Assassin’s Creed goes real-life with parkour specialist Ronnie Shalvis

Tuesday, 4th September 2012 20:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Assassin’s Creed 3 was at PAX this past weekend, and during a panel, it was announced that a video featuring parkour specialist Ronnie Shalvis would be released. The video, which is posted below, is set to a composition called “Assassin” by Stephen Anderson featuring Shalvis leaping about the city dressed as an Assassin. A behind-the-scenes video has also been released. Assassin’s Creed 3 is out next month. Via Polygon.

1. Spider Law

cool stunts bro

2. TheWulf

Now if Assassin’s Creed were more like this, and actually required some skill to play, then it would be a far, far more intriguing prospect to me. Unfortunately, the game has always felt severely mechanical and artificial, almost static by comparison to this. It’s a game that could use some interstitial animations, similar to those that Overgrowth uses, but I’m not even sure if a console could be capable of that without melting down.

In AC, your character snaps from one animation to another, and does all these stunts at the press of a button. Couple this with the sparse, limited environments that the games tend to offer, and… well. It’s just not that great. Even the jumping puzzles of Guild Wars 2 (especially the more evil ones) feel more like this than Assassin’s Creed does.

I honestly think that the thing that’s come closest to capturing this feel is Mirror’s Edge. And we need a Mirror’s Edge 2, damn it. We need one with interstitial, organic animations. One where you can flounder and really goof things up a la Overgrowth. I think that if someone were to take Overgrowth and Mirror’s Edge, and smoosh them together? You’d have the perfect parkour game.

See, there’s a point where static animations don’t cut it, and you need to throw something else in there, ragdoll physics and ‘animation pieces’ which are designed to be played in between can help. This is what I tend to describe as interstitial animations. Though you won’t really understand this until you’ve experienced the beautiful, brilliant, damn near flawless parkour of Overgrowth.

It’s just… those two games. Overgrowth and Mirror’s Edge.

Some of you might be unfamiliar with Overgrowth, so let me help you. I know, rabbit, shush. Shush about the rabbit. Watch it. Look at those animations. LOOK AT THEM. I mean it. Just watch the entire thing and pay close attention to those animations.

Sorry, Assassin’s Creed, but you don’t even get remotely close. Not even slightly. Both Mirror’s Edge and Overgrowth are ecehelons above and beyond you.

Still, I appreciate the parkour video. Thank you for that.

3. YoungZer0

There we go, TheWulf talking about Guild Wars again, in a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with the game.

Day’s complete now.

4. DSB

I think you mean “Dailies Complete” now.

Durhurhur.

5. Omelette

@TheWulf You’re like a politician. Your party is “The Great Democrate Party of Mirror Edge & Overgrowth” and obviously AC is in “The Great Republican Party of Assassins”. My party has this, and that, and your party does this & that, which are shitty. My party has so many advantages, your doesn’t have any, blah blah blah blah

6. Da Man

Good post, teh Wulf. Excellent point about platforming being dumbed down in modern videogames like AC. Indeed all you have to do to get from point A to point B is just pressing a button.

7. manamana

@theWulf I get your point but the overgrowth vid is horrible. I now what you mean with the transitions but man, this near zero gravity jumping and unrealistic looking bounce animation wasn’t exaclty what I expected after your holy praising …

As far as Mirrors Edge 2 goes – I guess we are all on the same boat. And I smell a nice next-gen title with uber-animations. And realistic looking transistions. And hopefully not with the press of a single button.

8. viralshag

Talks about intellectual dishonestly and misleading people.

Compares GW2 jumping puzzles to parkour…

Lol.

9. Gheritt White

I hate to be a snob, but that’s Freerunning, not Parkour. Either way, it is FUCKING AMAZEBALLS.

10. ejams

@7 – Watch some of the newer vids for Overgrowth, that one he posted is fairly old now seeing as how it is being updated constantly. In the newer ones, you can fully see how beautiful the animations are when doing everything; the transition between each is seamless. The zero gravity jumping etc is all part of the fun in the game.

11. Sadismek

@9 The first one is definitely Parkour. Free-running means getting from one place to antoher as fast as possible, without trying to look fancy.

12. Gheritt White

@ 11: Actually, U R RONG. You have the two mixed up. This makes you a ninny.

From wikipedia: “Freerunning is a variant of parkour. Both practices involve getting from one place to another, however, freerunning is more focused on self-expression and creativity, as opposed to the speed and efficiency stressed in parkour. Freerunning is a relaxed version of parkour in the sense that one may take their time to think through and plan out their course to express one’s creativity in an organized manner.

The founder and creator of free running, Sébastien Foucan, defines it as a discipline to self-development, to “follow your own way”, which he developed because he felt that parkour lacked creativity and self-expression as a definition for each free runner to follow your own way.”