Mists of Pandaria TV spots encourage you to get in the fight

Monday, 10th September 2012 00:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria has produced two TV spots in honour of its impending release. If you have a telly, you could switch it on and watch them, but since you’re already here, why not save effort all round and hit the break?

Mists of Pandaria is World of Warcraft’s fourth major expansion and drops on September 25. It adds a new playable race, the Pandaren, as well as pet battles and a metric ton of other content less likely to make hardcore fans froth at the brain in rage.

1. Kabby

The endless fight over quest mobs during launch week, yes. :D

2. TheWulf

Yeeeah. That’s one of the reasons I can’t go back to prior MMOs. I know that some people are insecure. As such, they prefer the isolationist nature of WoW, and hating on other people is easy and natural for them.

It never sat right with me. If I accidentally took a quest objective, I’d feel bad about it if they were nice. But mostly I’d just get smack talk for being poor-sighted and not noticing. Yep. Having poor sight totally implies intent on my part. And then there’s that whole thing with resource nodes. If I beat someone to a node and I was there first, I get smack-talked for being an ‘obstruction in their gathering route.’

But again, not everyone is a social creature. I know some people love isolationist play and smack-talking. That’s ‘normal’ for them. It’s how they function. I felt it was… insidious and deeply unsettling. That is primarily what’s kept me from most MMORPGs. Especially the popular ones where this kind of attitude is more commonly seen.

Worse, it’s a design choice.

You could choose to make things instanced to the player – including things like mob loot, quest objectives, resource nodes, and more. But no. Their design choice is to make people fight over all of these things, to compete for them. An endless cycle of smack-talking over who stole what.

That’s what Pandaria is going to be like, just as WoW has always been. As it will continue to be. And this is true of almost all MMORPGs. It was a massive relief when a game finally came along that didn’t force people to compete for things. There’s no smack-talk in GW2. I mean… ArenaNet have even put their foot down about that. They’re banning people who think it’s fun to potty-mouth at others.

It’s genuinely nice to play GW2.

It reminds me of Ultima Online’s PvE servers, back in the heydey of that. You’d head to a cave with your mining pick, and then you’d hammer away at the walls. Someone else would come along, you’d invite them to join you, and you’d talk about random stuff. You’d either roleplay or you’d talk about day to day things, depending on how the visitor approached you.

It was… glorious. To be honest. I’ve longed for that. Guess what’s happened to me, recently? I found a group of people who were just hanging out together to gather. I asked if I could tag along, and we chatted as we walked around gathering things. Just avoiding mobs and events, just gathering and chatting, and being social. That was marvellous. That could never happen in WoW. Not even in Pandas.

So right now? In my game… I’m being a friend and chatting it up to anyone who stops to talk. And those poor buggers who’re still playing WoW?

u [censored chain of expletives about a person's mother] u stole my [expletives] ore u [insert slander regarding ethnicity or sexual orientation] becuz i got here 1st u [further insults], y dont u [suggestions as to what someone might do to an elephant]

Have fun with that, WoW guys.

Have fun with that.

But if you’re as sick of that as I am… feel free to join me in GW2. :p

3. Kabby

Do you get paid per word to advertise GW2?

4. Mangoose

#2: It must’ve been hell for you enduring the smacktalk of World of Warcraft. I’m so glad you have found happiness in GW2, the game where people is “chatting it up to anyone who stops to talk”. Also, good luck at the Smug Awards, I’ve got a good feeling about you.

5. GwynbleiddiuM

@TheWulf as usual you’re biased and you’re talking down to WoW players. How very typical of you. The only person who’s feeling insecure and isolated is you, you feel you’re not comfortable playing WoW, you feel that any moment someone must be waiting somewhere and when they see you they are going to throw hurtful words down your way. This must be very embarrassing for you to admit. Well we get it, we absolutely get it, You hate WoW, so you stopped playing, good for you. Also we’re all happy for you to finally find a game that fulfills you, we really do. In fact, tell me on what server you play, because when I get my GW2, I wanna know where you play so I can steer clear of that realm, avoiding you, and your horrendous rants.

I’m playing WoW since the end of TBC, almost 5 years and 5000 hours (according to XFIRE). during this time I maxed 12 toons, and each with maxed professions. Only 3 times I remember smacktalking with a person, and that was when player of opposite faction was attacking me while I was mining in Icecrown for Saronite ore, and another dude just went to ninja the node, when I killed that filthy warrior I turned to him and told him, “it was mighty great of you to ninja the node, but at least you could help a fellow alliance to kill the bastard.” he just said hehe, fuck off and left. Latter that evening he joined our guild, and I told the GM to don’t give him a stop cause he’s a douche. We engaged in a bit of argument and he got kicked.

The other one was with a lowbie ganking douche-bag, who was keep ganking lowbies in Eastern Plaguelands, so I logged my horde toon and attempted to talk him out of it and it end up in a similar pattern of hurtful words.

And lastly, it was last Wednesday when we brought in an opinionated asshole because our MT couldn’t make it that night. He was keep questioning raid leader, to the point we all had to speak up in his defense. That asshole just came in and ranting why are you doing it like this, when it’s now easier to do it like this. In the end we had to kick him out and ignore him.

All I wanna say is WoW still has the highest number of subscriptions, more than 8 million playing it, and in that 8 millions (at peak 12 millions) there are a lot of douche-bags, minors, brats, bitches and assholes, there are also a lot of good people, those who care who you are and never stop being your friend even after you leave them for a better opportunity. We all had bad experiences, random douchery is not new to the online gaming.

You don’t have to talk shit about a certain game’s player base to promote the game you’re clearly enjoy playing, Or rather maybe clearly being paid to enjoy it.

WoW is not your fix, fine, nobody even forced you to play it. GW2 is your game, play it, enjoy it and relax, you don’t owe them anything, the fact that you’re playing their game with a smile on your face makes them happy and grateful. No need for these feeble attempts.