Steam Greenlight introduces $100 submission fee

Wednesday, 5th September 2012 01:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Greenlight, Steam’s community-driven game approval service, will now require an up-front fee in order to discourage trolls.

Since its launch on August 30, Greenlight has seen a number of inappropriate submissions, including sexually explicit content, a “WTC plane sim” and hopeful entries like Half-Life 3. Valve has been kept quite busy knocking them down.

“There is unfortunately a significant amount of noise and clutter being submitted, either as a joke or by fans not fully understanding the purpose of Greenlight,” Valve’s Alden Kroll said in a Steam Community post, probably more generously than the perpetrators deserve.

As a result, developers will now need to pay a one-time fee of $100 on each submission to Greenlight. All proceeds will go straight to Penny Arcade’s Child’s Play charity.

“We have no interest in making money from this, but we do need to cut down the noise in the system,” Kroll said.

Developers who have already submitted will not be retroactively charged.

Happily, this isn’t the only discoverability measure Valve will implement; it’s also personalised Greenlight queues, so that upon logging in, community members are presented with a mix of new and popular games which, importantly, they haven’t yet rated.

Greenlight is a community-driven approval system for developers hoping to get their game on the world’s most popular PC distribution service.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. DSB

Sweet move.

2. Stardog

700 games too late. It should’ve started at $5 or something like the Google Chrome Webstore, then jumped to this. $100 is probably to much. Maybe $50 is enough.

The voting buttons have also changed to Yes and No/Not Interested. They still need to split it into a 3rd option of “Others would buy, but I won’t.” I would have to give Call of Duty a No at this point.

These decisions still aren’t that great from Valve, and doesn’t bode well for the future of the service. It seems like the people in charge don’t have a clue what they’re doing.

3. Phoenixblight

This is a great idea. Will get rid of all those hobbyists that are just flooding greenlight.

4. Sadismek

It’s a pretty good idea, but I’ll have to agree with @2. Also, it’s almost impossible to get your game on Steam that way, it seems the amount of up-votes is huge. And I’ve seen some titles that are probably gems I’ll never have in my collection :(

5. Yoshi

$100 is fine. It’s not too much and it’s not too cheap, $100 doesn’t take long to gather and it all goes to charity which is a bonus.

6. freedoms_stain

I don’t know that “hobbyists” were the issue.

Probably to dissuade the spam like “Battlefield 3″ and “Half-Life 3″ and other games that aren’t on Steam or released yet that dumbasses put up on there.

7. silkvg247

Way to shut out all indie devs. How about threatening to ban the trolls instead?

This is terrible news.. I would have never submitted my game if this had been in place sooner, and whilst I’ve had mixed reactions to my submission, I’d say overall it’s been cool to get some brand new ideas on steam via greenlight; including mine.

Steam is now a non option for any of my future releases, I don’t fancy gambling $100 on whether I’ll get 150k likes.

Today my faith in valve plummeted.

It’s probably intentional, they clearly only want existing industry devs on there, for whom $100 is pocket change.

8. Old MacDonald

Steam Greenlight was a horrid idea to begin with. I want the upcoming Steam selection to be decided by people with a clue. Now it’s a stupid popularity contest.

Edit: And the new way of listing projects is absolutely dreadful.

9. DSB

@7 Banning trolls wouldn’t work. Threatening them even less.

100 dollars isn’t a prohibitive sum. It’s two copies of a AAA-game, or a half-decent night out on the town. Of course it’s a lot of money if you have a 0$ budget for your game, but as a measure to discourage the less ambitious developers out there, I think it does the job.

10. Da Man

So you have to pay more than on the evil likes of Apple’s store? This is common sense though.

Perhaps at one point in time they’ll realize you’ll have to implement basic censorship.

11. Phoenixblight

ANdroid, Apple charge the same amount and it goes in their pocket. 100$ is a drop in the pond compared to all the other software you pay for.