Xbox Live supports GaymerCon, event’s Kickstarter surpasses $75,000

Thursday, 30th August 2012 21:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has has released a video showing support for GaymerCon.

Created by the Xbox Live Team, the video urges everyone to continue pledging funds to the event’s Kickstarter campaign which ends in 31 hours.

The goal of $25,000 was met rather quickly, and $76,443 has been pledged by 1,313 backers.

You can donate yourself through the link.

1. HauntaVirus

WTF…Just NO.

2. MidlifeAxe

What sort of stunt is this?

3. DSB

Awesome. A little variety never hurt anyone.

4. Dark

I don’t see the point of this.
    The LGBT community is treat with equality at events like E3 and PAX.

5. vormison

Thith ith like the cooletht thing ever! Kidding..in all honesty, bring it on.

6. mr_krunchi

“The stereotypes about gamers are many, but the core is the perception that gamers are usually straight white guys in dark rooms furiously mashing at a controller. That’s not the reality. Gamers come in all sizes, genders, races, and sexual identities. Unfortunately stereotypical bias among gamers does exist and it can make a hostile environment for minorities in the gaming community. Hang around an online game long enough and you’ll start hearing homophobic, racial, and misogynistic slurs slung around without a second thought.”

I feel like this convention doesn’t necessarily need to be named just for “gaymers”, but also a queer (meaning different) convention, bringing together the different minorities of the community to enjoy the same thing we all share – gaming. I’m really glad to see something like this happening.

7. silkvg247

Oh the hypocrisy, I can’t even label myself a lesbian on my xbox profile.. not that I’d want to, but still!

8. Fin

This is one bit of gaming news that has mad me smile :)

9. psxman

I can’t help but recall all the controversy with names/profiles being banned due to GLBT content, even when unintended.

So long as MS doesn’t somehow try and change what this could potentially be, I don’t see any problems with this.

10. Ireland Michael

@7, 9 Those restrictions were removed years ago.

I’m glad to see Microsoft giving this exposure. Hopefully this will see the event get even more support.

11. Spider Law

Im with #4 and #6
    Next lets start a convention for gamers that happen to be Straight, Completely Fit (maybe more on the more ripped side ;-) ), Fathers/Mothers of 4 (like me), that work 60hrs a week and still love to play video games.
    Yup, lets do that!

Come one, the gay community wants to be treated as equal and yet they run around conventioning every stupid little thing. they are the most loud and obnoxious community honestly.
    I have 4 gay cousins, 2 gay uncles, 2 gay aunts, and 5 bisexual cousins (i have a HUGE family of 90+ members easily) and we all love them with all hearts. I don’t ever see them running around having to announce that they are gay at every single chance they get like most of the “Me Me Me Me gay community.”

Seriously, annoying to see this crap everywhere i turn on the internet.

12. DSB