Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is a “prologue”, coming to PS3, Xbox 360

Monday, 3rd September 2012 00:49 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes had its US debut over the weekend, with franchise creator Hideo Kojima on hand to spill a few more juicy details.

Plenty of interesting snippets came out of Kojima’s PAX Prime 2012 presentation, which celebrated the Metal Gear franchise’s 25th anniversary as well as the recent announce of Ground Zeroes.

Kojima said Ground Zeroes is a “prologue” title, but didn’t reveal to what. The game’s position in the Metal Gear timeline is later than any of the other prequel titles, so it may be a prologue to Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, and the Solid series which followed.

Apparently, Kojipro “isn’t going to say” that the game is Metal Gear Solid 5, whatever that means. According to Siliconera, Kojima chose the title Ground Zeroes to evoke the feeling of the first Metal Gear Solid, which released in 1998, but now backed with the power of the new FOX Engine.

Ground Zeroes is targeting current generation hardware, and the PS Blog reports the PC used to present the demo is comparable to a PlayStation 3 in terms of power. All footage shown is real-time, in engine, and not pre-rendered cutscenes, with Kojima noting that the way the game looks now is about how it should appear on current-gen consoles. That said, Kojima confirmed Kojipro is working with next-generation hardware.

The series creator said he’s intimately involved with the game’s development rather than just producing.

“One thing I want to make clear is that Ground Zeroes is something I’m making myself,” he said.

“I want to make it clear that Snake is back, but I’m also back. I’m putting all my effort into that.”

Interestingly, CVG cites anonymous sources for word that Ground Zeroes, is not “Project Ogre”, the codename for a FOX Engine powered Kojipro title, suggesting the developer may have another title in the works, too, with another project lead.

We’ll add these details to our Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes all access hub later; be sure to bookmark it and check back for everything we learn.

1. nani17

Cool ps3 & 360 lets hope the content isn’t reduced because of the 9gb limited that a xbox dvd has. Multiple discs please lol

2. ps3fanboy

i pray for no texture popping and good frame rate…

3. voxelman

No PC version?

And I don’t get why they would show it on a PC that is only as powerful as a PS3. Why not just show it on a PS3, especially if they are not even developing it on PC. Also how old is a machine that is only as powerful as a PS3, you could build a PC more powerful than a PS3 in late 2006.

I think something must have been lost in translation.

4. Moonwalker1982

I don’t see this game coming out in 2013 though, i just don’t. And late 2013 will probably see the release of new consoles. Or most definitely 2014, so we’ll probably have this game when we can go out and buy the next Xbox and PS4. Just make it for next gen already and you probably won’t have to sacrifice anything.

5. SlayerGT

I think this is a game with a few, maybe even one, of these “open world” missions, being made to prequel for a next Gen game. Just my guess. Its not clear to me when they say “prelude” do they mean to a game..or the the series. As in “prequel.

I do like the new format thou. Very tenchu or hitman. Here’s the huge area, deal with it how you like approach.

6. Kuwabara

He means it’s a prologue to the mgs series!! there is no mgs5. yet..

@5, i wouldn’t mind it being open world, as long as it’s in the same environment, place. When i was watching the demo, the guy said you can use the helicoptor to travel between countries. I’m like fuck, not again. The proglem with mgs4 is you had 5 different environments, but you didn’t stay in them long enough, so you didn’t have complete immersion. I want ground zeroes to be like mgs1,2,3 where you stay in one location for the majority of the time, and it all can be reached by foot. That way you feel like you’ve been on a journey .

7. KAP

Because games are primarily built on PC dude then ported. #commonknowledge

8. Maximum Payne

@7 But they are tested on consoles.