Minecraft on Steam would make it hard to control registered users

Thursday, 6th September 2012 02:15 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson has said Mojang is constantly considering putting the game on Steam, but is not sure how to work through issues with user registration.

Persson has said in the past that he has a philosophical objection to putting Minecraft on Steam – namely, that he’s reluctant to allow Steam to dominate the PC gaming market – but while speaking to the PA Report, he said that there’s an important practical issue too.

“We have so many registered users, and with Steam we can’t really control those users. So for us it can’t really go on Steam. But for many other developers it makes a lot of sense,” he said.

“I’m constantly debating whether or not we should put it up on Steam anyway. Because the people could even get a Steam code if they buy the game, I don’t know what they would really do.

“Or if we should just not do Steam at all and try to come up with our own thing, or whatever. Right now we don’t know what we’re going to do. We’re just focused on the games still. It’s an interesting opportunity, so we try not to waste it.”

On Steam in general, Persson seems pretty enthusiastic – with one caveat,

“I think Steam is a very good service for the customers. The only thing I don’t like is that they reserve the right to remove all your games and account, which is bullshit. I understand the legal reasons, and they have to do it for their partners, and I don’t think they’re going to do anything, they’re not going to remove it. But having that constant threat is not cool,” he said.

“I want to buy a game and be able to play it in 20 years. I still play Doom, I don’t want it to be Valve closes down and I can’t access my games, and then I have to do it through piracy. That’s the only thing I don’t like towards the players.”

1. jacobvandy

“Control those users,” how? The only reason anyone has a Minecraft account is so that they have something to tie a cdkey to, so they can login and the game says “okay, you’re allowed to play.” THAT IS WHAT STEAM DOES AT ITS MOST BASIC LEVEL. Plenty of games keep their own discrete account information… You could just distribute the game for free with access to Creative mode, then sell a DLC that costs $25 or whatever to enable access to Survival, and the existing user account infrastructure could remain in place and stay almost exactly the same!

Notch obviously has his own reasons why he doesn’t want to put Minecraft on Steam, but if he’s going to give bullshit excuses, he could at least give ones that make sense.

2. Virginityrocks

Yes, but he also said he’s considering ‘his own thing’. Remember, Steam started as just an athenticator and automatic patcher for Counter-Strike, Half-Life and a way to distribute Half-Life 2 online. It wasn’t until years later that they decided to start selling other people’s games on the service, which started off as random shitty indie games. I think what he’s trying to say is that, like Half-Life 1, Minecraft has a lot of popularity, and with that popularity you have the opportunity to create a system, which, in time, can take the form of a digital distribution system. He has the option of doing that, and putting his game on Steam would kill that idea.

3. Old MacDonald

He forgets that he’d have to put it on Greenlight first.

4. Sadismek

@3 Every developer has to do that nowadays? Even Rockstar, Activision and the other big ones? They must have some kind of contract, right?

Anyway, if that were to happen, imagine that it’ll get the approval of the users in no time. Then we’ll probably see a game approved through Greenlight, because at this rate, there will be none.

5. datass

That fat fuck should GTFO, nobody cares about his shitty game, steam dont need no crap

6. deathm00n

He don’t get the game to steam because it’s too mainstream, he’s a hipster people

7. DSB

@3 Nah, Greenlight is meant for the developers that Valve don’t want to commit to, without those 150,000 likes.

If you have a great game, indie or no, they’ll still take your call.

8. sh4dow

Well I kind of find it disappointing that they would even want to support this cancer to gaming.