Wii U to release on December 7 for €349, according to French retailer

Thursday, 6th September 2012 17:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Wii U will release on December 7 for €349, according to French electrical retail chain FNAC, which us currently accepting pre-orders for the console. The firm is also displaying noticeboards at its Montparnasse branch advertising the release date. Earlier this week, Video Product Distributors, the company which supplies Amazon and Blockbuster with stick, listed the console for a November 11 release. Nintendo is hosting a Wii U press event in New York City on September 13, and many feel a release date and price will be revealed at that time. Thanks, WeGotLife.

1. The_Red

Even with inflated European prices, that’s just too much. Nintendo will never over charge that much unless they plan on destroying Wii U asap.

2. monkeygourmet

My guess is £299 for a bare bones console and pad. £349.99 with a few extras.

3. Phoenixblight

Seems like too much especially with next gen around the corner and rumored to be around the same price.

4. polygem

they cannot price it too low. it is a brand new console. 299 for a base model with tablet and nintendoland and 349 for a bigger hard drive version with tablet, wiiupropad and nintendoland…something like that would be ok. i´d buy the 349 version then. they just cannot sell it for less then the actual ps3 move, 360 kinect bundles are. that´s for sure. people value stuff also by its price. sad but true.

5. Clupula

Charging this much for a current gen system is ridiculous.

6. polygem

yea clupula…………….i know. the pricing for a certain handheld and the pricing for its memory cards is totally legit though right?

by the way…just checked amazon: 360 250 with kinect is 349 euro. ps3 with 320 gb and move is 399 euro…you do know that the wiiu not only has a tablet controller but a sensor bar too? so you must compare it to the kinect/move bundle pricing. since this is a brandnew console, if you call it next gen or not, it is totally legit to not be cheaper than those ps360 offerings.

7. Christopher Jack

EB Games Australia has the estimated price of $598AUD remembering that our dollar is above parity with the USD so make that about $615USD…
    The 40GB PS3 launched at $699AUD when we were well below parity (So $627USD at the time) & the 60GB was $999AUD ($895USD).

8. Kabby

No one uses Australian prices as a benchmark for anything.

9. Phoenixblight

If you’re aim is to get motion control-centric games, thats cool. The Wii was a dust collector for me luckily I sold it after 6 months and was able to get 2x the amount that I paid for it. If you like a system that collects dust as you wait for Nintendo’s games to come out its a perfect system but for those like me who play more multiplatform games there is no need for the Wii or the Wii U since I already have both consoles that will play all the games that third party make multiplatform. The only publisher going for exclusive game is Ubisoft and Zombie U isn’t worth 350$ nor is any of Nintendo’s games.

10. polygem

@9: i couldn´t disagree more with your opinion. only part i agree with is that zombiu alone probably isn´t worth paying 350 for ;)

11. OlderGamer

Both Gamestop and Walmart initialy listed WiiU games at 100usd each. I believe Walmart still have select games listed at that mark, while other games have been adjusted to reflect the real prices of 50usd and 60usd.

Don’t believe everything you read, esp when it comes to projections.

Sounds like Sept 13th might the day to actualy learn more.

Otherwise everyone is just blowing hot air.

12. zinc

€350 is perfectly acceptable for Nintendo’s next gen console and I believe a great many people who do not feel the need to frequent online forums will agree.

Any word on if their will be connectivity between the WiiU & the 3DS?

13. polygem

@13: yes there will be – via miiverse. as far as i am concerend you´ll get one account/ gamertag linked to all your current nintendo systems. i think we will see a lot of interaction between wiiu and 3ds. it looks like nintendo finally go full force with online features/ social network stuff.

14. DrDamn

You can get a PS3/320Gb or 360/250Gb for £175 in the UK and add Move or Kinect for a total price of around £250. That’s where WiiU needs to hit *with* decent storage. I expect official pre-Christmas price drops from both too. Sony also have a redesign incoming.

15. SlayerGT

Seems about right to me. I think Nintendo is in the right spot (not buying one myself) The only things they need are a killer app, and pray the next 360/PS3 price cut (that you know is coming especially on PS3) is not too great so they don’t have to pull a price slash like the 3DS.

16. Dragon246

Oh really, 350 for a console thats on par (or even weaker) than present-gen consoles is a joke, a complete rip-off to say the least. Wii sold because of its 250$ price. Except die-hard ninty fans, I doubt many others will buy it.
    @Poly,
    “the pricing for a certain handheld and the pricing for its memory cards is totally legit though right”
    Really? The hardware is more powerful than iphone which costs more than double of it. Although I agree mem cards are overpriced.
    At least they arent trying to sell a hardware like WiiU for more than 100$ its manufacturing cost.

17. TFPtMaster

I think it’s too expensive. 299€ for the console and 49,99 for the controller, it’s my read from this price tag. If Sony and MS announce a price drop for the holidays Nintendo will have problems with the Wii U.

18. monkeygourmet

How many people buy an iPhone without contract though?

300 is fine for a new console.

‘I doubt many others will buy it’,

Shall I prepare the plate for you to eat your words off come December?

The Wii U will sell an absolute shit ton on launch, it’ll be under everyone’s christmas tree for the kiddies and family Christmas fun.

Then the cynics will weaken and get one too because it’s Nintendo in HD for Odins sake!

Nintendo have the ‘new’ tech slot which will help them even if the 360 / PS3 drop a little. They can price drop on the launch of the 720 and PS4 if needs be.

I predict they’ll show new mario, Metriod and Zelda when MS and Sony announce their new consoles! :)

Gonna be fun to watch that, High Def classic Nintendo franchises with new gameplay options VS next gen graphics grunt!

19. DrDamn

@Poly
    Agree the Vita is too expensive too. That doesn’t make this a better price does it? The price as with the Vita needs to be what people will pay. Neither have what I’d call killer reasons for Joe Public to buy either. I want a WiiU, bit can’t see what is going to convince others to shell out that sort of money on one.

20. DrDamn

What’s going to sell it though? Why is it going to be under Christmas trees?

21. OlderGamer

People used a lot of the same type of arguements for The Wii being DOA before it launched too.

It wasn’t in HD, didn’t feature online, didn’t have a traditional conroler, lacks 3rd party suport, too much money, doesn’t have a killer app, etc.

Then you couldn’t find one on the store shelf once it launched.

I am not saying that the WiiU will take off. I think the price point is super important. And don’t have a crystal ball, just saying we have been here before. You can’t condem a system because your not a fan of its name or its games. Because obviously you guys don’t like Wii, and that did alright, ya know? ;)

Best to just wait and see.

22. Dragon246

@18,
    Bets on.
    You are seeing a price drop within first year and a big drop in sales if ms and sony announce their next-gen consoles for less than 400$ which would be atleast 10 times more powerful than WiiU and will have exponentially more 3rd party support than WiiU, on which most of the good games will be 1st party and most 3rd party are shovelware and toned down versions of 720, ps4 games like on Wii .
    Also can you define”absolute shit ton” in terms of numbers?
    My guess is 4m or less for christmas and 10m or less for the year without the price drop and dropping further after ps4,720 launch.

23. zinc

@16, If I recall Sony asked for the same with the PS3, except their launch price was £500+.

@20, You yourself will be buying a WiiU. I expect ‘Joe Public’ will want one for the same reasons you have.

24. Dragon246

@23,
    Exactly. And if the trend continues, ninty will be the bottom-feeders next-gen.

25. monkeygourmet

Because its Wii HD.
    It has a tablet included (all kids want a tablet these days)
    It lets kids ply on it while there parents watch X Factor come Dancing 4 on TV
    It has Mario on it a launch (2d but a sequel to one of the best sellers)
    Nintendo online is going to be BIG with families, believe me.
    You can use existing Wii peripherals / games
    New Mii system will be an expansion of the 3DS stuff (gonna be big)
    Huge 3DS link up functionality.
    5 player split screen gaming, amazing fun at Xmas parties etc…

Anymore reasons?

26. DrDamn

I bought a Wii at launch and I could see exactly why Joe Public went mad for it. Wii Sports was killer. WiiU doesn’t have something like that.

Joe Public are excited by future asymmetric gaming possibilities? O…k…

27. monkeygourmet

Don’t fill up on Christmas dinner this year, make sure you save room for a nice big fat slice of humble pie! :)

28. monkeygourmet

Nintendoland should do the job, we’ve yet to see it fully.

29. OlderGamer

I think it does tho Doc.

Nintendoland looks great. Plus the new Tablet controler.

Tablet is a big bizz word right now. Your average shoper doesn’t have a clue about Vita to PS3/4 conectivity or about the Glass strategy MS has instore. But they know the WiiU has a Tablet. I wouldn’t underestemate the value in that.

30. monkeygourmet

This exactly!

The tablet will shift it.

Kids want tablets, this has a tablet and a console. Killer, killer, killer tech right now.

This is why Nintendo are smart, believe me, this will sell like mental on release.

31. DrDamn

Nintendo have spent the last 5 years saying you don’t need HD.

Tablet controller is fantastic, but its like the Wii without WiiSports. It’s potential.

32. monkeygourmet

When people see Nintendoland in HD they are gonna shit nostalgia bombs everywhere. Smiles all round! :)

33. Phoenixblight

“Zombie U, Assassins Creed 3, Aliens, Call of Duty etc… For the hardcore (prob best versions on consoles)”

Hardcore gamers already have systems that will play those games its called the 360 and Ps3. You can bet your bottom dollar that just like the PS3 the games will be be developed for the 360 then ported on the other systems because it is easier that way.

Nintendo will not be grabbing the hardcore and as for the casuals there is no need because tablets, smart phones, facebook already grabbing them. Nintendo doesn’t have a gimmick to sell it like the Wii.

34. monkeygourmet

Because they were still selling the wii!

When 720 and PS4 come out they’ll be saying: ‘graphics aren’t everything!’ :)

35. Dragon246

@27,
    Where are your “shit ton” numbers. Scared to tell?
    “5 player split screen gaming”
    Yeah, for what? Nintendoland? Yep, parents will surely have fun with it.
    AC3 best version? When ps3 has over an hour of exclusive gameplay? Totally true :P
    COD best version? Really? Grow up dude. Thats 360 one.
    “Because its Wii HD”
    Unfortunately people who bought wii except ninty fans dont need HD graphics. They have ps3 and 360 for that with 1000s of games in their library.
    Also buy a tasty humble pie, and send me a pic you eating it when you lose. :)

36. OlderGamer

Hardcore gamers are overrated PB.

37. Phoenixblight

I know they are but monkey is trying to say that people will have those games. If people have been playing those games already they have their console that play them. It makes the point moot.

WiiU will be for those that just have a Wii or for nintendo fanboys. THere is very little need for those that already have a 360 or Ps3 already. So Wii U for 3rd party multiplatform games is pointless. SO you get the system for Nintendo’s Ip which come out every 6months to a year. I just don’t see 350$ for the price of a few exclusive Ips especially since less than half of them what interest me. Zelda, mario kart, Metroid.

38. monkeygourmet

What can I say…

I get a lot more predictions right than Pachter! :)

Last was, 3DS would sell a shit ton and Vita would struggle.

How’s that turning out?

We will all just have to wait for Christmas then you can all buy me a pint! ;)

39. ManuOtaku

I think people tend to confuse a hardcore gamer/ avid gamer with brand lovers and/ or nintendo haters , i know brand lovers or nintendo haters will not get the WiiU, they didnt do it in the past, and neither they are going to do it this time, and heck they even wont get the other console even if it is on the same level graphics wise, this goes both ways for the other two manufactures, but i dont have any doubt in my mind that true avid gamers and casuals will get the WiiU, if the price point is good and it comes bundle with a game like nintendo land, for the rest we need to wait and see.

40. monkeygourmet

I have Wii, PS3 and 360. I will prob buy Assains Creed 3 on the Wii U if they can let you select things using the pad.

Just one example, I’m not the only one.

Aliens using the tablet as a motion tracker? Easy choice etc… Etc…

41. DrDamn

Fantastic example of what I am saying, thank you. 3DS sold shit tonnes *after* they priced it sensibly. :)

42. Dragon246

@38,
    As expected of you, you dodged the numbers and didnt respond to the holes in your fallible arguments about wiiu.

43. monkeygourmet

I think younger kids who grew up on PS1 as there first console think they are ‘hard core’, this is why a lot of Sony fans are retarded. They seem to think that because Sony made them feel ‘cool’, they invented gaming and Everything Nintendo must be cutesy.

I hate that way of thinking really. Completly anti-gameplay.

Sony made graphics more popular than gameplay.

44. Da Man

Gamers are overrated.

45. OlderGamer

I don’t know. I think it possible that those franchises will find broader audiances on the Nintendo systems.

Entertainment is funny.

But I would agree that those Multiplat games are not going to be a show of force on the system. The system would have sell extremly well, and have both the PS4 and XBNXT would have to be deleayed or stupidly over priced. Or both. If WiiU posted Wii type sales numbers, it could steal away support from MS and Sony. But I doubt that will happen.

46. ManuOtaku

#44 Da Man some gamers, not all of them, like in all in life, theres is always exceptions to the rule .

47. monkeygourmet

I think they’ll with hold stock to generate buzz like they did with Wii on launch, it’s a business tactic often used to drum up crazy excitement.

So numbers? Shops will sell out, put it that way…

48. Da Man

Srs bsns is overrated.

49. ManuOtaku

#48 Da Man English is not my first language, i didnt understood “Srs bsns”. would you tell me please what does that means?, that was aimed at me right?

50. OlderGamer

“I think they’ll with hold stock to generate buzz”

Reminds me, I need to get my preorder done soon. Also might not hurt to preorder two, maybe ebay one.

Losely translated Manu, “Srs bsns” means “I am a Troll”, I think he is just leting folks he intends to troll this thread too.

51. Da Man

No, that wasent aimed at you. I would never mock your posts, I’m serious.

srs bsns
    A contraction of ‘Serious Business’.

It’s main use is mocking, when someone takes the internet too seriously or takes a joke too seriously, people will often remark on how it is “srs bsns”.

I was mocking old man though.

52. ManuOtaku

#50 OG i think regardless of the troll comments, he sometimes makes interesting points, that sad thing is those comments are covered with troll conotations or undertones sometimes while he fights with other posters, but i want to see trough that, but like i said he sometimes brings something to the conversation, of course with his particular style.

53. absolutezero

I think blah blah blah blah industry analysis very little about actual games or how anything is going to be an impact of the actual player level.

NPD NPD NPD NPD

ONE OF US

NPD

54. OlderGamer

See, I was right!

55. monkeygourmet

Prob be able to get 500 for one on eBay at Christmas time.

I could have sold my Wii for 400 when I bought it on launch! extra beer vouchers for Christmas! :)

They always say they’ll be enough stock, then always delay it to look like its sold out… Then they make a killing in the new year when demand is at fever pitch and all the kids have Xmas money from their grand parents!

56. Phoenixblight

“I am not saying that CoD BlopsII will sell more on WiiU then it does on xb360. Even PS3 can’t match xb360 sales. But I think it will sell. And because the porting should be easy to get your product on WiiU, I bet alot of 3rd parties will do just that.”

Its actually more difficult than the PS3. Some developers will not be developing for that system because of its dev kit being harder to understand than PS3 at launch. SO developers and publishers have to worry about working with 3 vastly different architecture while the Xbox 360 is very much like developing for a PC. Its no wonder that developers develop on the 360 first than make it for the Ps3 and now the WiiU or they do it like with what EA is doing with Mass Effect 3 and giving it to a independent studio to port the game instead of wasting internal resources.

57. Da Man

Oh, so that’s how it is on the internet these days??

So if I mock someone’s attitude or post that means I troll them. Ok.

58. absolutezero

Troll is a buzzword now, its entered common parlance with all the wrong connotations.

59. Dragon246

@47,
    “So numbers? Shops will sell out, put it that way…”
    If you put it that way, vita also got sold out at many shops . And mem cards too.
    @OG,
    Hell, even best selling ps3 and 360 games are third party.

60. OlderGamer

Nintendo has a history of not having strong Dev kits, one of the dumb things they do. I doubt it is the system, and more of the kits. That is just a guess tho, I have no clue as I am not a dev and don’t program.

But after reading what a few devs have said on WiiU, I get the impression that some studios love the system while others don’t. Prolly a typical response to new hardware.

61. Erthazus

€349?

Mkay. I have no words.

62. ManuOtaku

#57 Da Man, i did use the word “troll” for the lack of better term,i think you use your style agaisnt people you consider are trolling or has double standars, and while you fight with them your style becomes trolling too, thats all, but i would change the word troll if i knew a better one, maybe baiting instead, i dont know.

63. monkeygourmet

Why don’t you like the idea of Wii U by the way?

Is it purely the, ‘there selling me old tech at a new price’ argument?

Because that’s how PC gamers feel about the 360 / PS4 and next gen, still doesn’t make them right though…

Nintendo sell at a profit. They managed to beat 2 higher powered consoles with age old tech because they don’t sell at a loss.

Why does that make you upset when they also brought us Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword? Jelly much?

64. zinc

Pokemon HD with full online multiplayer, Super Mario World 3D with drop in, drop out multiplayer, Monster Hunter HD with full online support or maybe Zelda with full open world.

Four distinct possibilities which would easily seal the deal for many.

65. monkeygourmet

Roughly translated:

“They made us have to think how to use the tablet in a meaningful way. We can’t just do direct ports…”

Boo hoo, use some creativity doosh nozzles…

66. OlderGamer

“Will ports help the system sales? Unfortunately ninty has made a “closer” system than sony or ms where most top sellers are first party and 3rd party games usually sell poorly, thus explaining poor 3rd party support.
    Hell, even best selling ps3 and 360 games are third party.”

Nope, I doubt that 3rd party games will shift systems for WiiU. But they will be a nice feather in the cap type of thing.

I think you touched on something interesting Dragon. Nintendo systems are about Nintendos 1st party games. 3rd party games just don’t do that well. I think that is a strength. It is nice to have your own franchises leading sales and moving systems. I think you can look at Sony and see their push of their own 1st party games in an attempt to do the samething.

I think it is a bonus.

Tell me MS wouldn’t enjoy seing Halo out selling CoD?

If you can sell your own hardware for a profit(w/o taking a loss on it), and your own games sell 20, 30, even 40million copies, you don’t need anyone else. That is Nintendo.

It is a good strategy, but it is one that pretty much mutes the 3rd party conversation. The long standing console aproach as we know has been about taking losses on hardware sales, and recouping that back with 3rd party licencing/game sales. But because Nintendo does what they do, they can make it on their own, doing their own thing.

67. ManuOtaku

#59 i think is because gamers get nintendo consoles just in order to play nintendo games,this changed with the wii and the all casual thing, but i think those casuals will become avid gamers, in nintendo systems, and on the other two systems too, the irony of some gamers wanting the nintendo doom, when they help them getting new gamers for their consoles too, but well back on topic since the NES and SNES, when third party games were more dominant that nintendo tittles, make the gamers notice nintendo games, but it was the third party that helped cemented the nintendo position those early generations, once that gamers tasted and see the quality of nintendo games, and later on the continuous bad decisions nintendo took in the way they did handle the third party developers back on those days, while they leave nintendo in the process for all that, put the idea of the worthy nintendo tittles on gamers, worthy enough to get the system just for those, IMHO.

68. monkeygourmet

Pokemon toys with NFC codes the tablet controller can read…

That’ll just about win next gen for Nintendo on its own…

69. Erthazus

€349 is outrageous for the system that have specs of the 6-7-8 year old hardware no matter what manufacture it is. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or Apple.

WiiU so far is just a cheap PC box with SD tablet that does not have multitouch.

Ok, i get that Nintendo fanboys will buy it for Nintendo games that are not done yet, but what is for me, for the hardcore gamer? I guess nothing really. The only thing that is interesting for me is probably some platinum game and ma-a-aybe Pikmin 3 even if it is a casual game.

I dunno, i just don’t see the value here even from a software standpoint.

and just for the fact, next year Nintendo Wii U will be “8-9-10″ year old in the hardware thing. For the PC crowd it’s probably 13-14 years. Really…

70. OlderGamer

“but what is for me, for the hardcore gamer?”

A PC.

71. polygem

if priced right: 250-350 euro depending on content/ storage. it will drop like a bomb. i have no doubt about it. it´s the videogame dream for every family interested in a console. you´ll have games for your kids, for the whole family, for wife and some that only husband will enjoy. it will sell sell sell.

72. Erthazus

@OG,
    ^ Yeah ofc. I get that.

I just dunno for what audience WiiU is. Casual people? Ehh… the price is too high for a toy.

73. OlderGamer

Like I said Erth, the price hasn’t been confirmed yet. And at launch Nintendo could have sold that system for 500usd and it would have sold.

74. Ireland Michael

Once it gets reduced to about €250 and has at least six games that I am actively excited for, I’ll definitely get one. Not a moment before though.

75. monkeygourmet

Rubbishes Wii U console…

…Places order or Wii U console and 5 games and hardcore pad

We all know you take the piss out of consoles then buy them all anyway…

Can’t take you seriously.

It’s under powered, yes.

Since when did that matter?

In 3 years your phone will be more powerful than the PS4, who gives a shit?

If anything, Nintendo are clever, there’s prob one generation left before gaming is streamed. Why waste money over engineering a console now?

Especially when PCs will still be the best choice for graphics whores

76. ManuOtaku

#72 Erthazus just for the fact that you are gaming, it doenst matter the console, PC or handheld you are playing on, for the people that dont do gaming, we all are playing toys, please we need to broke those conceptions ourselfs, if we gamers think like that among ourselves, how can we ask for anything better on the people that doens know anything about gaming, please start giving the example.

As for the price and tech issues you have, we dont know yet the price and the final hardware, therefore we cannot say how it will fare in the future, is not fact just an opinion or a probability, thats all.

77. monkeygourmet

Don’t you write for a blog?

Isn’t it your civic duty to get one (or get given one by Nintendo) so you can make informed discussion based on personnal opinion and hands on time? ;)

78. Erthazus

“We all know you take the piss out of consoles then buy them all anyway…”

So far i have PS3. You kinda failed.

“Since when did that matter?”

It does not matter. You can buy shit for 9000 USD. Your money obv, but i’m talking to people who have brains not to buy every shit they see on the internet.

79. monkeygourmet

It’s all relative to how much playtime you get out of it isn’t it?

Do you see?

Everything new sells at a premium.

Why don’t you sell your Vita?

You paid full price for it but always whine about it? Hardly good value for money!

80. Erthazus

“For example, £40 or a games is a lot, but when you get 200 hours entertainment from it, fallout, Skyrim for example, it’s great value.”

for me time is not value at all. I played for example 100+ hours in SKYRIM and for me it’s a mediocre experience once i completed every quest out there.

for some people 200+ hours is a value, sure but not for me. I love Uncharted 2:Among Thieves and it’s a 10 hour experience and for me Great game is a Great value no matter what the price it is.

“Why don’t you sell your Vita?”

1) Cause i’m an idiot for buying it at launch to begin with thinking that Sony learned it’s mistakes.
    2) No one want’s to buy it LOL
    3) After Gamescom i still have hope after TEARAWAY and I hope for the TGS.

but, i don’t regret to be honest for buying it That much. System is powerfull and I paid money for a decent technology That is future proof, I just don’t like what Sony does with the excellent hardware ’cause Excellent hardware is not for forever.

81. polygem

and that´s where i kind of disagree with you erth. i think excellent hardware can be excellent for a long time if the software is right. the ds still has great games coming out. the last one of the newer ones i bought was kirby mass attack. great software on great hardware. that´s why i think we will have a winner here with wiiu again.

82. monkeygourmet

Of course, yes playtime and enjoyment have to be together.

I enjoyed both those games, but yeah you kind of answered my question.

If people are going to love the Wii U then the price isn’t really important. Obviously if it was £600, that’s a different story.

But it’s priced accordingly.

83. DrDamn

Thing is, when have Nintendo released a console even remotely in that price range? We aren’t debating the merits of the system so much as the right price for a console, any console. It doesn’t matter if it wipes your arse after you take a shit, that is not a mainstream selling price and that is not what Nintendo normally does.

84. monkeygourmet

There were a few placeholders we’ve seen.

For all we know the 350€ console comes with a game, and hardcore pad and more?

I still think it’ll between 250 and 300 for a base package, prob nearer 300 tough.

They can kind of charge more this time because their the only new console around for he next year.

85. Phoenixblight

“Also Nintendo will be the only one next gen who won’t charge for online, Sony and MS will have to.”

You have no evidence of SOny “having” to charge for Online. PSN has proven to worth the sub but I can still play online for free. ALso Nintendo has left the online compoent up to the developers and publishers so devs and publisher have to put more money into making an online component for their games which who do you think they will give that price to?

86. monkeygourmet

Okay, let’s call it another ‘prediction’ then…

Since its almost 100% sure Sony and MS will prob sell they’re next consoles using some kind of subscription based service, that’s kind of what I’m getting at…

Sony couldn’t charge for online this gen because the PS3 cost an arm and a leg at launch. It wasn’t because they were being ‘nice’ to the consumer! It would have been business suicide…

Yeah here’s our new £550 console, and guess what, we’re going to charge for online too…

That was never going to happen.

And, lo and behold, as soon as the system price dropped, PS Plus appeared.

Everything will be ubscription based from the evidence I have seen.

87. DrDamn

MS Sony will go for a full subs cheap entry price service model. At least as an option. Like live and ps+ combined. Monthly fee. but @84 last point is a very good one. High price now, global launch and they’ll sell out to the faithful at least.

88. Clupula

So, what exactly does the price of the Vita have to do with anything?

Personally, I think the problem with the Vita is that they aren’t selling it at the same price as the 3DS. It is too expensive. I agree with you on that. When they were equal in price, the Vita was looking to destroy the 3DS, but then Nintendo lowered the price and there was no reason to buy the more expensive handheld. If Sony lowered the price of the Vita to the same the 3DS is selling at it, it’d sell a lot faster.

This is only going to sell to the Nintendo crowd, especially at that ridiculous price. No one is going to buy a Wii U to play games they can already get on PS3 and 360.

89. Clupula

And I seriously doubt Sony will ever charge for basic online services. Of course, they’ll add things to sweeten the deal for Plus service, but to just out and out charge to get online. Won’t happen.

90. Phoenixblight

“Next gen, thy will both offer online pricing alongside season passes, mark my words.”

Yeah 3rd party on WiiU will be doing the same it doesn’t make it better or worse. Its what it is. The business model works for the publishers and they won’t be letting that go and it will be on the WiiU as well since Nintendo is letting the devs and publishers have free reign with their online stuff.

You are wrong about PSN they didn’t change the model of it because it was free to begin with that was one of it USPs at launch. PS Plus is just a service to give you discounts and free games for 15$ a month like a discount card from retailers. It doesn’t stop me from going in to the store and getting stuff but it does encourage me to buy stuff.

91. Clupula

“It´s the videogame dream for every family interested in a console.”

Do Nintendo fans ever speak in anything but hyperbole?

92. monkeygourmet

Again, we’ll see next gen! ;)

They will, even if it’s some kind of stealth system like PS plus is.

Better value, but it’s still a subscription.

93. Phoenixblight

“stealth system like PS plus is”

Trolololol

94. Clupula

They can charge for everything but basic online play/patches and I’ll be happy. As long as I can go on Street Fighter V and play against my cousins without having to pay anything, I’ll be perfectly fine.

Nintendo, on the other hand, everything I am hearing about their online service just screams chaotic mess. It sounds like what the PS3 network was like for the first year or two. Letting developers decide whether or not to put achievements in their games, letting everyone work with their own systems without any uniformity…it’s going to be a mess. Like the Konami code bullshit, but on a much, much larger scale.

Not to mention, still using “friend codes” instead of getting with the rest of the world and just giving people screennames. It sounds like the Hindenburg of online systems.

95. monkeygourmet

And wait till Sony move the goal posts with PS Plus for PS4.

I bet it’ll become mandatory for online play just like Gold Xbox Live.

It’s what they do, they’ve suckered people into paying, then they’ll remove features, add a more but charge a greater amount.

Again, just my opinion but well see what happens eh?! :)

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig

96. Clupula

And yes, I am aware that’s hyperbole. I’m speaking Nintendo.

97. Clupula

But they haven’t suckered people into paying. I look at the people on my PSN and only four of them have PS+. It’s not a popular program and it’s also why I believe FFXIV will flop on PS3, because Playstation gamers are not willing to pay a subscription fee, and Sony knows that.

Do you think they WANT to give free games to people? Of course, not. But they know that they have to sweeten the pot a great deal in order to get us to pay at all. Forcing us to do it outright is just going to fail for them.

98. monkeygourmet

Tank, tank, tank already shows online with photos of each player above their vehicle while playing! Sounds fun to me! :)

99. Clupula

“You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig”

That is probably the most ironic thing anyone who says that the Wii U is a dream come true could possibly say.

100. Clupula

@98 That sounds annoying actually. I barely tolerate people’s screennames ruining the illusion of a game, nevermind a full picture.

Not that it has a single thing to do with what I said.

101. monkeygourmet

Also, how do you think Gaikai will factor in to your beloved PSN?

More payments I’m sure…

102. monkeygourmet

Yes, but you clearly have no understanding of the final Nintendo network solution or how they will implement it in games…

I’m sure they’ve put a lot of money in considering its their weakest area

103. Clupula

My “Beloved PSN?” “Final (Nintendo network) solution?” Who are you, Ming the Merciless? Talk like a fucking human being.

104. Phoenixblight

TEA = monkeygourmet but for Nintendo

105. monkeygourmet

I think I’ll enjoy playing it with my friends, I’ll also enjoy playing the 720 and PS4 too.

One thing I haven’t got is a weird PS3 boner.

Don’t worry, it’s not your company to defend…

SDF out in force again

106. Clupula

You are so good at throwing out slogans and catchphrases while dodging anything anyone actually says. Have you ever considered a future in American politics?

107. Phoenixblight

“One thing I haven’t got is a weird PS3 boner.”

Says the one that has one for Nintendo. Every comment that has criticized Nintendo you have defended against.

Go look in the mirror dude.

108. monkeygourmet

I’ve made all my points, answered anything ive thought was relevant.

Only time will see who’s been talking rubbish.

I don’t mind admitting if I’ve been wrong, but nothing I’ve said has been revolutionary.

I have a PS3, it’s okay, but I don’t feel the need to defend it.

Man, get a grip!

109. monkeygourmet

Most play time this gen has been 360, PS3 then Wii. Check gamerscore.

Insert credit, try again…

110. Clupula

“If you can’t handle anyone giving you some home truths about a console you own and the direction future revisions are potentially heading, you need to stop stressing out so much.”

Hello, Mr. Kettle, this is Mr. Pot. Oh, he’s what, you say?

111. Phoenixblight

Look at the thread 70% of them are your comments defending Nintendo.

Could careless about your gamerscore. I call it like I see it.

112. monkeygourmet

I started this thread explaining why I thought this price was about par for the course of a new console release. (go and check)

I don’t defend, I just make people realise they are living in ‘glass’ houses.

Especially crazy SDF bots

113. Phoenixblight

As I am sure every fan boy says to other people. “They are only teaching them they are wrong.” amirite?

You aren’t teaching anyone anything especially since most of your comments have been opinions and conjecture with no evidence other than because “It’s just a culmination of watching the 3 companies fight for a foothold in different ways in a shifting environment. I’ve read a lot, played a lot and have based my theories on videogames on these experiences.”
    You are no more right than the people criticizing Nintendo or any other company. If you want to continue to beat off your ego to explain why you’re right go ahead but no one is listening. I find it quite funny to read though.

114. monkeygourmet

What are your predictions surrounding next gen?

It’s a gaming forum, all we do is make predictions and discuss.

I’ll maybe write a piece for the forum, you can have a read then if you want.

115. magnumfinger

Just like what Iwata said on January, 2012. The console will be out “before christmas”. http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/nintendo-wii-u-sales-release-date-before-christmas-2012/

116. polygem

sales will tell. haters will hate.

@monkey: you made your points very clear. they just ignore most of it and take only what they want to hear, then twist and turn it so it fits their opinion. arguments do not count. nintendo just sucks for them (they think). they don´t give it a chance/they will maybe regret that one day. any serious gamer cannot miss out on many of the nintendo games imho. those guys call themselves the hardcore crowd…lol…i – like you- have all the current gen systems, i doubt they do. it´s always the same. as soon as these guys feel like losing the grip they start the nitpicking…they mostly lose the grip fast…soooooooo….

117. Phoenixblight

Yes we aren’t serious gamers because we don’t see a value in paying 350$ for hardware that is dated and offers nothing more than Nintendo IPs.

The only games of Nintendo I have enjoyed is Zelda,Smash Bro,Metroid,Mario Kart and Rare’s games back in the N64 days. 350$ is not a value for those 4 games and Nintendo Land doesn’t do it for me. Thankfully I have friends that got the Wii and plan on Wii U that allow me to borrow their system in order to play their games. Thats how I played Skyward sword without dropping a dime. My friends Wii was collecting dust so he was willing to let me borrow it in exchange for me letting him borrow my Infamous 2.

118. Dragon246

A monkey is a monkey. What he didn’t respond to are follows-
    1. How are 3rd party games better on wiiu when other version have exclusive games.
    2.How the hell does he know that psn isn’t going to be free next-gen.
    3.What is the slate of exclusives on wiiu after launch window.
    And many others.
    Ps Plus is the most value for money you get for any subscription in the entire games industry. Tell me any other service which provides MORE THAN 45 GAMES free , and 1000$ of discounts, not to mention early access to betas and demos. None are there.
    But of course you don’t know as you lost yourself in ninty land.
    @OG and Manu
    That’s precisely what I said. If you have no interest in 1st party ninty games, then owning a ninty console is useless. Whereas ps and xbox provide awesome 3rd party games along with 1st party offerings and hence have larger diversity in their catalogue.
    Mario can only sell 30-50m units, (see sales of previous ninty consoles)rest of the wii sales came from motion games. I doubt wiiu has something as revolutionary as wiis motion gaming. Not to mention the fact that wii launched at 250$. But this time they launching it at 100$ higher when they could have made a profit at 250$ as current gen consoles do.

119. monkeygourmet

I will be buying the Wii U mainly for exclusives. But it’ll be also nice to pick up sone 3rd party offerings too if the Wii U version is better.

Assassins Creed offering more content on PS3 doesn’t really make it the ‘better’ game, we don’t even know the extent ofthe content yet. Just sayin’.

I use the PS3 just for exclusives. Most 3rd party ports in the first 3/4 of it’s life were god awful. The 360 was killing it everytime.

It’s got slightly better, but still in a lousy state, how you enjoying Skyrim by the way?

So to make the argument Wii U is only good for exclusives is a bit short sighted seeing i mainly know people who have bought the PS3 for the exact same reasons. It’s just the Wii, Wii U aren’t going to cost £500 plus on launch like the PS3 did…

You could say Sony packed features in, i wouldn’t.

A lowspeed Bluray drive that has pretty much hindered games for the first part of it’s life.

The Cell proccessor, again Sony wanting to go the wacky route even if it comprimises it’s own game development.

Low memory allocation (even at the time).

etc… etc…

All you were paying for on launch was a fucking Bluray player. But, hey, yeah i guess it’s great having to put up with alwful ports, long loading times, an old fashioned pad and constant updates for the first 3 years of a consoles life…

I can’t wait for Sony to get the old 4K Blurray wagon rolling with PS4, Yay!!! I would love to update all my media again, thank you Sony!

And im sure games will be better too on a 4K Disk!!! (Yay, 6 hour long cutscenes)

Answering your questions:

1. Don’t know what you mean?

2. Because we will all be paying subscriptions in some way or another to make up for the fact these next gen consoles are going to have to last another 10 years in one way or another.

Sony can’t price the PS4 like the 3 and MS can’t afford that either.

So, in some way, your going to be paying extra. Wether you wan’t to justify that by saying onlines still “free” or whatever, well thats up to you!

Just because something is better value, doesn’t mean it’s free. I don’t think Sony will out and out say, “Now your paying for online gaming”, but i don’t think you’ll have an option to not pay a subsricption cost before you can access there online features.

So, it’s going to be corperate spin is what im saying, same as MS and Gold.

Nintendo ‘have’ to offer online free with the Wii U in the same way Sony did with PS3.

also,

people saying it’s over priced…

Again thats what PC games say about the PS3 and 360… You can get a graphics card thats twice as powerful for £30 quid.

This way of thinking doesn’t really work.

120. Dragon246

I only bought ps3 after slim was released and it had a decent library. Bought xbox360 6 months earlier than that. Not spending 350 for a exclusive only console that I have very little interest in.
    Also refrain from saying anything if you don’t know shit about it. Check how much is 2x speed for blu ray.
    Also tell me where I can buy a 30$ rig for playing games. Rigs and consoles play games, graphics card alone don’t.
    Still not telling the numbers eh?

121. DrDamn

“people saying it’s over priced…”

PC Gamers, PS3 and 360 doesn’t matter one bit in the argument. It’s about what is a good price to sell a home console. Ignore features, specs, manufacturer, even games. The price needs to be acceptable for what people think you should pay for this type of product. Nintendo have traditionally been very good at setting their launch prices, not necessarily in terms of value, not in terms of specs but in terms of “This is what people expect to pay for this type of product”. They have consciously been very good at thinking, this is the price we want to hit and this is how we do that with the features we want to include. This price isn’t good, it’s that simple.

122. monkeygourmet

We don’t have a 100% agreement on the price yet.

And, as much as you say otherwise, most of the negativity here is based on low tech / price ratio.

Let’s say the console is a bit more powerful than 360.

It has free online (from what we’ve heard)

Full Wii backwards compatibility

Smallish hard drive / solid state

Potential pack in of Nintendo land

A tablet controller that obvs has an extra screen, beaming tech, motion sensors, rumble, NFC reader, camera and mic.

And it’s a new launch. £299 for the base unit seems about right to me.

If it was £199.99, where do they go once 720 etc… Is announced?

123. DrDamn

True, but it’s more in reaction to the news article than confirmed prices. US prices were rumoured to be $250/$300/$350 the other day too. Maybe this one is the top end.

Again though, stop listing features as justification for the price. Whether this is a good price or not is based purely on what people will pay for a new console. Hitting $250 and less than £250 is very important.

124. OrbitMonkey

@123, “stop listing features as justification for price”?

That makes no sense. Here’s a box, I will not tell you what’s in it. It costs £300. Good price?

125. DrDamn

The point is that for sales purposes people will already have a figure in their head as to what they will be willing to pay for a new console. Nintendo does very well in hitting those figures (bar the initial hiccup with 3DS) – Sony not so much. It will play some fun games, that’s the bottom line. How much am I willing to pay for something which plays some fun games? Ultimately funky features matter not one jot *if* the price isn’t right.

126. polygem

250 to 350 Euro is perfectly priced…i really cannot see why people are complaining about it. the 3ds xl is 199 and it sells pretty damn well. wiiu is a home console with a tablet controller and probably a game packed in. IT MUST be at least 250 euro. anything else would make no sense. it´s not always the best strategy to go for the cheapest possible price. it must be reasonably priced. like dr said, people must feel like what they pay for is worth the value they will get for that price. 250 to 350 is not too much for a brandnew home console, but it´s not too cheap either. people will see the value in it. if this price is true i think they totally nailed the pricing…

127. ManuOtaku

#126 Agree polly and basecally because we dont know with certainty two aspects, the final tech under the hood, and more importantly, what is bundle with the console, games, controllers, size of the memory, etc, therefore at this point is pure speculation.

I believe that nintendo should and needs to bundle nintendoland with every unit sold since launch, if they dont do that, they will be making a big mistake, i hope they did learned from the wii and 3ds releases.

p.s Also dont want to sound like a broken record, but gamers that dont see with good light nintendo games, for whatever reason, valid or not, that can bebated, should think in their kids and/or future kids, i mean the upcoming generation of gamers, and for that stop wanting nintendo failure or that the leave this industry for good, because when you have kids, and if you want them to play games, chances are that a nintendo console will be involve in his playing time, and therefore when he will become a more avid while he grows, he can then go with the other videogames companies and/ or can keep playing nintendo games, therefore i think is good we have nintendo in this industry, just to keep the healthy growth of this hoobie, and maybe while you play with your kids you will end up enjoying nintendo games too, i know iam, therefore i dont think is that wild idea to have your prefered console alongside with a nintendo console, or at least dont think only in your likes or dislikes, think in the big picture with empathy, i mean in the future gamers, that can be your kids too.

128. Dragon246

Well priced for you but not for people with little interest in ninty 1st party games (millions of wii owners just bought it for motion control not for mario).
    ‘It MUST be priced 250 euros’
    Why? Isn’t cheaper better?
    In the end we are all hypothesizing. Its fate will be decided by customers who are much more varied than people commenting here.

129. polygem

people will buy it a gain because of the tablet…and mario is a system seller even to non gamers. everyone knows mario.

cheaper isn´t always better. nope. things need a value by it´s pricing too. call it perverted but it is the law of the market. for nitntendo and the wiiu everything under 250 euro would be bad pricing. guys like you ;) would be the first to rape it with cheap shovelware arguments: “look at the price of that thing. it´s a cheap toy, nintendo know it´s not worth shit so they sell it that cheap, it´s not even a REAL console with that price, just a toy, if it would cost more noone would buy it”….stuff like that.

130. monkeygourmet

Pretty much this. If it had been too cheap, people would have still found something to whine about.

Of course cheaper is nicer on the pocket, but Nintendo will almost certainly have to lower the price when next gen launches.

My prediction is they’ll start to announce Zelda, Mario, 2 dual touch pad games and maybe a small price cut to interrupt Sony and MS.

£299.99 I think is fine for this console. Didn’t the PS1 and Saturn launch for £349 and £399?! Even SF2 on the Snes was £64.99! Just for one game!!!

I think £299 would present good value, but again we don’t have long to wait!

131. Dragon246

@ 129
    Just like ‘non-gamers’ bought n64 and gamecube because everyone knows mario.
    And tablet, really ? The only resistive tablets available in the market now are cheap chinese ones, and they will be joined by wiiu.
    Also like I said earlier 250 is good, 350 isnt . I am waiting to see the difference in versions.
    And poly, can you tell me how to rape a console? Is it legal?

132. OlderGamer

Amazing, we have a Nintendo positive thread/article

And another rock throwing at Nintendo thread goes over 125posts.

The positive thread has around 14posts as of writting this.

This what the NDF(lol, I like that term), means when we talk about haters just want to hate(on Nintendo).

133. ManuOtaku

OG we should make T-Shirst with the NDF logo on the front and our avatars on it, on the back, it will rock :)
    p.s including polly and monkeygourmet of course

134. OlderGamer

lol, love it ;)

135. sh4dow

“sales will tell.”

Exactly. Because for the last couple of generations, it was the console that sold the most that was the worst: PSX, PS2, Wii

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles )

136. ManuOtaku

^Oh man i miss SEGA consoles too, i wish they one day decide to make a comeback and join the fray, although maybe is an almost impossible scenario.
    p.s and yes i agree dreamcast and gamecube were great consoles, with great control pads, an fun games.

137. Dragon246

I heard Sega is planning something big for near future a month ago. Just don’t know what they are planning.

138. ManuOtaku

#137 Dragon if thats the case i will keep my fingers crossed the whole month ;)
    p.s with skies of arcadia 2, shenmue 3 as a launch tittles

139. polygem

@dragon. raping a console is legal but it never makes sense.
    wii opened the door for many many new gamers…mario as a franchise today is indeed a much bigger system seller than it was in the n64 or gamecube aera…but all of this is pure speculation. we can have this discussion a year after wiiu´s launch. i really cannot see it fail (if priced right: 250 to 350 euro), we´ll see…

NDF SHIRTS: COUNT ME IN! all our miis in smash bros brawl style on the front!

140. fearmonkey

I admit I love these Epic Nintendo Wiiu threads, always entertaining :)

My personal wish is that the Wiiu sells like hotcakes as competition is a good thing, keeps the other console makers working hard. Its a great thing for consumers.

I wanted to desire a Wiiu at launch but nothing I have seen really makes me have to have one, so Im going to wait and see. I’ll probably be better off doing that as I’ll get some new color or package deal that way eventually. If it’s true that there isn’t a scaler that scales it up to 1080, then i may not buy one. I guess I’ll wait and see how the games turn out. If there is a super mario 64 type of game, i’ll be much more tempted.

I have said this before but all my hardcore gamer friends that currently own a Wii aren’t planning on getting a Wiiu, and they seem unexcited about it. My Wii owning friends that only own a Wiiu either didn’t know about the Wiiu, thought the controller was an upgrade for their current Wii, or just don’t seem to care really. I realize that the hardcore Nintendo fans will get one so initial sales will be great, but I wonder how many of those casual gamers that bought a Wii will get one. The wii sold like crazy because it was cheap, something very new with its motion gaming, and was very casual and approachable for non-gamers. The Wii was an “It” item.

A more costly system with a tablet, cool as it may be, may not bring the fired up frenzy that the Wii enjoyed as it was the right product at the right time. The Wiiu isn’t guaranteed to have that same acceptance.

I want it to succeed, I’m no fanboy, but the Wiiu story will be interesting to watch it unfold.

141. polygem

i am definiteley someoene you´d call a hc gamer, owning all consoles and playing games for over 25 years…and i want a wiiu much more than i want a ps4 or nextbox. yea, that´s maybe because i love nintendo games but i know other gamers, aged 30+ that are “hardcore” but interested in a nintnedo consoles too. one of my friends is also definiteley a “hardcore” gamer. he plays mainly on pc (his ps3 is collecting dust by the way, he just told me recently, he only plays fight night on it from time to time. he said: everytime i turn that thing on i need to make a freaking update for an hour, i hate that thing, stupid consoles…lol), he wants a wiiu badly,literally cannot wait. also excited about the tablet and what nintendo will do with it to implement it into the games. he can also see his kid enjoy playing on the tablet too a lot. like drawing stuff and so on. he likes nintendo games because he feels they are the only games he can play with his girlfriend and their kiddo together. he also said that he doesn´t need consoles really because the experiences there are so similar to what he can get on the pc. the nintendo games are different though, he craves different gaming experiences and this is where nintendo delivers, that´s why he has a 3ds where he enjoys super mario 3d land (wont buy resident evil, too much pc/ console game), mario kart and so on, while his non gaming gf loves to play layton and nintendogs alone or with their kid or alltogehter…many of my non gamer friends bought a wii because they were excited about the motion control thing. they all have jobs and i am pretty sure they would have bought the wii for 400 euros too. i a agree that pricing is important, but again 250 to 350 seems really good to me.
    i recently talked to a close friend of mine who very rareley plays games, the typical casual guy, he has a wii and an ipad, rareley using both for games and he said that he is excited about the wiiu because it has a tablet controller. that´s a big mainstream thing right now, tablets going mainstream is still prety fresh but at the same time not too new anymore. everybody knows what it is and almost everybody slightly interested in tech wants one, kids and adults alike. i think nintendo really have a great feeling for what the mass market wants in gaming. great timing. but that´s just me. i agree. the wiiu story will be an interesting one.

142. Da Man

It’s almost double the price of Wii at launch..

143. absolutezero

“cheaper isn´t always better. nope. things need a value by it´s pricing too.”

W w what? You heard it here first folks the WiiU is now both a luxury item akin to an iPad aswell as being the perfect console for families.

Jesus Christ.

144. Digital Bamboo

Are all consoles that much more expensive in Europe?

I can’t see many people paying $400+ for a new Nintendo console in Canada. I just got a refirbished Wii for the equivalent of 79 Euros for crapssake.

I’d be surprised if this were true. Around $300 seems like a reasonable upper limit to me.

145. polygem

@143: what the hell are you making up here…i never compared the wiiu to the ipad. all i said is that tablets are a big thing. people want them. the wiiu is delivering a gaming experience with a tablet controller. still it is different from an ipad. where can you buy an ipad for 250 to 350 euros by the way? please don´t put your thoughts into my mouth will ya…you made up that comparisson all by yourself. jesus christ indeed.

146. sh4dow

@ 136:

“yes i agree dreamcast and gamecube were great consoles, with great control pads, an fun games.”

Haha funnily enough, I originally DID write exactly what you said (before I edited it – which was still before you posted your reply though… I think). So the opposite – not the best-selling console being the worst but the worst-selling console being the best.

But while that would be true for Dreamcast and Game Cube, I still enjoyed the N64 more than the Saturn. Also the SNES more than the Genesis (Yes, up until the Wii, I used to be quite a Nintendo fan).
    And in this generation, the horrible pricing sure doesn’t make the worst-selling PS3 my favorite. Then again you have the RROD for 360s, which makes the price/performance ratio just as bad. So you have the IMO awful Wii and the only slightly better but still awful PS3/360… Can you guess that I hated this generation? ;)
    Which is exactly why I worry that the recent history may indeed repeat itself…

147. Dragon246

Europe is nothing compared to m country where I bought vita for more than 400$ as I needed a new handheld badly and 3ds just isn’t an option here as ninty games sell here for like goddamn 60$ for a 3ds and wii game. Hell even 3ds and wii sells for more than 300$ each.