Skyrim: Bethesda ‘not positive’ DLC coming to PS3

Friday, 31st August 2012 01:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Skyrim’s Dawnguard DLC might not make it to the PlayStation 3 after all.

In a statement posted to on the Bethesda forum, the developer admitted that Dawnguard – and potentially, future DLC packs – might not ever make it to the PS3, although it will continue to try.

“Skyrim is a massive and dynamic game that requires a lot of resources, and things get much more complex when you’re talking about sizable content like Dawnguard. We have tried a number of things, but none of them solve the issue enough to make Dawnguard good for everyone.

The PS3 is a powerful system, and we’re working hard to deliver the content you guys want. Dawnguard is obviously not the only DLC we’ve been working on either, so the issues of adding content get even more complicated. This is not a problem we’re positive we can solve, but we are working together with Sony to try to bring you this content.

“We wish we had a more definitive answer right now. We understand the frustration when the same content is not available on all platforms. When we have an update, we will certainly let you know. We deeply appreciate all the time and support you have given us, and we’ll keep doing our best to return that.”

Dawnguard, the first DLC pack for the RPG, launched on Xbox 360 in late June and hit PC in early August.

Note that Bethesda hasn’t given up yet; and marketing boss Pete Hines assured fans that resources haven’t been taken off the PS3 issue in order to develop the next set of DLC, Hearthfire.

Skyrim’s PS3 launch was particularly troubled, with multiple issues slowly whittled down by patches.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Dark

You’d think they never put out a game for the PS3 before. At this stage in the system’s life-cycle it’s pretty pathetic.

2. Razor

I’d love to know what Bethesda have done with Skyrim to end up in a situation where the PS3 is providing so many problems.

3. Phoenixblight

Completely new Engine. Obviously designed it so it doesn’t work with all current platforms.

4. ejams

@1 – Exactly. I’m feeling pretty bummed out on this one. There’s numerous other good games to keep me busy for the next couple months though so I have patience; let’s just hope they do it right (if at all).

I wonder if this would affect their thoughts on releasing Fallout 4 for PS3 if they stuck the release for a final-wave game for this gen. I don’t think (or hope) that’s the case but who knows.

5. JimFear-666

Bethesda isnt able to do quality game. Most of the bethesda games are a buggy mess… I really hope sooner or later they stop scamming people with buggy mess. I also really hope that they close. We dont need them.

6. Phoenixblight

Will be a long while until Bathesda will shutter especially since they sell their games sell in large margin and people know they are rife with bugs.

7. TMRNetShark

@5 Not likely… Bethesda games may be buggy… but so damn good.

@3 Nope… just a modified Gamebryo engine that was used with Oblivion and it was called the “Creation” engine. You can call it new… but it’s as new as the updates that the Source engine keeps on getting.

8. Phoenixblight

All engines are derivative of previous engines even Unreal 4 uses things like Unreal 3 but how it works overall is what makes it different. Especially since the Creation engine all does things without middleware where the engine used on Fallout 3 and OBlivion was rife with middleware like Speedtree.

9. TD_Monstrous69

I get that bugs are a hallmark with Bethesda’s games, and I wasn’t expecting anything really special with the PS3 version of Skyrim (seeing as how Microsoft inked an exclusivity window with dlc for Skyrim). But never did I think there’d be such a gross mismanagement of this game for a specific platform. It’s like seriously, how many years has this system been out, and you can’t fix issues like this? In the words of Floyd Maywether, Bathesda, step ya game up.

10. voxelman

At least the people saying they shouldn’t have released the PS3 version in the state it was in will be happy…

11. ejams

I’m still glad the game got released at all. Played over 250 hours, had my share of issues but nothing to bad until recent when it consistently freezes even to this day after all the patches. But I am content with that. I feel as if though I got my money’s worth most definitely out of it, and will go back to play it. Just a damn shame is all :/

12. DGOJG

In translation:
    “So basically guys we are pretty damn lazy and unlike every other third party gaming developer, we can’t seem to apply our terribly buggy engine to anything other than the 360 for some reason. What’s that? No it is simply not true that I have tone of Microsoft money falling out of my bulging wallet as we speak.” -Bethesda 2012

13. Deacon

Let me know if there’s a petition going. [EDIT- of course there is!] I wouldn’t mind my £40 back. The game’s too easy, lacking soul, and is generally rather bland. Sure, it has a great OST and a huge world, but meh – so do other games.

I’d be pissed off at this news if I was really into it though (even though the DLC sounds pretty uninspired).

Bioware were dishing out refunds for ME3 weren’t they? Think Bethesda will try to make it up to their Sony userbase if no DLC materializes?

14. Beta

Basically every other dev manages to make their games work on PS3, I’m sorry but what sort of developer’s are they? Releasing broken software, profiting from it and then proposing to abandon future support on the title.

15. ps3fanboy

Bethesda is crap and never release a proper game. so i vote with my wallet and never buy anything of them anymore. when next gen arrive i am still not gonna buy anything of Bethesda.

16. SplatteredHouse

Bethesda doesn’t half release some junk. What a crutch they’ve made of the patching system. Beth Soft’s games are dry and formulaic. Make your own fun exemplified. I won’t go as far as @5, but gee does this annoy me…Because it’s not a new issue from them!

They take flak, dust themselves down, but never learn. Never show improvement to where stupid situations like this, which any PS3 Skyrim player should take strong issue with, and tackle head-on, don’t happen. Total Bull!
    That Bethesda’s linked by money-hat to Microsoft, brings any statement they make about PS3 into another realm of incredulity, potentially. You kind of ask who’s talking as Bethesda’s mouth moves!

17. OrbitMonkey

Meh, I don’t think I’m missing much tbh.

18. cubone285

Is it too late to get my money back xD

19. SplatteredHouse

Is it simply a question of this content not being released, or could response to this inform their future approach to supporting that platform. That would be my point of concern, not even owning that machine, that a “meh” gets taken to mean a disinterest from the PS3 players, to the point that Beth Soft decides not to put resources to that extra platform, and save themselves by sticking to Microsoft development solely. I don’t want to see a platform restricted from the option to play these games, for the interest they hold.

For instance, in the case of iterative tech, if there are problems this time for them with PS3, who’s to say things will be different the next time?

20. Stoopid_Snot

oh snap.. and here I was thinking to myself… It doesn’t matter if the DLC’s are delayed or not, I will wait for the GOTY version anyway… and now this :(

21. TMRNetShark

I’m kinda pissed that Bethesda has up and abandoned a game like this instead of saying “We will make this right… just stick with us please..” but nope… we get “Yeah, DLC might not happen guys.”

So I blame whoever is to be blamed for this mess… and that’s Sony for making a console use OpenGL or something… Microsoft for trying to be the exclusivity king… and Bethesda for being bought out so easily.