Mass Effect 3 Wii U won’t support 1080p, dev confirms

Monday, 3rd September 2012 12:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Mass Effect 3 is heading to Wii U at launch, but fans of 1080p display may be disheartened to learn the game won’t support it. Straight Right is handling porting duties for BioWare, and the studio’s CEO has confirmed the game’s true resolution settings.

The game will support 720p and lower, but not the coveted 1080p setting. ONM was told by Straight Right CEO Tom Crago quite simply, “The game will run at 720p.”

The confirmation quashes a report in the September issue of Nintendo Power that suggested Mass Effect 3 Wii U would run in 1080p.

Thanks ONM.

1. KAP

What’s mothers wanting to loss weight, grannies and little children gonna want with 1080p anyway?

2. Christopher Jack

It’s a new console in 2012 for goodness sake. Why bother supporting core games if it’ll only be able physically do so for only a couple years as most? It’s the damn Wii all over again. They’re going to start looking at gimmicks to compensate for the lack of power once the PS4 & X720 start rolling & that rarely leads to a better game. The games we see today are already preaching this unreleased console’s limits.

3. ManuOtaku

I think is due the fact this would mean money, and they do prefer to traslate a raw version than an improved one, typical in the third party side of things with multiplatform, and also they know they will be competing against nintendo tittles, therefore they go effortless with this one.

4. Fin

No, this is nothing to do with money. Resolution is only about console power, it doesn’t cost anything (over than making sure text is legible on SDTVs).
    Not having 1080p means the Wii U can’t support a good experience at that resolution, simple as.

5. Christopher Jack

@4, Not quite that simple. Of course optimizing the code for a game can increase performance allowing greater resolutions so it’s purely a time+budget-performance scenario.

6. ManuOtaku

#4 i dont think so, i think it is a cost issue, the official technical specs released so far are indicating the Wii U supports 1080p, therefore is another issue entirely, therefore it has to be some cost constrains, or tiem constrain or something on that matter.

7. Gadzooks!

It’s a LAUNCH TITLE.

How many PS3/360 launch titles could be compared to today’s standards? None, nothing was even close.

So the WiiU will launch with a bunch of games comparable to the best of the current crop of games. When devs get familiar with the architecture, combined with having 1 gb standard memory, I think we’ll see a lot more from WiiU than some are expecting over the next few years.

8. Christopher Jack

@7, Yet both the PS3 & X360 introduced a huge leap over Xbox & PS2 while the Wii, many games looked only slightly better, some almost identical & others even worst than the PS2 equivalent. Same thing happening all over again.

9. DrDamn

360 and PS3 support 1080p too – but very few games support it natively. Support means little without further info. The launch Nintendo titles are 720p too incidentally – is this down to a lack of effort too? However GZ makes a good point, it’s a launch title. Lets see where they are a year down the line.

10. ManuOtaku

#9 I meant if the game on the 360 and ps3 was not 1080p, why the WiiU version will be?, that will mean more costs, time and people to do it, and it is not a critic, is stating is the most logical thing.

11. DrDamn

Nah change in rendering resolution is reasonably easy to do. Most engines should be very flexible in that respect.

12. stretch215

This is not an indication of the future at all. I think post 10 is pretty accurate. However, I still think that once the other guys release Nintendo is in trouble as far as 3rd party. Edit: I just realized my post is inaccurate. This matters to us most definitely, but to the average consumer this means nada.

13. Fin

Yeah – it does come down to optimization eventually, but a

#define RES_H 1920
    #define RES_W 1080

is about all that’s needed to make game run in 1080p.

14. ManuOtaku

#11 yes but that will depend on what the developer wants, a raw traslation or an improved one, i think they wanted to go with a raw traslation here, and for that something that didnt required efforts from their part, either if they are few or a lot, depending on the difficultie of the engine.

15. OlderGamer

If the game on PS360 was not in 1080P, then it won’t be on WiiU either. All the game will be is a quick and (prolly) sloppy port. Manu is spot on I think.

16. DrDamn

And all the Nintendo releases being 720p? I’m not saying 1080p isn’t feasible, just that it may require a bit of time. Accusing EA of being sloppy when brand new titles from the manufacturer don’t support 1080p isn’t fair.

17. OlderGamer

I don’t think so Doc. I would expect anygame that ends up being a port to be pretty much a straight forward port. Perhaps sloppy is the wrong word, quick and easy might be a better choice.

18. DrDamn

Didn’t the PC support 1080p then? You are still ignoring the Nintendo games – they aren’t ports. They going the quick and easy route too?

19. OlderGamer

I have also thought that, going forward 720p is still a very viable rez. The last time I looked at TV sales nationaly(NA/US) the top selling units were 720P. It is just a price thing. That is why I laughed at 4K rez stories.

I would expect that next gen MS/Sony systems to be 60fps/1080p. I hope. But the WiiU won’t be too much different then current gen system. Prolly going to be a fair amount of 30fps/720p stuff.

I know some folks will use that as a means to critize the system. But it doesn’t bother me one bit. When I look at a Wii, Nintendo made games, I see fantastic art work. Bright and colorful. I run my my Wii in 480P right now. Playing those games in 720P is something I am looking forward to.

20. OlderGamer

I am not ignoring anything, geez, lets not make this into another one of those threads. I am so freaken sick of that shit. I have no idea what the entire line up and coming games for WiiU are. I was only speaking to this game.

And even if they are all going to be 720P, for the entire gen…so what?

21. Da Man

This internet is complete. We ‘ve had the infamous one from the Sony camp, itsucks from the MS one and finally old man representing the big N.

22. ManuOtaku

#18 i dont know myself but if i dont recall wrong the ps3/360 didnt received the PC 1080p support neither, therefore it shouldnt be different with the WiiU, EA is the only one that knows the reason for this, and i dont ignoring the nintendo first party titles, is just that is not the topic here, we are talking about a third party game that didnt support 1080p, the nintendo titles that comes a 720p maybe is because of the heavy use of the gamepad, which i dont think is the case with mass effect, which will be for map only functions, i guess.

23. ManuOtaku

#21 so…. we reach a balance then, thats a great thing IMHO :).

24. Da Man

Yep.

25. Malmer

Considering the game can run in basically any resolution on the PC I guess it would be very easy to switch the Wii U version to 1080p. So it comes down to hardware performance and engine optimization.

26. DrDamn

My point was simply that if brand new games designed for the system from the manufacturer are 720p then why would you expect anything else to be. It’s far more to do with that than any other reason. In time you’ll get at least some 1080p games – Toki Tori is for example. It seems there is the memory there to support it – which is more of the limiting factor with the 360/PS3. So as libraries support better management of that the games should too.

That said 720p is what I would actually expect for the most part on WiiU. I don’t have a problem with that. It was more the deriding of a dev for not doing something which the platform holder isn’t doing either.

I expect PS4/NextBox to be 30fps/1080p to be honest. Where there is greater emphasis on stills looking good a lot of devs will still go for the impact they can gain with 30fps.

27. Krisgebis

It sounds like the Wii-U won’t have any hardware scaler then. I think it is a poor choice on Nintendos part. It will require more work for the developers to make the scaling happen in software.

28. OlderGamer

I think it is unreasonable to expect any console port to better then the orig version. Why would you bother putting more time into something then you need to? Hence quick and easy.

I don’t think it has anything to do with what other games on the system are doing. Unless the system can’t do it. If the system can handle it, and pubs decide not to use it, Nintendo or otherwise, then that must be a choice.

In the case of a 3rd party porting, my guess would be time and effort.

No idea why Nintendo would chose not to. I didn’t even know if they were or if they weren’t. The rez of my games isn’t really a big deal to me. I think anything 720P or over looks very nice.

29. ManuOtaku

#28 OG i think is for the heavy use of the gamepad, like in pikmin 3 for example, maybe thats one of the reasons, but for games that doenst requiere heavy use, maybe 1080p will be more resonable, like 2d mario games for example, but i could be wrong, though.

30. OlderGamer

Actualy manu, that makes sense.

31. DrDamn

I’d guess it does have a hardware scaler – a big use of which would be scaling main screen output to controller screen output. It would be loopy for it not to. Nothing about this suggests no hardware scaler. Besides which just scaling output to 1080p is a bit unnecessary – the TV will do that itself.

Gamepad use will affect memory use so does need to be taken into account. Particularly if a game wants to support 2 screened pads.

32. Krisgebis

@31: The game does not support 1080P, thus it does not output 1080P, thus there is no scaler (on that output). They are not talking about rendering, but output.

TVs do a bad job of scaling, they usually contain some of the worst hardware. Scaling in the console is alot better quality.

33. Dragon246

Most WiiU games will adhere to 720p 30FPS as it is unable to render most games at 1080p like ps3 and xbox360. It may even be poorer in graphics department as its cpu is clocked lower than 360 (rumors). But it may gain more fluidity because of extra ram.

34. The_Red

Lower clock speed for CPU is pretty much confirmed BUT it doesn’t mean the system will be really weaker. It has a much more modern architecture compared to PS3 and 360 (Both based on main designs from 2001-2004).

35. Dragon246

@34,
    I said it would have disadvantages in some fields and advantages in others. So modern architecture means nothing really aside from some power efficiency. Modern architecture doesnt make weaker cpu better.

36. Timotheous

Lower clockspeed doesn’t necessarily make a cpu weaker. Look at whats happening with PC CPUs and you’ll see that. You’ll see Intel chips with lower clockspeeds and even fewer cores running circles around AMD chips and older Intel chips, especially in game performance. Maybe thats not going to be the case with the WiiU CPU but its something to consider.

37. sasapm

Thanks for posting this. Today I watched documentary film that explains Mass Effect 3 named . I suggest you to watch this documentary film if you did n’t watch yet.

38. fearmonkey

Well that is really disappointing, and something to watch out for on the other titles. My main TV is a 34inch widescreen CRT HDTV and it’s native resolutions are 1080i and 480p, it’s 720p mode is blurry and unwatchable.
    If the Wii cannot output 1080p then it’s mostly useless for me in the living room and I’m stuck with 480p or having to buy a receiver that’s capable of upscaling.

They evidently didn’t include a very capable scaler (or one at all) as the 360 does this with no issues. Im sure the Wii can do 1080 with a really simple game but are all these graphic heavy games going to be 720p?

39. Erthazus

LOL. Launch title so what?
    Ehm… Costs issues? It’s just a screen resolution. If they can’t do it in 1080p than they have issues making a game running in 30 frames per second on Wii U with 1080p.

Wii U is just the same shit as PS3 or 360. They can’t do 1080p in most of the current gen games and that is probably 95% or 98% of AAA titles.