Rayman creator: ‘Wii U is a surprising machine’, discusses tech

Friday, 7th September 2012 09:50 GMT By Dave Cook

Rayman creator Michel Ancel is currently working on Wii U title Rayman Legends, and has shared some information on what it’s like to develop on Nintendo’s hardware in a new interview.

The interview first appeared on the French site GameBlog, and has since been translated by a GAF forum member.

In the piece, Ancel stated that he feels Wii U is a core gamer’s console, and brings new tools to players that they haven’t experienced before. He also explained that Nintendo’s hardware has proven difficult for developers to grasp, but because it gets them thinking, it will result in better experiences.

On the Wii U’s inner workings, Ancel revealed that it has ‘enormous memory’, and that his team found no memory limitations during development. He also stated that the hardware is ‘surprising’, allowing for full 60 FPS even when streaming content to the tablet controller and TV in tandem.

Finally, Ancel claimed that Wii U is not a ‘traditional next-gen machine’, in terms of raw power, and that the console’s unique features make it a next generation console.

What do you think? Are you sold on Wii U, or are you already wary of it? Let us know below.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. naffgeek

At first I had no interest in this at all but then I saw Pikmin, then ZombiU, then P100 and now I am getting quite excited about it, which is a problem as I have a massive backlog of games as it is (like most people it would seem) Although with Nintendo’s legacy of sparse quality releases maybe it will be ok.

Still I really hope they utilise the pad screen to good effect.

Might be buying one at this rate me thinks..

2. ManuOtaku

“On the Wii U’s inner workings, Ancel revealed that it has ‘enormous memory’, and that his team found no memory limitations during development. He also stated that the hardware is ‘surprising’, allowing for full 60 FPS even when streaming content to the tablet controller and TV in tandem”

Very pleasing on hearing this type of technical points, really interesting.

3. OlderGamer

And why do I have a feeling that this thread will get largly ignored? I guess it is more fun to rip on the Nintendo then to talk about someone that prasies them.

Nice to read something like this tho, if you have a WiiU purchase in your future.

4. DrDamn

Seems to confirm some of the rumours from the EG article with regards memory. 1Gb I think is the expected amount. That’s good as it’s one of the things which can really restrict the PS3 and 360.

It is Ubisoft mind, Ubisoft being nice about Nintendo is like Insomniac being nice about Sony. It’s kind of expected.

5. ManuOtaku

#3 OG the thing is that way is more fun anyway ;)
    #4 Doc in my eyes they are not being nice stating things, like is a great machine, very easy, etc, they did stated very specificall tech things, that obviously are nice, but they are stating for the most part technical things, not praising it without details or jibber jabber, so is pretty good to hear tech details here, instead of praises with a lot of words.

6. monkeygourmet

I think the 1Gb memory will really help.

Within 6 months of release we should see some really nice looking games.

I expect Mario and Metriod games and maybe even F Zero to look absolutly fantastic.

7. OlderGamer

I would love to play a WiiU F-Zero game! Esp if it is online.

8. DrDamn

F-Zero is well overdue an update, not so sure how it fits in with the system/controller though. That would have to be a consideration. Though I would have thought it would have been a natural fit for the Wii – along with Pilot Wings. A proper Pilot Wings on Wii-U please.

9. OlderGamer

Maybe the tablet will work like a radar or rear view mirror? In F-Zero I mean.

10. DrDamn

That sounds very PSP-ish ;)

Actually being able to shift it around and it reflect those movements like you are holding a mirror would be interesting. Maybe also use the touch screen to fire rear weaponry this way too.

11. Lacobus

Two negative comments in ten mins! Sorry!

But I am wary of the WiiU. I bought a Wii launch day, and after no serious games to play ended up giving it to my mum to play Wii Fit on. Nintendo pretty much abandoned the ‘core’ with Wii. It’s gonna take more than an xbox pad and COD ports I can play on my PS3 anyway to lure me back.

12. monkeygourmet

Maybe an advanced mode in f zero could be fun, motion control for beginners then it could use the touchscreen kind of like Steel Battalion for the more advanced players.

You could power up your ship, tweak your nitro and weapons systems as if it were a cockpit!

Could be fun! :)

13. OlderGamer

I would even make the arguement that Nintendo has been working without the 3rd party(what most mistakenly call the “Core”) support on N64. Samething on Gamecube.

It isn’t that Nintendo doesn’t have core games. Zelda, Metroid, Mario and more, ARE core games. They always have been. Were they not core games on NES? SNES? But they aren’t 3rd party.

EA, Acti, and friends don’t have a lock on core game mechanics.

The plus side for Nintendo is that their approach doesn’t included a need to rely on anyone except Nintendo. Their reasonably priced hardware(traditionaly), and strong 1st party line up, are able to keep them afloat during most gens(including weaker sales like N64/GC). And that is why I think they will be fine, tho I don’t expect WiiU to sell anywhere near the same numbers as Wii did.

But my point, or rather opinion, is that Nintendo never abandoned the core market. Many 3rd parties abandonded Nintendo tho(quiet possibly because they couldn’t compete with Nintendo made games in terms of sales numbers).

14. stretch215

Lol. My phone has 1gb of ram.

15. fearmonkey

Michel Ancel is the kind of designer that can make games that would really shine on the Wiiu. Rayman legends doesn’t look like it would be that GPU heavy, but the artwork is gorgeous and that extra memory could be useful for larger textures and such.
    I wonder what resolution it is…

I had heard the Wiiu has 1.5GB of memory but others have posted 1GB in this thread, I wonder which it is.