NHL 13 to feature female athletes Hayley Wickenheiser and Angela Ruggiero

Wednesday, 29th August 2012 20:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

NHL 13 will feature female athletes on the roster when EA releases it next month. The firm said its the “first time ever in a professional league simulation sports video game,” that women athletes will be featured. Former Team USA’s Angela Ruggiero will join former Team Canada’s Hayley Wickenheiser as playable athletes in the game. Female players were first added through the Be a Pro mode after a request from a 14-year-old female fan was emailed to the EA SPORTS development team. In addition to Olympic winning female players, NHL Hall of Famers Doug Gilmour, Jari Kurri, and NHL legend Dominik Hasek will also be added to the roster. NHL 13 hits September 11 in the US and September 13 in Europe for PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. DSB

So are they going to get their stats boosted by about 20% so they can keep up with the guys?

Oooooh, boom! Now I gone and done it.

I guess that would put them on the same level as the Danish national team, seeing as they suck.

Oooooh, self-burn! Cross-check to the face.

2. roadkill

I do not understand why this is happening. :) What is the purpose of this!? Maybe I got something wrong. I never watch hockey. Not that I don’t like it. I thin kit’s cool. But never mind that. My question is, do men and women play in the same league!?

3. PEYJ

A bit odd that an email from some girl can change the content in a game, isn’t it? Besides that, are those females supposed to play on mens teams? Why not put a couple of womens teams in there and people can play with them.

Btw DSB, not sure if you were being ironic but I feel its safe to say that the Danish male team would beat the american or canadian female team anytime, despite their dissapointing performance last time.

4. DSB

@3 Right, I was only half kidding. We have a lot of players that aren’t “international level”, but we’ve still made it into the A-series, and beaten some of the superpowers.

I just think it’s funny that in spite of that, the Danish team is ranked so far down in the NHL games. It’s pretty damn near impossible to actually replicate those victories within the game itself.

Whoevers doing the handicapping for those games seems to think that we would take a beating from those women’s teams :)

5. PEYJ

I’m pretty sure that is what they think. Probably due to modern day social constructions, that’s my guess anyway.

6. Mr Sparkle

By the way Hayley Wickenheiser is still playing, still Canada’s captain.

#6 1 year ago