Gamestop predicts one console launch in 2013, Wii U this holiday

Tuesday, 4th September 2012 11:14 GMT By Dave Cook

Gamestop has predicted that Wii U will launch before the year is out, and that 2013 will bring see one next-gen console launching, but hasn’t disclosed if it will be Xbox 720 or PS4.

Speaking with Polygon, Gamestop CEO Paul Raines said, “The Wii U, we expect it at holiday. This week, I’m getting a lot of rumours that are very interesting about 2013. We have not been expecting two more consoles in 2013.”

“We’re expecting Wii U this holiday, another one next year, and another one in ’14. These rumours change every week, but we’re hearing more about next year.”

What do you think? Does the prediction make sense? Let us know below.

Thanks MCV.

Thanks MCV.

1. Fin

I’ll be very surprised if we don’t see two new consoles next year.

2. Gadzooks!

Sony can’t afford another cash sink. The PS3 almost broke them and the Vita looks to be trying to finish the job off.

There is absolutely no way they can support a subsidised console, and people won’t pay Sony’s extortionate launch prices anymore.

The PS3 launch was buoyed by the huge cash pile the PS1 and 2 had built up. That isn’t there to support their next launch.

I think PS4 will be 2014 at the very earliest, but they may be going the streaming route making new hardware unnecessary.

3. DrDamn

Sony have already said streaming is not an option until the infrastructure is there and for the vast majority that isn’t going to be for a while. It would be suicidal for Sony to launch so long after MS again next time. Can’t see either of them realistically launching in 2014. They have to make 2013. Can’t really see either of them pushing proposed 2013 launches out to 2014 currently either. They would both be pushing for 2013 and a decision to delay would be made much later on.

4. Malmer

Ever since E3 it has been very clear in my mind that PS4 won’t come out in 2013. Atleast not in US/EU. That is why they have games like Beyond and Last of Us lined up. I predict march 2014.

5. Gadzooks!

#3

Unless the Vita picks up pace massively I just can’t see it happening. I think the shareholders would veto another massive debt cycle until they have built up a buffer.

6. DrDamn

How do you build up a buffer without anything new to sell though? They will have to be taking a much cheaper off the shelf approach this time.

@4 makes a good point though, Sony have a lot more planned for a 2013 release on PS3 than MS as far as I can see. There is the newer and cheaper model coming soon too. Maybe the launch will depend on money made on that?

7. Gadzooks!

#6

You build a buffer through selling existing products, at profit.

History has shown us that Sony value image above all else. They won’t produce a reasonably priced machine. They will stuff the PS4 full of useless shit that drives the price up, and when it fails to launch they’ll chop it back out. It’s their way…

8. DrDamn

And if you can’t sell enough products at profit? I bet you a bottle of Red Stag both Sony and MS machines will be very similarly priced next generation. :)

9. Gadzooks!

#8

If you can’t make a profit then get the hell out of the business.

What would change for Sony next gen anyway? Without the USP of some exotic (even if it turned out somewhat crippling) tech Sony are royally fucked, as the only people who buy their stuff are technophiles!

I’ll take your bet. I don’t think MS is going to launch a standalone package next gen. I think the subs model is going to be their angle. Takes the sting out of the loss-leader.

10. DrDamn

True on the subs model. Think they both have a foot in that water already and an extension to hardware would be sensible. I can see the model converging for both too. I.e. Sony putting online services more directly into the games PS+ model and MS adding games to the gold sub. It’s not going to be £40 a year – more like £120. As a more complete gaming solution I’d buy in to that though.

11. Lord Gremlin

You know, it’s really hard to predict who will launch their new console first – Sony or Microsoft. My bet though is that releases will be close, as in one in December, another in March.
    See, last time Microsoft had an issue of money-sink fail – first xbox – and wanted to recover from it soon. But now both companies are sitting comfortably profiting from their home consoles. Although they use different strategies – Microsoft is trying to sell console as cheap as possible, buying timed exclusive DLC and attracting casual masses with kinect and Sony oh the other hand appealing to more hardcore gamers with full exclusives and PS+ piles of games no sane person has time to play. Neither of them will want to abandon this comfortable position.
    If we’d been making bets this time I’d bet on Sony launching first – mainly because of Vita actually.
    You see, rumors are – Vita is an essential peripheral for PS4. Orbis-Vita, was it? They will try to really push this stuff.

12. Gadzooks!

#11

PS4 will not be reliant on Vita. That would be commercial suicide.

Sony are bungling boneheaded fuckwits, but not even they would be that stupid.