Guild Wars 2 digital sales suspended to manage server loads

Friday, 31st August 2012 02:33 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Guild Wars 2 has been temporarily removed from digital sale because too many people want to play the game.

In a situation that can only be described as a good problem, ArenaNet has disabled first-party digital sales of Guild Wars 2 to temporarily halt the flow of new players to the game.

“Ensuring the best possible play experience for our fans is our highest priority. We’ve said before that we would be willing to temporarily disable first-party digital sales if we felt our high player concurrency may compromise player experiences. We have now reached that point,” the developer said on the Guild Wars 2 Facebook Page.

“Effective immediately we have disabled sales via buy.guildwars2.com. To be clear, box and digital sales are still available via our retail partners. We are tracking our concurrency closely while expanding our infrastructure. We’ll re-enable first-party digital sales as soon as we feel that we can do so safely.”

Guild Wars 2 sold over 1 million copies even before it launched.

Thanks, games.on.net.

1. xXNapsterManXx

Good thing I bought it online the other day and my mate is getting it today in shops good game love that there is no sub fee

2. Tiffania

Makes sense. Even now there are areas that are overcrowded

3. viralshag

It has been a bit laggy lately but it normally doesn’t last long.

4. roadkill

Now this must be a first. :)

5. TheWulf

Yup. Instead of just letting their users ‘deal with it’ a la Blizzard, ArenaNet actually has suspended sales to allow their current customers to enjoy their game. Imagine that. Imagine how different the response to Diablo III would have been if Blizzard had done that for their customers.

I keep saying that one of the biggest and most notable difference between ArenaNet and Blizzard is that Blizzard treats their customers like walking wallets, but ArenaNet treats us like human beings.

This is just more evidence that that’s true.

6. viralshag

@5, I don’t see the point in comparing the two. Blizzard can’t be doing that much wrong to keep people subbed/buying their games.

I have bought GW, GW2, WoW and D3. Both companies took my money and left me to play the game. To the average customer, I don’t really see a difference between the two.

7. DSB

I think what you’re failing to understand here, viralshag, is that ArenaNet are utterly infallible, and what appears to you as a failure caused by either bad planning or bad infrastructure, really comes down to their limitless benevolence and good will towards the customers.

I think you just don’t get it, because you’re stupid, and ArenaNet, are so wise and merciful that your brain can’t really comprehend it. You’re essentially blinded by the luminance of their cosmic splendor.

8. OrbitMonkey

^ Admit it, your actively flirting with TheWulf now :-P

9. OlderGamer

lol well played :)

10. DSB

@8 Flirting is all well and good, but I don’t fuck crazy :P

The only VG247 commenter I’ve had gay correspondence with is Ireland Michael.

11. viralshag

@ DSB, Thank you pointing that out to me. I honestly thought they were just another company that wanted my money. I see now that my stupidity of not caring that much about MMO developers blinded me to their benevolence.

12. GrimRita

Bullshit. All Arena want is your dollar! They have had lots of mine already. If they did care, they would drop the cost of buying up extra storage space because its now been SEVEN LONG FUCKING DAYS and The Muppet Show Arena.net cant get the Auction House working.

To rub salt in the wound, they shut down in game mail – so you couldn’t even trade! But, because they ‘dont care about your money’, you are STILL able to BUY gems.

I just wish they would say what has caused the problem instead of just saying nothing because its now really pissing me off.

I want to buy, I want to sell and I am not buying any more gems until they fix this fucking mess. There – its off my chest now – back to WvW

13. roadkill

@6 “To the average customer, I don’t really see a difference between the two.” Exactly! It’s because you’re an average customer.

@7 Wow DSB! How can you keep being such a huge douchebag is beyond me. I know that Wulf is pretty smart and it’s impossible for you to understand him but come on, give it a rest!

14. fearmonkey

@DSB and Orbitmonkey – your cracking me up lol :)

15. DSB

@13 It’s really impossible not to understand what he’s saying, given that he’s been a constant rerun for something like six months now.

One MMO developer is really good, the other one is really bad. I’m pretty sure everyone understood that long before the 50th 3000 word mega-post :P

I can own being a douchebag, but everybody loses as soon as someone starts taking fanboys seriously, and personally I think it’s a lot better to just have a little fun with them.

I consider it making lemonade.

16. viralshag

@13, and your point is? I bought both games and enjoyed them. Why get your knickers in a twist about how the company acts if you enjoy the game. Even more to the point, why get mad if you don’t play their games at all? That just seems like a completely wasted effort.

17. roadkill

@15 What is the problem with his 3000 word mega-posts!? Do you have the attention-span of a woman? Is that why you don’t like him or his posts? He is right about what he says. Also, he is not a fan-boy. Just because you like a brand/company versus another doesn’t make you a fan-boy. Especially when his is ArenaNet.

@16 Nevermind.