Gibeau: “I still passionately believe in single-player games”

Wednesday, 5th September 2012 23:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

EA Labels boss Frank Gibeau has clarified earlier comments about not green lighting single-player games, re-establishing the publisher’s support for the solo experience.

Speaking at a Cloud Gaming USA Conference Q&A, Gibeau had said that in recent times he had “not green lit one game to be developed as a single player experience”. In a follow-up interview with Kotaku, the executive said he didn’t mean that a game has to have multiplayer components to be financed by EA – but it does not to have some connectivity plan in place.

“You can have a very deep single-player game but it has to have an ongoing content plan for keeping customers engaged beyond what’s on the initial disc. I’m not saying deathmatch must come to Mirror’s Edge,” he said.

“What I’m saying is if you’re going do it, do it with an open-world game that’s a connected experience where you can actually see other players, you can co-operate, you can compete and it can be social. Everything that we do, we see the telemetry coming in telling us that’s the best way to build our business and that’s the best way to build these experiences and be differentiated from others.”

Although he said games now need to be socially connected, Gibeau noted that The Simks, Sim City, Mass Effect and FIFA can all be played in single-player modes and players can opt out of their social side if they so choose.

“I still passionately believe in single-player games and think we should build them. What I was trying to suggest with my comments was that we move our company from being a packaged goods, fire-and-forget business to a digital business that has a service component to it,” he said.

“That should not be misunderstood as the death of single-player games, or single-player experiences or telling stories. Narrative is what separates good games from bad games. Or great from good, even.”

1. IL DUCE

I’m fine with that…he sounds like much less of a douche now

2. Beta

I knew there’d be a statement like this coming, Quickly avoiding a PR disaster there haha :)

3. Gheritt White

Assassin’s Creed is a good example. Apparently it has a (popular?) multiplayer mode… not that I’d ever know and I certainly can’t tell, those games are enormous. Same goes for ME2 and ME3 – never touched the MP, certainly didn’t feel it impacted the SP experience in the slightest.

I welcome MP in SP games like Batman: Arkham X, because I won’t have to touch it and encourages players to not trade in their copies, meaning more money back in the hands of the pubs and devs and less for GameStop, which is ultimately a goos thing™.

4. DSB

To me it sounds like he’s just throwing around buzz words.

If the development of that social, open-world, telemetry-based, cost/benefit positive, focus group affirmed, CO2 neutral, Facebook enabled, monetized multiplayer revenue stream detracts from the development of the game itself, the game is still going to be worse off for it.

Executives are better at building businesses, than they are at designing games.

5. Kuwabara

were still fucking waiting for mirrors edge 2~!

6. absolutezero

The multiplayer was directly attached to the single player in Mass Effect 3. It also directly detracted from it aswell.

Fucking War Effort bullshit.

7. The_Red

Exactly. Everything that came out of his mouth during this interview and previous session was filled with “buzz” words.

Reminds me of that old Simpsons episode were Krusty and exects were throwing out words like “edgy”, “in your face” and such around the animators, forcing them to come up with a “cool” new character.

8. Kabby

Poochie D. Word Up.

9. bitsnark

10. TheBlackHole

‘Games as a service’ has fucking disaster written all over it.

I don’t want every game to be an investment. I WANT a fire and forget experience sometimes.

All this boils down to is that if you create a great game, you can sell bite size extras at a premium because people WILL pay it.

11. SplatteredHouse

Games as a service is dragging the ship down. It actively battles the purpose of a creative product. It’s a horrible idea, designed to constrain, restrict, nickel and dime.

12. Ali

I don’t know why gamers/Publishers got the idea of that every game should have some sort of online features. I don’t think that we should have proceeded to this way of thinking. Th point is, every game has its own features to deliver and a complete package doesn’t necessarily mean we need to have some online modes.

When I played Singularity online, I kinda loved it, it is one of my most played games online, but I never ever thought it was a feature that I would hate the game if they didn’t just put it there actually I thought I would have loved the game much more if the efforts were shifted to perfect what I thought to be one of the best campaigns ever.

Another point is, I really don’t see gamers embracing the online modes of many games out there. Most of them are playing what is established in CoD and a few others, most of the games end up having empty servers in a few months. What is the point of never ever green lighting a single player game while you are green lighting games with only a small number of gamers playing online ?

I think that this approach is doing more harm than good in a way that we will end up having a not so well made single player mode for the sake of creating a not so welcomed multiplayer mode.

13. Edo

I am just surprised he hasn’t choked yet on all that bullshit coming out of his mouth.