US Treasury: Games not “the focus of our sanctions”

By Brenna Hillier, Friday, 31 August 2012 06:28 GMT

World of Warcraft, Diablo and StarCraft are not the kinds of goods the US is hoping to keep out of Iran, a Treasury spokesperson has said in the wake of Battle.net’s sudden unavailability.

Speaking to the LA Times, US Treasury spokesman John Sullivan said there’s no reason why Blizzard couldn’t request an exemption.

“Clearly the focus of our sanctions is not on video games. We would consider a license request from Blizzard Entertainment should they choose to apply for one,” he said.

Battle.net and associated games became unavailable in Iran last week. Blizzard’s official stance on the withdrawal is that sanctions block it from offering its services – or refunds.

Prior to Blizzard’s statement, some Iranian gamers pointed the finger at local authorities, suspicious of a new task force dedicated to banning games with content deemed undesirable.

Thanks, GwynbleiddiuM – and gratz on being quoted in the article.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.

Comments

Headlines

Battle.net

Diablo 3

Starcraft 2