soon.”

Each title will be released independently in the months ahead.

1. absolutezero

See its not all that bad when the end result is Zomboid, Black Mesa and Cry of Fear being on Steam.

Really looking forward to Heroes and Generals aswell.

Nice.

2. diego-rbb-93

Really glad to see Black Mesa, but its strange not seeing Postal 2.

3. CyberMarco

No More Room in Hell yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :D

4. CPC_RedDawn

Hmmm… I can kind of see Moddb and other sites becoming obsolete because of this Greenlight feature….

5. ballz

euro truck simulator 2 plox :D

6. Old MacDonald

It would have been interesting to know what percentage these games managed to reach.

Also, it’s a bit petty of Valve to force Heroes & Generals and (maybe) to a lesser extent Routine through Greenlight.

Anyhow, I’m looking forward to a few of these (esp. Routine and Towns), so good news. I hope the next update will have less free mods.

7. silkvg247

I do wonder what the point of greenlight is.. whilst I appreciate the free advertising having my game on there, it seems quite obvious that the only games that will pass the 150k likes, are those that would have gotten an official steam release in either case.

I mean does anyone bother to review and upvote the less popular games? No. I don’t either!

If every single steam user voted on my game I’d probably eventually get enough votes, but I’ve had merely 6k visits so far. I really don’t blame anyone, without popularity or prior success who is really going to bother clicking, reading, and giving a thumbs up?

8. freedoms_stain

Not sure you actually need the full 150K, just enough interest for Valve to say “OK, a lot of people are interested in this”. A bit of perspective – only 87K people backed Double Fine Adventure directly through Kickstarter, 61K Wasteland 2, 20K The Banner Saga, 12K Grim Dawn, 5K Takedown, 2.5K Valdis Story.

I doubt there are enough people regularly browsing Greenlight for many projects to hit 150K. Personally I’ve gone through maybe 4 or 5 “Queues” since Greenlight went live, that’s only a tiny portion of what has been submitted.

There is A LOT of shite on there. I think a lot of indies seriously have to ask themselves if their game is actually worth paying for before they waste peoples time on Greenlight. Partly why the $100 fee is a good idea.

9. DSB

The idea was never to put every game on Steam that managed to scrounge 150k likes though, nor was it to make sure that every game got an equal chance.

It’s simply a way to allow the developers of games that might not be an obvious sell to Valve, to get a second chance, and allowing/using the users to back their pitch.

I think it’s pretty clever. It’s like a second opinion. Prove them wrong.

10. silkvg247

Yes but unless they offer incentives for people using their own personal time to review submissions, then any new or original games won’t stand a chance.

You need word of mouth, advertising, that sort of thing. Black mesa would always have been a success, because it’s been hitting the news headlines for ages. Everyone had already heard of it. And again news headlines once it was on greenlight.

But what about a completely new idea for a game that needs a bit of polish? That’s where it falls short.

I know Animal Space isn’t the best looking game out there, but those that have actually played it, have all said they really, really enjoy it. It’s different. It’s fun. With a bit of help from a budding artist I could probably get it looking a lot nicer, too.

Greenlight would just work so much better if it at least allowed us to put demos up, or like I said earlier, gave users incentives for visiting and voting in the first place. As it is now it honestly just feels like a popularity contest, where only those games who are popular/in the news get heard of and voted up.

And I personally think the vote down button should be greyed out unless a user plays a demo. You can’t always judge a book by it’s cover. Imagine if minecraft hadn’t become the word of mouth success it became (because it is FUN to play!), and instead was some unknown indie dev releasing the crappest looking 3D game anyone has seen for decades on greenlight. It’d probably do just as poorly as Animal Space.

Meh, I’m just shouting into the wind.

Good news is I have a couple of devs helping me port the game to other platforms now. I think I need to work on my art skills, as people either love it or hate it right now.

11. absolutezero

Well that would work for Black Mesa because its the great white elephant Black Mesa.

What about something like Routine though? I and everyone else I’d ever talked to had never heard of it before it appeared on Greenlight. I’m guessing Cry of Fear and Towns are much the same.

The problem with voting on Greenlight is fatigue, once you go through about 2 ques worth of titles you see so very very much tripe that trying to look out for the more interesting titles that perhaps just need a little bit of polish becomes harder and harder.

Theres only so many pixel RPGs or side scrolling platformers you can see before they all begin to blend in.