Guild Wars 2: character creation & first quest gameplay footage

Friday, 7th September 2012 14:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Guild Wars 2 is currently riding high at the top of the UK game charts. But if you’re still on the fence about ArenaNet’s massive MMORPG, VG247′s Sam Clay has created videos of the game’s character creation and first quest. Check them out below.

In Sam’s first video, he makes a Charr warrior called Durangio, and talks us through Guild Wars 2′s character creator. There are tons of creation, race and backstory options available, and you can see them right here:

Next, Sam takes Durangio on his first quest, and gets to grips with the world of Guild Wars 2, as well as the game’s many underlying mechanics. Check it out below:

VG247′s resident MMO noob Dave Cook has also been playing a lot of Guild Wars 2, and has been keeping a journal of his progress. You can check them out below:

Are you a fan of Guild Wars 2, or are you still not convinced? Give us your feedback on the game below?

1. Moonwalker1982

I hear it fixes alot of problems with MMO’s and that it actually doesn’t have an overload of fetch quests. And of course no subscription, which is great. If only my laptop could run this decently.

2. TheWulf

Some of the things coming out lately have been worth upgrading for, which I did. I understand that that’s easy to say, though, and less easy to actually do. But still, there are some truly lovely games waiting for you. Trine 2 not being the least of them, but I digress.

As for GW2 itself – I find that it does. It’s clever in that you don’t have a town hub where you go to the ! people, you build up a shopping list, you go out and you grab tens of rats toenails and return to the ? people, a la WoW. There’s none of that. Instead, you just get out there.

You can level via crafting and exploring, too. In fact, you can level via these alone, all the way up to 80. So if you want to be a pacifist, you can. You can even complete renown heart missions by doing nothing more than resurrecting people. So this is the only MMORPG I’ve ever played which literally allows you to reach the highest level as a pacifist. There are just so many layered levels of awesome to that.

See, that’s what makes GW2 so amazingly unique. In a lot of ways it feels like a fusion between sandbox and themepark, and it has UO-ish things to it. Such as… if you want to spend the day just crafting and actually have a notable increase to your character’s worth by the end of the day, you can. In fact, it’s better than UO since it means you can explore more dangerous areas of the game via crafting alone, due to not having to stat up sword-fighting or similar. Does that make sense?

And yeah, the questing itself is just getting out there and having fun. Resource nodes, mob rewards, quest objectives, and all that are instanced to the player. Two people going to a resource node? They both get it. Two people fighting a mob? They both get loot. Two people picking up a quest objective? They both get it. And since quests are more locationally based, you tend to have a lot of people working with you towards those goals.

It’s really fun and amazingly different to anything else I’ve played MMORPG-wise. It’s like… this is to WoW what Quake was to Wolfenstein 3D. It’s such a massive evolutionary leap that it’s a revolution in and of itself.

3. viralshag

It’s a good game as far as MMOs go. It does bring some good new stuff to the table that I hope to see implemented into future MMOs.

The questing, while good, does start to feel very samey after a while and there isn’t much to them. You pretty much go to a heart or stumble into an area and get told what you need to do. You do it and move on.

4. TheWulf

Also, Angry Joe reviews Guild Wars 2 and loves it. (He also rips on WoW. Sorry WoW fans, but you know he’s right.)

I’m amused that the two most critical Youtube review folks have gone on an absolute lovefest for GW2. And if that doesn’t speak of its quality, I don’t know what does. I mean, at this point, it’s only the WoW fans who’re saying it’s not a great game at this point. And they’re transparent in their fanboyishness.

5. TheWulf

The only place where you get told what you need to do are renown hearts. Those are only there for people who feel they need to pad their levelling. But furthermore, there are even undocumented ways to do renown hearts. I know, because I’ve found them by experimenting. The text is only there to give you a nod in the right direction as to how to do that renown heart.

And dynamic events never feel samey. I mean, at one point you may be capturing lizards and brainwashing them to turn them into an army to save a charr prisoner from some separatists, and at another you may be helping to get an engineering crew into position, and helping them to construct a set of mortars, and then using those mortars to fend off an invasion.

But what about those renown hearts? You can ignore them. You can level up via dynamic events, crafting, and exploring alone. I know you can because on one character I’m doing just that. And you can toss the story-heavy personal storyline stuff into that, too, if you like. That’s also not very samey. I mean, good grief, for one personal storyline mission I was doing tower defence. And it was good tower defence, too.

The problem is is that people are brainwashed by WoW (yay for classical conditioning) into thinking that they have to do all of the content. They have to 100% everything ever before they can move on to the next area.

GW2 doesn’t work like that. You’re playing it like WoW. You need to stop paying attention to the guides, which are only there to ease WoW fans into the new style of game that they’re playing, and just try experimenting for yourself. The true game is when you stop being a zombie and start using your own mind to have fun. Initiative is the key. Stop reading, start playing.

—EDIT—

And for crying out loud, stop hanging around in one area like WoW drones. I’ve seen people doing that and complaining about it. They don’t realise that they can just take an asura gate to Lion’s Arch and then go exploring. Did you know that Lion’s Arch (a city) has hidden dungeons in it which leads to treasure troves which contain loot? You probably didn’t.

And from Lion’s Arch you can go to the cities of the other races. So you can go and do something else. You don’t have to 100% anything. Just get out there. Explore. Find things. Play. GW2 is really a game that you can play wrongly, and a lot of that is down to ex-WoW players trying to play it like WoW.

6. Phoenixblight

I feel the same way. The questing is starting to drag for me but thankfully there is a PVP aspect that I can play to make it more fun.

7. TheWulf

See my response above. Stop playing it like WoW and trying to 100% everything. Try exploring, crafting, or other things. Find your niche and what works for you.

I mean, good grief, the game even has daily achievements that reward you for doing a set number of different activities per day. The amount of ways in which you can do something each day is ridiculous. If the game is dragging, you’re honestly playing it wrongly.

In fact, y’know what? Just watch the Angry Joe review above. Let him explain it to you.

8. Phoenixblight

Haven’t touched WOW in over a year now. Stop defending the game every time you see it get criticized. I have gotten to level 30 with my MEsmer. I know how the game works I don’t need a GW2 fanboy tell me how it is “supposed” to be.

Grow the hell up. You are acting like a 12 year old with a hard on for GW2 and if anyone bashes your precious, you feel you have to be the white knight.

9. OlderGamer

Who let the “Wulf” out?

10. OlderGamer

Despit moments of glee, I am having a hard time playing this game. It just doesn’t grab ahold of me. So I am just gonna put lil’ time in here and there, no rush to reach the end.

11. Kalain

There are times when I like the game and times when I wonder which idiot thought of that mechanic/procedure.

It hasn’t grabbed hold me like SWTOR or LOTRO did.

Like OG, I’m going to do a few hours here and there.

12. viralshag

@5, please don’t assume you know how I’m playing the game.

I explore, I don’t complete every area and I have gained many levels through crafting. The fact you assume everyone is “doing it wrong” because they have a criticism is quite sad. I have found both the trolls garden and the ghostly captain in Lion’s Arch.

But I am someone that likes to complete things. Such as getting my map to 100%, that’s something I want to do eventually, it’s something GW2 wants me to do because they have a badge for it on your character screen. It requires you to complete all hearts, something I don’t want to do in every area right now.

My level is in the 50s, I have my crafting on 200+ (mostly done by discoveries I might add), I’m near 40% map completion and I’ve done one of the dungeons. I have more than enough experience of the game to give it credit or criticism.

Something you need to learn to accept.

13. DSB

“It’s not the game that’s bad, it’s you!”

Honestly, aren’t we past cop-outs like that? Apparently not.

It is a great game though, but obviously TheWulf has his very own imaginative take on it. It does come with some pretty obvious flaws, but I think the things they get right more than make up for it.

Personally I’m not able to level unless I do absolutely everything. Without PVP or crafting, I’m behind by something like two levels even when I do complete a map.

To catch up I have to either grind events, grind mobs or grind crafting.

14. viralshag

It’s pathetic, to say something like “Did you know that Lion’s Arch (a city) has hidden dungeons in it which leads to treasure troves which contain loot? You probably didn’t.”

How much of a patronising dick do you need to be to think you need to “educate” people. Like DSB says, TheWulf has an extremely imaginitive take on a lot of the simpler parts on this game, often to make it sound a lot better than it really is.

You harp on about mis-information and misleading people constantly but yet are happy to give people a very glamourised version of what actually happens. And then try to act as if you’re not a complete fanboy. I wouldn’t be surprised if regulars of this site went to anyone but you on an actual honest recommendation of this game.

15. Hcw87

You do know there are other areas to level in, right? If enemies start to outlevel you, you’re free to visit the countless other zones for your level range. There is _ZERO_ grinding required in this game for leveling up.

16. DSB

@15 Sure, I could go to the area that my other character is in and do the quests I just did with that one all over again, for this one.

Although how that doesn’t qualify as grinding is beyond me. Performing repetitive tasks to increase my level, and all.

And what would be the point in designing quests that are tiered by level, with a continuous story, if they weren’t actually meant to be done in sequence?

Whether it’s bad pacing based on a miscalculation, or meant to be an intentional inconvenience, it can’t exactly be called brilliant design.

17. roadkill

Well, the comments are exactly what I thought they will be.. Wulf saying how awesome an awesome game is, retarded WoW fans crying because they don’t understand what an awesome game is, and OlderGamer having no clue how to play the game (pretty much any current century game really) because, Surprise!! he is old..

@Wuld Seriously dude, you should let it go! These guys are dumb to understand what you’re talking about. They played WoW ffs. WoW!! You’d have to be pretty f**ked up to play that game. Also, loved the Angry Joe review! :)