Doom 3: BFG Edition ‘could have hit Wii U if there was enough time’ – Carmack

Monday, 10th September 2012 16:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Doom 3: BFG developer id Software has revealed that it would have loved to release the game on other formats – including PS Vita and Wii U – if time was on its side.

Speaking with Go Nintendo, id’s John Carmack expressed his desire to see the game on as many formats as possible, but stated that time isn’t on his side, “I wish that we could deploy this on a bunch of other code bases. I love platforms…I love looking for the fun things to do on different ones. I’ve been bringing up quietly at a bunch of the meetings.”

“You know,” Carmack continued, “we could make a Vita version, a Wii U version, an iPhone/Android version. All of these would be reasonable platforms to take this technology…we do have a very busy development schedule and nothing else is really planned for that.”

Carmack is a busy man, currently working on Doom 3: BFG Edition and getting involved with the Oculus Rift headset project.

Would you like to see Doom 3 on Wii U? Let us know below.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. Lord Gremlin

You know, nobody likes fishermen stories about fish they failed to catch.

2. HeavyD-Love

Hopefully he’s busy working on Doom 4. Smart re-releasing Doom 3 now though.

3. jeffb01

this would be a day one buy on the vita… I’ll probably buy it at some point…

4. OlderGamer

“Would you like to see Doom 3 on Wii U? Let us know below.”

I would buy it on WiiU, but the price couldn’t be full retail and the game would have to have some WiiU oriented content(like well done controler use).

But mostly, I don’t think it is that big of a deal one way or another. I might pick it up on PC if/when the price goes down enough.

5. zinc

^ You could argue that id themselves are not such a big deal anymore.

6. OlderGamer

I think that case could be made zinc. A few years ago, a handful of studios were making the top quality FPS games for PC. Pretty hardcore gaming at the time. But now, it seems, everyone and their brother puts out FPS games. And sticking them on Consoles makes them pretty mass market. The genere is now sort of a dime a dozen, in terms of its games.

Meaning there really isn’t a lot to make ID stand out anymore. They just sort of blend in. Same could be said of Epic, but I think they hit a home run when they embraced Consoles and made Gears.

7. diego-rbb-93

A Vita version would be a day-one buy.

8. Talkar

@6 Please elaborate on how making the worlds first and only game that supports VR is something everyone is doing. Or how everyone is trying out transmitting their games directly to your eyeballs with a laser.

9. zinc

^ id made that Doom game all them years back? Then took ages to deliver a Fallout 3/Borderlands wannabe… That was worse than both and is currently flogging a rehash of their last Doom…

Oh and investing in a VR gimmick, so you can play… Er, Doom again… In a hat.

Not that many people care anymore tbh. In between Doom 3 & Rage the landscape changed.

10. OlderGamer

I would agree with the notion that that VR stuff isn’t a good direction to be going. I think, maybe someday. But I think it is years and years off.

11. Talkar

I think that now is the perfect time for VR. They are certainly lightyears ahead of what they were 10 years ago. The technology behind it has matured very much, and i can only go forward from here on out. I’m not sure what game #9 is referring to with a F3/BL wannabe game, but Doom certainly isn’t that, nor is any other game i’ve played from them. But regarding if VR is just another gimmick, or not is something we can all argue/discuss for the time being, but only time will truly tell who was wrong or right :P

12. zinc

^ My apologies, I was referring to RAGE, which to many was a Borderlands/Fallout wannabe.

13. OlderGamer

I think the thing that will hold VR back(for now) isn’t the tech, or the experience, but the price. It is going to have be sub 100usd for it take off. I don’t even think that is possible.