Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet perma-bans 3,000 players over exploit

Friday, 31st August 2012 11:37 GMT By Dave Cook

Guild Wars 2 developer ArenaNet has brought down the banhammer on 3,000 players overnight for taking part in a widespread vendor exploit. The developer has spoken out about the bans, stating that sentences may be reduced under certain circumstances.

The exploit saw 3,000 players buying wrongly priced vendor items at an unrealistically low cost and then selling them on, effectively throwing Tyria’s economy off-axis. ArenaNet has now perma-banned all offenders.

Posting on Reddit, ArenaNet’s lead producer Chris Whiteside explained that the offenders knew what hey were doing and should be punished justly.

“We take our community and the integrity of the game very seriously, and want to be clear that intentionally exploiting the game is unacceptable. The players we banned were certainly intentionally and repeatedly exploiting a bug in the game.

“We intended to send a very clear message that exploiting the game in this way will not be tolerated, and we believe this message now has been well understood.”

To get the ban reduced to a 72 hour block, offending players must agree to delete all items gained through the exploit. Whiteside explained how to begin the process here.

Thanks Eurogamer“>Eurogamer.

1. hives

Exploiters who got perma-banned can appeal for change to 72 hour ban. http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z44ml/karma_weapons_exploit/

They just have to declare to get rid of everything they get from exploit.

People are stupid. In every MMO (even in not MMO games, like Diablo!) people always are getting in trouble by using bugs to get money/stuff. Especially when it’s such a big, hyped game like GW2.

Report bugs, don’t exploit them.

2. Tiffania

Excelent

3. CPC_RedDawn

Banning people because of your own mistakes in coding the game… That is a little harsh to pertinently ban them. I think they should of banned them for 72 hours (3 days). I mean they have paid for the game, they own that game, and because the dev’s made a error or players found a workaround that allows them to do something the dev’s did not intend for them to do… That is the dev’s fault. How many times have you played a game, single or multiplayer and how many times have you tried to “break” that game… Seriously I do it all the time. Its funny finding new and weird places you can get in a game, trying to find different hiding places of new maps, or ways to glitch. Its funny, and in no way at all is it the players fault.

DEVELOPERS BUILT THE PLAYGROUND… ITS NOT OUR FAULT IF ITS FAULTY!!!

(bugs and glitches are sure to be in an MMO of this size though).

4. hives

@3 – Sorry, but when you’re accepting the license before playing various games (and not reading it, just scrolling down :P), you agree to NOT exploit bugs and to report about them instead.

So… BTW, it’s unfair. Because more honest players, or even those who wasn’t playing when this exploit was active will have much, much less gold than exploiters.

5. xxJPRACERxx

@3 Yes, if I forget to lock my car you can steal it, it’s my fault!

6. DSB

Haha, damn. Perma-ban for an exploit that you’re ultimately responsible for leaving in the game?

TheWulf is going to have to bend a few standards of morality to explain that one.

7. roadkill

Ownd bitches!! LOL!

@3 F**k off loser!

8. TheWulf

My oh my. Do I make you that neurotic? Do you have trouble sleeping at night because of me, DSB?

Can’t sleep, TheWulf will eat me.

I mean, good grief. I don’t name-call you like this. But I guess that’s the difference in our respective levels of maturity, isn’t it? Like I’ve frequently said, you don’t need me to help you look foolish, you do a great job of this all by yourself.

As for this, I don’t know where I stand. It’s a prickly issue.

On the one hand, it was ArenaNet’s fault for having the bug there, so the responsibility is at least partially theirs. On the other, these people were purposefully throwing off the economy of an online game for their own benefit. It’s hard to side with anyone. I don’t think there’s any ‘right’ in this, or any correct choices. My sense of ethics is more complicated than a black & white sense of good and bad morality.

That they’re allowing people to appeal against the ban and turn the perma-ban into a 72-hour one is definitely a step in the right direction. That’s not an offer that most developers would have made. If Blizzard perma-bans you, that’s it, your number is up. But here we’re seeing mercy being offered.

Ultimately, it is ArenaNet’s game, so they can do as they want.

I would have been more riled up by this if they didn’t have the appeal system in place, but with that there, I’m feeling much more comfortable with what they’re doing. By putting down a temporary ban they’re saying that it’s not okay to exploit, and in a game where exploiting can harm other players directly, a temp ban is fine.

Of course, you may not have known about the appeal for a temp ban mentioned in the first comment because you’re not so good at that reading comprehension thing, are ya?

Ultimately, it’s not perfect. Nothing is. But at least they have the appeal system in place.

9. DSB

Really, I was just looking forward to what I knew was coming.

72 days for using an exploit they left in the game. Truly, they should be sending them giftbaskets for their benevolence.

This should really be a slap on the wrist offence. Using exploits in WoW never got you more than a monthly ban. The permaban was only considered for repeat offenders.

I guess it makes sense. With a pay-to-shop model you don’t have to care that those guys aren’t around anymore, because you’ve already gotten their money, and your profits are far more inconsistent, and long term. With a subscription MMO, you have no real interest in keeping people away for longer than you have to, unless they’re truly ruining it for other paying customers.

Which isn’t to say that ArenaNet and Blizzard aren’t prefectly within their rights to protect their games however they see fit, it was more the “It’s okay for ArenaNet, but not for Blizzard” schtick that I was looking forward to.

Thanks again :P

10. Sylrissa

@9 Umm, it’s a 72hour ban, not a 72 day ban.

11. DSB

@10 My goof :D

Kinda begs the question, why start out with a permaban? Why not give them a 3 day ban and then escalate if they offend again?

I think it’s shooting sparrows with cannons.

12. Sylrissa

@11 Good point, for an exploit like this, a 3 day ban from the start as a sort of, “don’t do it again or your gone next time” should of been enough as a warning, rather then straight to perma.

It’s like guilty until proven innocent.