Sony head mounted display dated: first official shots appear, playable at TGS

Tuesday, 11th September 2012 13:31 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony Japan posted a video of its new HMZ Personal 3D viewer headset this morning, along with a TGS reveal announcement. The announcement has been confirmed and the first official shots of the device have been released online. Check them out below.

Since this morning’s trailer was posted, Sony Japan has posted a product page for the headset over at its official site.

A Google-translated blurb on the site reads, “Sony’s head-mounted display appeared in the “Tokyo Game Show 2012″! Experience new titles held PS3 and “public trial” a new sense of entertainment.”

What are the ‘new titles’ we wonder?

The site also reads, “new product will be released on Saturday 13 October 2012.” Keep in mind that this is a Google translation, but if this is correct, we won’t have long to go until the headset launches.

Here are the official shots.

Thanks AGB.

1. Clupula

Man, I wish they’d do something innovative, instead, like Nintendo do.

2. Deacon

^ lol

Would love to sit back on my sofa, dualshock in hand, playing SP games via a 3D headset… wonder if they’ve managed to keep the cost affordable?!

3. DrDamn

These shots are of the HMZ personal 3D viewer (announced last year) – http://gizmodo.com/5835977/sonys-hmz+t1-is-an-awesome-oled-3dtv-that-you-wear-on-your-head

The vid earlier is something different as it has a camera sticking out of it providing the AR capabilities.

4. Stoopid_Snot

@2 apparently not… around £800… remember reading ages ago where it said to be around £500… oh well only time will tell… oh and here a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmZ-EXZUjro&feature=related

5. Len

So this is just a 3d upgrade to the previous sony headset then? Was v interested/tempted in one last year but apparently a small fov and not at all comfortable.

I’ll wait for the rift methinks…

6. GwynbleiddiuM

@1 Deja vu… Somehow I feel I read that comment before…

7. Moonwalker1982

So this is like the 3DS and Vita feature with AR, but now while wearing glasses? If not, enlighten me if you will :)

8. Cygnar

Tsk, tsk. It’s a commonly known fact that 3D headsets are only innovative when Valve makes them.

9. OlderGamer

Just like Turtle Beach headsets this gen, I am betting that next gen we could see those expand into visual glasses type headsets. Will most likly have “suround 3D” visuals. Makes sense. I am just hoping they don’t cost too much money.

I also wonder, how will this actualy effect the way the games are played? The way they are seen sure…but won’t they just play the same? We aren’t talking head tracking or real VR, are we?

10. DrDamn

Not with these 3D ones necessarily, but the AR ones from the earlier article would have to have head tracking.

11. OlderGamer

But the AR ones aren’t full displays right? You can’t play games on them…or can we? My understanding is that AR is a Hud based tech, like the US troops use.

12. ManuOtaku

sorry i meant to post this on another thread, i dont know what happened, never mind guys, again sorry.

13. DrDamn

Well it’s not just a HUD potentially. It completely covers your eyes and has a camera on the front to pass through the video – so it can overlay what it likes.

14. OlderGamer

Sounds like a some of these things need clerifying. I know I am confused, I bet some others are too. Also sounds expensive. What do you figure the pricing for some of these headsets will be?

Sound headsets have been around a long time, but I didn’t buy one till this gen because of the prohibitive pricing. This gen I snaged a Turtle Beach for 40usd. Pretty happy with that.

Better, perhaps then to guess at what the VR/AR sets will cost would be to ask people what they would pay for one?

I would pay about a 100usd, and only if it was amazing, even better if it could work form multi devices(which it prolly won’t).

15. xxJPRACERxx

Yeah, there’s 2 types of AR. One with a projection to a type of reflecting transparent glasses, like a HUD and other with LCD screens like VR helemet.

Both types use a camera tough, to capture the environment to be sure the software know what the user is actually seeing.

16. DrDamn

I think these are a long way off that. Think the 3D HMZ-T1′s from last year were $800 on release. Future tech as far as mainstream is concerned.

17. Ireland Michael

This will flop in no time.

We also have no information of the potential health risks. Having those images floating in front of your retina while you’re trying to focus on an object further away (the TV) is not going to be good for your eyes.

18. DrDamn

Both these 3D specs and the AR ones are fully enclosed – i.e. you don’t see through them to objects behind. AR ones use a camera. So no images floating in front.

I suspect the AR ones are for marketing type use rather than full public commercial release. I.e. other companies use it to demo products to clients.

19. Ireland Michael

@18 I didn’t mean literally float.

Having something close to your retina while trying to focus on something else is not only distracting (when you focus on a certain point, everything else is out of focus), but dangerous for your eyes too. The eye strain will be immense.

This will be a great thing to have… if you want to significently progress the rate at which you become short-sighted.

20. DrDamn

Why are you focusing on the TV though? You can’t see the TV except on the screens.

21. xino

is right.
    these shots are old for the Sony Head mounted display.

the new AR has a camera to the front