Xenosaga fans should bug Namco Bandai, says Sony rep

Tuesday, 4th September 2012 01:56 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony has directed Xenosaga fans clamouring for HD re-releases of the classic PS2 RPGs to turn their attention to publisher Namco Bandai.

Responding to a comment on the PS Blog, community manager Morgan Haro reminded fans that publishers are responsible for deciding whether to bring a game to the PlayStation 3′s HD remaster line.

“Make your voice heard on the Namco Bandai forums to have the best possible chance to see this through,” he said, adding a word of caution:

“They’d need to sign off on it, but there are technical considerations as well (like will it work with the PS3 firmware to emulate this PS2 title).”

A couple of threads have already appeared on Namco Bandai’s forum.

Although it has a patchy history of localisation, the Japanese publisher has shown itself to be responsive to fan demands in the past, as when it agreed to fund a port of Dark Souls.

Thanks, That VideoGame Blog.

1. Clupula

I’d definitely buy a Xenosaga HD Collection. Not so much PS2 classics, though, since I already have them on for PS2.

2. eztliryu226

i’d love to see them in HD was just gonna re order them for my ps2 lol and then i saw this o.O :) lol *starts to pray*

3. KrazyKraut

Classics no, HD yes!

4. silkvg247

Would be cool for the UK since the original Xenosaga never even launched here – oddly though, the sequel did. I’ve got both NTSC versions but can’t play them as I have a PAL ps2 (I stupidly sold my last “special” one). :(

5. Henry

I would rather have Xenogears HD, with the cut chapters added back.

6. Da Man

Playing Xenosaga was about as painful as watching Evangellion while going through a tech demo of an obstacle course.

How did they manage to make it inferior to Xenogears in every way possible despite having more development time, freedom and a dedicated budget is a mystery.

7. manamana

@Da Man: Do you have anything positive to say about *any* videogame? I mean, you do *play* videogames don’t you? Hard to imagine by judging your comments though …

Edit: Oh, as you edited it came to my mind, that you could’ve played Xenogears, sooo …

8. Da Man

I do, but when you hype, advertise and then release a sequel to the best PSx jrpg in the form of what I described, it leads to highly negative experience, which tends to pop up in the form of shitty memories at times like this.

Usually when you say positive things about videogames, people don’t remember them.

9. ManuOtaku

I recently bought number one on the ps2, it cost me a lot of money, but i got it anyway because i did have already number 2 and 3, therefore i wanted to have the complete collection, but i dont think i will get it in HD, because i paid a lot for number one, and if i see the price of the HD compilation, i might hurt myself in the process.

10. CycloneFox

Xenosaga Episode III was the most beautiful game (and one of the most performant games in terms of loading times/streaming) for the PS2. I would definately get this in HD for ps3, day one!
    (Btw. this is where Mass Effect 3 took it’s ending from, but didn’t archieve to do it as well and loving as XSIII did)
    I own all three Episodes, so I’d probably not get an SD port, but I will definately get an HD remaster, if it comes.

(I just hope, all three games fit on a bluray… Episode I was a dual layer DVD, Episode II and III both had two DVDs per game. That makes about 27GB? It should fit on a Bluray)

Edit: I have to say it again and again: After its poor prequel, Xenosaga Episode III was THE best JRPG of the last gen, maybe the best RPG of any gen. (story, characters, story conclusion, soundtrack and atmosphere, graphics, performance, gamedesign)

11. Ireland Michael

Yeah, please god no.

Xenosaga makes Hideo Kojima look like a competent, talented writer and director in comparison.

12. Clupula

@10 – What’s funny is that Xenosaga II was designed purposely for the type of people who are whining about how much they dislike the series. They dumbed the game down to try to appeal to the largest possible audience. The result was that the people who hated I still didn’t buy it and the people, like myself, who loved I, were disappointed. I actually consider II to be one of the worst RPG’s I’ve ever played. The only thing that kept me going was the story. III definitely made up for it, though.

I wish they had just ignored those who hated the series and continued with their original plans.

13. Da Man

They had a luxury of properly making what Xenogears was originally planned as, dividing it into eight or something episodes.

They made Ep1, it was shit and bombed.

Then they made Ep2, it was even more so, and bombed too.

And then they canned the original plan, let go of devs and made Ep 3, but at this point nobody cared already.

14. Clupula

Actually, Episode 1 didn’t bomb. It sold quite well, but there was a small number of people with a very large number of complaints, so they were forced to compromise on Episode 2.

Episode 2 bombed. The people who hated the first one didn’t buy it and the fans of the first one hated it.

Episode 3 was not an attempt to salvage the franchise and bring it back to its original six game plan (with Xenogears being Episode 5). In fact, Episode 2 & 3 were all originally supposed to be Episode 2. The Episode 3 that got released was a quick wrap-up of the franchise, in the hope that they could reclaim the sales the first one had if they moved back to what made the series great in the first place.

15. Digital Bamboo

Oh Xenosaga, I had almost forgotten how crushingly disappointing you were. Kind of like Chrono Cross, but worse. Much worse. The most fun I had playing Episode I was winning money in the poker mini-game. Never bothered with II or III. I do remember it had some pretty cool cutscenes though, (the ones that didn’t involve people talking) might look pretty as an HD showcase disc, if someone edited them all together.