Black Ops 2 – new multiplayer features and gameplay detailed

Thursday, 30th August 2012 17:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Black Ops 2 multiplayer features, have been detailed by Treyarch in the latest One of Swords podcast.

According to game director David Vonderhaar, deathstreaks have been eliminated as there’s “no Second Chance; there’s no Last Stand, there’s no Final Stand.”

“There’s no combination whatsoever of perk or deathstreak that puts the guy in the downed state in multiplayer,” he said. “It’s still used as the revival state in Zombies when you get downed. But it’s not in multiplayer – there is no perk and there are no deathstreaks, so there is no Final Stand or equivalent of it.”

Regular streak rewards will be handed out instead, and while rewards will “wrap around,” players can’t earn more than one of a type.

“Let’s say you took UAV and Counter UAV,” Vonderhaar explained. “If you earned the UAV then earned the Counter UAV, you’re going to start building again for the UAV – but if you haven’t spent it, if you haven’t called it in or activated it, you’re not going to get a second one. You’re just going to get notified that you’re back at that part of the chain.

“You would definitely want to activate those scorestreaks so when you loop, you’ll get them again. It’s not like Black Ops 1, which is they just keep going forever and you effectively have to die to loop. You don’t have to die to loop at any point; you’ll just keep looping.”

“It’s an option that you can turn on and off in custom games,” he said. “We gave it a name – Revenge Voice. It’s on in public games; we can turn it off in league play if we want. We love that thing. It’s funny.”

Vondehaar also explained various unlocks and Prestiging, and you can find out more through the link.

Below, there’s also a video below, which you may or may not have seen already, showing competitive gameplay.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is out November 13 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. You can get hands on with the multiplayer portion at the EG Expo September 27-30.

1. datass

I liked cod and then i saw what they were doing…still, i never bashed the series or cod, i was even defending it…but damn, gameplay is still THE SAME, like reskined black ops…shame

2. G1GAHURTZ

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Treyarch +1

One of the worst things in any game ever made is last flippin’ stand! It’s practically cheating!

All the doubts I had about liking this game’s MP have instantly vanished purely because of this.

Have that, n00bs!!

3. ManuOtaku

#2 well GIGA that was my only chance to took revenge to some dude that had killed me the for the 10 time, is not funny, at least with this you would say: you made a mistake you came close enough to me that you deserve to die for that mistake, but i understand if you are the player that do the kills is quite a killjoy, but man it was in some cases my only asset, to get even for just one sweet moment T_T, it will be miss, but i do hope they replace it with more options so i dont have the need to resort to this kind of tricks.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, sorry Manu, but I just can’t stand (no pun intended) it at all.

I see what you’re saying, but I honestly think the game will be much better without it.

I’m sure they’ll have other ways to help people out if they’re struggling.

_____________

“There will even be a new optional feature included which will allow players to hear the last words spoken by someone they have killed.”

This has happened to me before as a random glitch, where I could hear what people were saying right after I killed them. It’s pretty funny hearing people rage at your gamertag…

5. OrbitMonkey

^ Manu, just get it for the WiiU. Those Ninty kids haven’t had a decent fps to hone their mad skillz on since GoldenEye ;-)

6. ManuOtaku

#5 Orbit yeah you are right LOL
    p.s although i have all my call of duty games on the 360 and the battlefield series on the ps3, i think i will cotinuing with my punishment a little bit more in call of duty on the 360, man there are some wizards playing this game on the 360, i dream to play like that, really but well i just be happy killing five or six guys per round, in some rounds i do good, but in others dear lord 3 at tops.