Torchlight 2 release date to be announced August 31

Saturday, 25th August 2012 18:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Torchlight 2 will finally be given a release date on Friday morning, August 31. The news was posted by Runic over on the official website. Here’s the word: “August 31 kicks off of our favorite con, PAX Prime, and we’ll be there to show Torchlight II and tell everyone the official Torchlight II launch date,” reads the post. The date will be posted on the website, as well as on the game’s Facebook page and Twitter account.

1. MidlifeAxe

They’ve announced a release date for a release date.

2. Giskard

Since they’re hyping the release date for the release date, could the releaste date for the release date be the actual release date? :p

3. Hunam

I think it is Giskard!

4. KrazyKraut

got a mail from amazon.de that the game will launch on 30th October.

5. DSB

Geeze, that’s a pretty big delay.

6. magnumfinger

I’ll play this game for a week or two just for the sake of it.. But most probably, it isn’t close or even near as Diablo 2 — as from what I’ve experienced from its beta. And that hype all built by ‘some’ players that it’s 10 times better than D3 was a joke.

Hopefully, another better aRPG arrives.

7. magnumfinger

And of course, it’s not coming to Xbox 360: http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/torchlight-2-release-date-and-gameplay-update-not-coming-to-xbox-live-arcade/ via N4G.

8. DSB

@7 I had much the same experience. The gameplay was kinda arbitrary and the game was just ugly.

It had a great sense of humor though.

Not sure I’d want a remake of Diablo 2 personally. aRPGs really need someone who’ll take them forward. It looks like a lot of people are busy making them, so at some point they’re bound to evolve a bit.

9. M. K.

Give 360 version

10. TheWulf

Torchlight II is doing a lot to move action RPGs forward in lots of interesting ways. If you’d been following the posts about this by the devs over on the forums, DSB, you’d know that’s the reason for the delay.

They’re actually listening to people and fixing things up based upon beta feedback. Unlike some ARPG developers I could name. And I had loads of fun with the TL II beta even as it was. I can only speak for myself but I thought it was a blast. Not to mention that TL II is respectful to people by offering them armour options, instead of stranding you in chainmail bikini land. Even that alone is progressive.

Plus TL II has puzzle dungeons, and puzzle dungeons make me happy. It might not make you smashy-killy-only anti-intellectual types happy, but it pleases me.

My social circle is as psyched for Torchlight II as we are for Guild Wars 2. Both represent very wonderful things. And keep in mind that you need the right sort of mind for proper progression. Not all updates are good. Diablo III has all manner of horrible things – linear item progression with zero sidegrades, chainmail bikinis only for women, character classes which offer no replayability (you can’t build them differently), a game that feels far more like WoW than an action RPG, and so on.

If Diablo III is what you consider to be ‘moving on’ then I hope to hell no one is listening to or thinking like you, it was a terrible game.

But Torchlight II is keeping the best of the old whilst introducing lots of new and interesting elements, so I’m pretty excited for it. Plus mods! That’s another thing that you’ll be able to do, which is awesome. The original Torchlight had some truly fantastic ones.

So TL II is going to be juuuust fine, and leagues ahead of the competition.

11. DSB

The only person ranting about Diablo III here, is you. I dare say you rant about Diablo III more than anyone else in these comment sections, put together. That’s impressive for someone who didn’t even play the game.

Diablo III wasn’t a step forward either. If anything it was a bad mix of the worst parts of Diablo II, with entirely new missteps added to it. The only thing it had going for it was the care they put into the gameplay mechanics, which would’ve made for a good game if the rest could keep up.

Now, in your sad little world, Diablo III being flawed, may make Torchlight II better in direct proportion, but not everyone is a slavering sycophant who can’t keep things seperate.

Two out of eight people managed to bring up Diablo III in their comments. That’s you and magnumfinger :)

12. OlderGamer

I think given the proximity of their release dates, the shared genere, the fact that former Blizzard people are in Runic games, there has to be a comparison DSB. It begs to be compared.

I played the Beta TL II, bought a 4 pack on steam. I also own DiabloIII, and still play(did last night). And I know that Wulf can get carried away(sometimes we all do), but for the most part I agree with him too.

I just didn’t want to come into this thread and flame Diablo III.

I would like to point out one thing that gets overlooked. As to the smooth playablity praise that get piled on Diablo III. Most of the time, when I die in the game, it is because I am standing on something that spawned under my toon and I can’t move off of it. a second and half later I am waiting to respawn. That is bad gameplay. Not because I died, but because I couldn’t find a place to click in order to move my toon off of said pool of (Acid/molten/whatever). Thats and the limited number of “equipable/useable” skill slots on the action bar really hurt the playability of Diablo III. Alot. Of course that is just my opinion, but what do I know I can’t even beat Diablo in nightmare mode, the game is too damn hard for me.

I can tell you that every game in the genere I have played after experiencing TQ:IT has disapointed me. Where Torchlight wins me over is in it playability, diversity, and price point. I just expect less out of a 20usd game vs a 60usd one.

I know that they are rebalancing diabloIIIs dificulty, maybe it will get to a point where I can keep going. But I am very close to walking away. And for clearity, it isn’t that I can’t die over and over to clear an area. It is that I don’t want to. It just isn’t fun.

13. DSB

To me it’s just two sides of the same coin.

The same scenario you describe can and does happen in Torchlight II. I don’t think it’s a terrible thing for an aRPG though. Part of the fun is trying to stay ahead of abilities and AOE.

What I think is critical, is the fact that the gameplay isn’t very demanding. They’ve traded the depth of gameplay for choice. I tried a few different builds, and even though the skills were different, I still felt like I was doing the exact same things. The difference was arbitrary, where trading a skill or a rune in Diablo III could force you to play an entirely new way. That’s one of the few things they got right.

Maybe I’m just simple, but I never did use more than six skills at any one time. I had them slotted, but anything beyond 7 were basically never used. Do you really use the whole bar?

I totally agree that Diablo III’s uber-difficulty is a bad substitute for a more complete game, though.

14. OlderGamer

Depends on the game, as for how many skills I use. In TQ:IT I use a lot of them. Torchlight I only used a couple. In DiabloIII I would love to be able to use even just 2 or 3 more skills. In the TLII beta I used the bar, some skills more then others of course.