Oculus CEO compares Rift headset to Kinect

Thursday, 30th August 2012 01:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe has said VR headset Rift is “just gonna change everything”, in a way that making bigger and better consoles can’t – but something like Kinect could.

Speaking to GamesIndustry, Iribe said releasing more powerful hardware doesn’t do enough to shake up gaming.

“When we hear about next-gen consoles, ‘They’re gonna be 6 or 7 times faster’, great, another faster console. It’s gonna be amazing, it’ll have some better looking graphics, some better physics and more realistic AI, but what is that new experience? What’s that new sensation that you play with and go ‘Oh my god, this is incredible,’” he said.

On the other hand, new methods of interaction and control give Iribe the nice kind of heebie-jeebies.

“Microsoft is driving a lot of really cool innovation around Kinect, and that is bringing a new dimension to things. For me, when I tried Kinect, the hair on the back of my neck didn’t stand up. I thought, ‘This is cool, this will go somewhere, it’s kind of neat,’” he added.

“When I put on the prototype of Rift, and I looked into the VR world, and I’m moving my head around, it’s perfectly tracking and I’m in this 3D world, that’s when I said ‘Oh my god, this is incredible, this is just gonna change everything.’”

Iribe said he can’t wait to play games in VR so he can feel immersed in the worlds of titles like Call of Duty, Crysis and Battlefield.

“This is really going to create a lot of excitement in the game space. You don’t get somebody like Gabe Newell or Michael Abrash or John Carmack excited about too many things, and when you do you should definitely pay attention,” he added.

Oculus Rift is in the closing days of its Kickstarter and has raised over $2 million.

1. NocturnalB

I agree with this guy. The Kinect is cool and all, but it has never “wow’d” me. Not to say it’s not a good thing getting people physically active while enjoying their games, but to me it’s always felt… gimmicky. Like 3D.

I think the Oc Rift goggles would definitely be a fun physical immersion into a game that still functions to the liking’s of a “hardcore” gamer, i have a more realistic view of incorporating them into my everyday gaming than the Kinect.

To me, it’s the same as the difference between I.E. and Chrome.

2. unacomn

He compared it with Kinect in a way other than “it won’t stink like the Kinect? Well, there’ goes any hope of the Oculus being interesting gone down the drain.

3. manamana

Shut up and take my gold already!

4. Gadzooks!

Virtua Boy and Sony’s VR headset sold how many dozen units combined?

Yeah, thought so.

This thing may be cool as hell but nobody will buy one. Thats 2 mil completely wasted and a bunch of donators hurtling toward planet regret.

5. manamana

^ It’s far beyond me, how you can even compare this Virtua Boy to a system that displays at least this-gen graphics. And Sony are normal display goggles. This thing has integrated headtracking. You know what that means, don’t you?

I guess you are one of those that thinks Kinect is a failure with 10million + sold ….

6. Gadzooks!

#5

I own, and use regularly, a Kinect. Wrecketeer is currently taking up most of my regular friday night sofa crew gaming time due to being quite brilliant and surprisingly deep and strategic.

Decent, hell just playable, games on it are a rareity though. It really isnt a very good device, and it will take massive, massive improvement for me to consider buying the next iteration.

As for VR headsets… well they come along as frequently as 3D, and the fad dies off just as quickly as 3D each time.

The reason? People dont like being strapped into devices and isolated. It simply will not catch on. It hasnt before, it won’t now and it probably never will.