Resident Evil 6: ‘early sale copies were stolen’, confirms Capcom

Monday, 3rd September 2012 12:37 GMT By Dave Cook

Resident Evil 6 reportedly went on sale a month ahead of its official October 2nd release date at a retail store in Poland last week. However, Capcom has now confirmed that the copies were, in fact, stolen.

Someone is now trying to sell the game on eBay for a ludicrous amount of money.

In a statement issued to Eurogamer, Capcom clarified the incident, “Capcom is currently undertaking a thorough investigation into reports that Resident Evil 6 is being sold ahead of its official October 2 release date. At this time, all we can add is that it would appear this unfortunate incident is limited to a small quantity of stolen copies of the German USK PlayStation 3 version of the game.”

Someone in possession of a copy is now trying to sell the game on eBay for a whopping €1196.71. The current bid is now €478.78.

Cheers Eurogamer.

1. matirishhh

Saying that a thief is trying to sell this item is not very professional.
    How do You know that this is the person who stole the games? This might be anyone who bought it?
    I thought VG247 was more professional with choosing the right words…

2. Dave Cook

You’re right, we’ve changed it.

3. KAP

Good man, your totally right.

4. mongbatstar

No, change it back! I can’t relate to the out of control Metal Gear drama. I could easily get on board with this drama though.

5. matirishhh

Great guys!

6. Dave Cook

@5 not a problem, we do strive for quality and it was a simply result of it being utterly insane here today news-wise and poor word choice. Thanks for flagging.

7. Fin

I think linking to the eBay auction is bad form, if Capcom consider it stolen…

8. Klaxusprime

The game has gone gold 10 days ago.. how can it be already packed and ready to sell in Poland?

9. Dave Cook

@8 No idea mate, we were reporting on the reports of others. They were allegedly stolen from somewhere in Germany according to Capcom’s statement.

@7 We’re not the first ones to link to it. Plus, I doubt anyone here will bid on it.

10. Klaxusprime

@9 Dave, I’m not questioning your pieces, you’re the best site for me.. if I were you I’d ask Capcom ;)

11. Dave Cook

@10 I wasn’t having a go at you man :) Just have to make that clear. maybe you’re right though, it’s sort of like helping a guy mug someone isn’t it? :P

12. brotherhoodofthewolf

What a debacle.
    - Manufacturing copies of the game so early. Cashflow, hello?!
    - Shipping stock to distribution so early. Wat?!
    - Not using the extra time to polish the game. Never mind though, the day one DLC will give a more complete game amirite?