G4 to rebrand, refocus for “modern male” tastes – report

Friday, 7th September 2012 03:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Geek-favourite channel G4 may be in for a significant brand overhaul, according to entertainment industry whispers.

Variety cites anonymous sources for word that the channel may be renamed and moved “in a direction reminiscent of GQ” in early 2013.

The refresh would apparently take a more sophisticated approach to the modern male “beyond the dorm room or messy bachelor pad”. Variety theorises that this would help G4 distinguish itself from competitors Spike and Velocity, and demographic favourites like History, Discovery and A&E.

Nevertheless, the channel would remain committed to technology and video games.

G4 is over ten years old and is owned by NBC Universal. It’s beamed to 60 million households and best known for Comic Con exclusives, American Ninja Warrior, and Attack of the Show.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. hitnrun

Comcast (now parent of NBC) bought the only real US game/tech channel, Tech TV, to eliminate competition for their G4 channel, then they closed Tech TV. With no competition, they turned G4 into reruns of COPS and old E3 footage, which has been the status quo for 7 or 8 years or so.

Now they’re ending its identity as a game/tech channel entirely to go metrosexual. (The article saying otherwise is how you know they’re lying.)

2. DarkPyroZXA

as long as their “remake” includes the return of Kevin Pereira to Attack of the Show, i will be happy

3. NocturnalB

I am glad BRING BACK TECHTV! G4 has been garbage for at LEAST the past 6 years, they barely even talk about video games anymore. There’s Xplay, and AotS, which both SUCK now that Adam Sessler (a ZDTV original) and Kevin Periera are gone. The last OG (orginial gamer) is Morgan Webb.

They show those 2 shows maybe twice a week each and they rest of the time it’s reruns of Cops, and Cheaters. How do either of those shows relate to gamers or geeks in any way?

Dismantle the crap out of G4. Bring back good shit to watch like Junkyard Wars, Robot Wars, The Screen Savers, Thunderbirds, and ACTUAL tech/game news like TechLive.

Edit: Wow, read the Variety article after i posted…. If it’s going how they say it will go.. kiss anything tech or geek goodbye.

4. Stephany Nunneley

@1 “they turned G4 into reruns of COPS and old E3 footage, which has been the status quo for 7 or 8 years or so.”

THIS ^^^^^ on the rare occasion I catch a new Ninja Warrior, but it’s the same people over and over competing, and they show less of the people dressed as super heroes slash big men in little shorts and boots anymore.

That was the best part – the wackiness mixed with the actual talent.

5. evilreverend

@3 agreed. once they turned the Screen Savers into Attack of the Show, they ruined the best show on the channel. Kevin Rose was great, showing hacks and various technologies. X-Play is still okay, but i rarely watch anything on G4 anymore. they lost their way too fast. they’re the equivalent of MTV for Tech, starting out with a mission statement they stuck to until the first reality show got a bump in ratings. then suddenly it’s all COPS, Cheaters, Campus PD, etc.

6. fearmonkey

So G4 is going to be there for the modern male.

I assume this means their targeted demographic is the 20 to 30 somethings still living in their parents house, playing a few video games, and lonely because no woman wants to date a guy still living at home?

Man I loved G4 and Tech tv in the day, and now it’s trash. Execs don’t get it, they ruined what made us all love the channel to begin with, and now they are going to kill it off for good.

7. roadkill

@6 You’d wish you’d still be 20 living with your parents, doing nothing but gaming, reading, listening to music, watching movies (at the cinema or at home), playing basketball and going to the beach every other day. It is f**king awesome! I don’t have to wash, I don’t have to clean-up the house, I don’t have to prepare food and I don’t have to pay taxes. It simply can’t get better than this. And even though I will move out next year I think I’ll stay here as much as possible. And I’ll enjoy every minute of it. Being lazy is the best! And by the way, you can suck it if you think you can judge people by the fact that they live with their parents!

8. fearmonkey

@7 – lol….I was kidding actually. I’ve seen quite a few articles online lately about living at home till your 30 and over the new norm, so my comment was making fun of that.

9. TD_Monstrous69

I basically regressed from watching G4 after Adam quit, and basically only watch it once in a blue moon now that Kevin’s left to run his production company. For awhile, that network had a lot of charm to it, even though a lot of their programming did consist of COPS and Cheaters re-runs, their original stuff was still pretty good. Now I wasn’t around for the glory days of TechTV as many of you have waxingly reminised about here, so excuse my ignorance on not suggesting TechTV-esque specific things for whatever G4 may be re-worked as in the coming future. Though one thing I’d like to see on Comcast’s answer to GTTV is The Indoor Kids. I know it’ll probably never happen, but a guy can dream, right?

10. j1015

I think this will be a good thing. Cheaters and Cops had to go. Adding more tech and gaming but coupling that with others things males my age appreciate would be a welcome change. I love gaming and it’s m number one hobby but, I’m 32, have a great job, home and family. Gaming isn’t my only concern. Cars, fashion, watches are all on my radar. If it’s gaming and those other things, sign me up. Plus, bring in some real journalist. Kevin was a fanboy who didn’t even seem as though he went to journalism school. Adam was almost as bad but had that whiny voice.

It doesn’t have to go metrosexual but, it’s okay appeal to the modern man in EVERY sense.