Total War Battles: Shogun lead feels 70% of games on the market “aren’t good enough”

Wednesday, 5th September 2012 17:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Speaking with Edge during the Unite 2012 conference in Amsterdam last month, Charpentier feels more developers focus on the technological aspect instead of prototyping and refining gameplay.

“When you look at the market, probably 20 to 30% of the games are confident, and maybe 60 to 70% are not good enough,” he said. “Usually, they run. Most of them don’t crash – most are competent technically. Most of them look okay or even good, but they play like shit.

“[Developer's] biggest risk is not on the tech, not on the art, it’s on the design. You have to front-load that: it has to drive many of the other decisions. Hopefully that’s something we manage to do at Creative Assembly, and that we managed to do with Battles, but it’s still something that I think is lacking [in the industry] and it has to change.

“We can’t keep releasing games that anyone can tell are not interesting to play after 30 minutes when 20 or 30 people spent two years working on them. It doesn’t make any sense.”

Charpentier said its impossible for a developer to turn a “turd into a great game to play” with just a few weeks left in the production cycle; therefore more emphasis must be placed on design as well as prototyping early on in development.

“Is not about writing a 100-page document of design that is totally useless, no one will read and will be out of date by the time they do,” he said. “It’s about crafting the game. For that you need tech that is ready. But the engineer tells you the animation system for combat won’t be ready in four months. What do you do? You’re blocked. You can’t be absolutely sure that certain timings will work [or] certain controls.

“As a player, I hate going through the burden of downloading a game, installing it, rebinding the controller, going through the tutorial, playing another couple of hours and then realising it’s fucking boring.”

Total War Battles: Shogun now available for PC and Mac.

1. OlderGamer

“Total War Battles: Shogun lead Renaud Charpentier is of the opinion that up to 70% of games on the market “aren’t good enough.””

Me either.

2. SlayerGT

OG what’s your all time favorite game? The number one best game you think has ever been made.

3. OlderGamer

Well, 2 different questions I think.

My all time fav games:

M59
    PSO
    Civ IV/V
    Mechassult
    Aliens Online
    Titan Quest:IT

My nominies for best game ever made:

Tetris
    World of Warcraft
    Mario Kart
    Pac-Man
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Castlevania SoTN
    Tempest
    Street Fighter 2

Just off the top of my head of course. And I often use important turning point games as Best ever. Because they may be great or they may just be so influential that they chnaged games after it.

4. SlayerGT

Just curious. Trying to get a feel for your tastes a bit. Fav genre? MMORPG?

5. OlderGamer

I prolly enjoy action RPGs a tad more then MMOrpgs. But the two generes share a lot of the same artibutes. But really I enjoy a lot of different generes. I love racers, just not many of them any more.

I would much rather play Speed Devils Online(Dreamcast) then Forza, GT, NFS, Dirt or almost anything cureently out that you can think of. Why?

Speed Devils had online classes that you could buy(in game money no dlc shit), and then you can upgrade your car. You race, earn cash based on where you finish(online) and then, then you could save up enough cash and buy a better class of car to move up. Then you raced other players in the same class. That was a great idea, and they pulled it off extremly well. And all of the while, no one was flying off the track. the cars handled well, and players would race bumper to bumper. I had tons of races where all six players would be in one fluid pack. Racing for positions, against players, not against some cranked up physics engine. It was insane fun. I will never ever forget that experience of playing that game. Nothing else has ever come close. Racingwise.

I feel that way about a lot of games. Many of todays games, to me, feel hollow. They feel like liflesss monitized over hyped empty experiences.

Prolly a lot of that has to do with my age.

And keep in mind I don’t feel all games are like that. But very few games, really stand out to me.

6. DSB

The best game ever made was either Little Big Adventure 2 or UFO: Enemy Unknown.

You’re trolling OG, as usual!

7. SlayerGT

I hear ya. Wow Speed Devils :) I wasn’t fortunate enough to play online thou. I played the hell out of Le Man’s 24hrs on Dreamcast too. Miss that game. I always like to understand what it is you’re trying say. I value your thoughts to some extent.

8. SlayerGT

Shit Toyko Extreme Racer, Metropolis Street Racer, Super Run About, Rush 2049. I’m seeing a trend here.. :/

9. OlderGamer

I loved Le Man’s 24hrs.

“I’m seeing a trend here.. :/”

Yeah, I agree :(

I remember the first time I played SSX on my PS2, or the first time I sat down with Punch Out on NES, or played online with PSO on my Dreamcast, those are a cple of examples of near gaming nervania. Very rarely do I find anything even remotly close to moving me like that any more. It has made me jaded.

Some gems are still out there tho.

10. SlayerGT

Indeed. I’m not super excited for the next Gen of consoles but, as i have been with every new generation, i hope I’m surprised. In the games and the practices, be it services or game development.