The Secret World – Lairs to receive some tweaks with patch 1.2

Tuesday, 4th September 2012 20:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Lairs in The Secret World are getting a makeover, according to a new developer post from Funcom.

For those who aren’t aware of what Lairs are, they are adventure zones where powerful creatures lurk. Each zone has been designed with three-player groups in mind layers sporting QL10 gear.

With patch 1.2, some significant changes will be made, and Funcom hopes this will attract more players into the Lairs. The intention going forward, according to Funcom, is that Lairs “should offer a full endgame progression for casual players of The Secret World.”

Here’s a list of what’s changing with the next update:

• Lairs are now for groups of 5 players. The new Looking for Groups (LFG) tool in patch 1.2 should make finding those groups of 5 a little easier than before.
  • Each Lair’s distance from nearby Anima Wells has been evaluated. Lairs deemed too far have had a new Anima Well added. This should ease the punishment of wipes, and players can also use this Anima Well to „meet up“ and get started with their Lair more quickly.
  • Each Lair is launching with a new item mission in it, and we will expand to three missions total. Each of these missions will reward you with Ritual Fragments to help you summon the Playfield Bosses in the Lair.
  • Lairs now provide loot progression; everything you need for your next stage of the Lair can be found at your current stage. To be specific:
  • Standard Lair mobs are balanced for a full set of greens and signets. They have a chance of dropping BoP blues, as well as green signets and Playfield Boss ritual fragments.
  • Playfield Bosses (3 in each Lair) are balanced for mostly greens, with a few blue talismans. They are guaranteed to drop a few Bind on Pick-up (BoP) blues, a blue signet, and Regional Boss ritual fragments.
  • Regional Bosses (1 each in New England, Egypt, and Transylvania) are balanced for a full set of blue gear. They are guaranteed to drop a few BoP quality level 10 purples, a purple signet, and few ritual fragments to make these bosses easier to resummon.
  • Regional Bosses also drop strange and powerful ritual fragments- even though the magic of this ritual doesn’t yet function, who knows when their latent power might activate again.

The revamp of the Lairs should make things more attractive to players who aren’t geared well enough for Nightmare dungeons, but not to worry: Elite and Nightmare dungeons will still be available for those who like a challenge.

Lairs will remain open-world areas and players will still be able to “search for missing Ritual Fragments and summon an ever more powerful string of opponents.”

Issue #2: Digging Deeper will release on September 11, after originally being slated for August 28.

1. DSB

I’m not even aware of what The Secret World is. And I’m one of the five guys who bought it.

It’s just that forgettable in a post Guild Wars 2 era.

2. OrbitMonkey

^ Its good then? I’ve never really saw the appeal of these 3rd person mmo’s tho… Not many on the consoles tbh.

The gameplay looks very simplistic… Is it the multiplayer that brings it alive?

3. Hcw87

The quests in this game are fantastic, especially the investigative ones. I would give the trial a whirl after you’ve played GW2 a while. It really makes you think about solving the quests, instead of just killing/looting/fetching like all other MMO’s (yes, GW2 too). Not saying it’s a good game though, nowhere close to GW2 as a whole, but the questing sets it apart. When it goes F2P i’ll definitely start playing it again.

4. DSB

I left The Secret World for dead within a week. The combat and class system is basically Champions Online, and the quests try to be clever, but I don’t think it’s for the better most of the time.

Some of them require you to do google searches, for example, and that’s not my idea of a good time.

It has some beautiful art, but that’s simply not enough.

@2 Guild Wars 2? Yeah, it’s really great.

I think it’s been pretty overhyped, it’s still very much an MMO as you know them, but it takes those familiar building blocks, and then it puts them together just right.

It’s not a messianic second coming, it’s just an MMO that gets it right.

I haven’t played SWTOR though, so I can’t really compare.

5. phyukyui

DSB
    04/09/12, 8:48 pm

It’s just that forgettable in a post Guild Wars 2 era

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

6. DSB

@5 Depending on how seriously you choose to take that. Sure.

Fact is, The Secret World didn’t sell, and the launch itself pretty much destroyed Funcom. Personally I don’t think it’s coincidental, it’s much better than Conan ever was, but it’s still mediocre to the bone.

It’s ironic that it still had a smoother launch than Guild Wars 2 did, though.

7. GwynbleiddiuM

Well, I think I offered enough of my opinion about secret world, nothing to do here for me anymore.

@DSB well I think it’s due to the fact that it wasn’t overwhelmed by massive hordes of hyped to the sky GW2 junkies. So, servers weren’t challenged enough to cause issues.