GW2 – connectivity issues reported, fixes in progress

Saturday, 25th August 2012 14:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Guild Wars 2 users in Europe have been reporting issues signing into the game since the three-day head start launched at midnight PDT today.

ArenaNet announced last week servers could possibly go online up to three hours early in order to do more maintenance, but costumers would also be able to log in at this time.

While most of the log-in issues seem to be stemming from Europe, other reports of players not being able to change their home world have been reported, along with the ability to purchase the game, and various connection error codes are being reported, as well as firewall, server boots, and incorrect password issues.

Issues with signing into user accounts on the Guild Wars 2 website are also occurring. Users are reporting the 502 error code “Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.” This error seems to be occurring sporadically in all regions.

World vs World is also currently experiencing some scoring issues, and rewards issues surrounding the Hall of Monuments.

ArenaNet has said it is investigating all issues at present and will update the community when it has more information.

“At present, our server team are working on the underlying problems that are causing login issues, thank you for your continued patience,” reads a tweet from the firm. “We have re-established server connectivity and are aware of some Error 42 issues. If you find this error please try again to reconnect.”

ArenNet has also said it’s aware of Error 1032, which is related to “high demand for World transfers,” which “might take a several minutes, so try again in a bit.”

If you are experiencing issues yourself, you may wish to monitor the official Guild Wars 2 Twitter account, as well as the forums.

Guild Wars 2 launches on August 28 for those who did not pre-purchase or pre-order the game.

1. viralshag

I don’t think it is just Europe, I think it’s the US too. Some people have said that the Guild Wars servers are also down.

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Yes, but most connectivity issues reporting this morning were coming from Europe. The US issues are also noted and more information is being added as it becomes available. Most US users that I have talked to (make that 5) can’t even access their account online to download the client – which has also been noted. Again, I’ll add more information as it becomes available. Seems like this always happens with an MMO launch. :(

3. viralshag

Kinda wish I hadn’t woken up at 5am now :P

4. GrimRita

People are saying even GW 1 has gone offline now as well. Like you Viral, up since 5am and only managed to reach lvl 7!

The update patch has caused the problems it appears.

I find it strange that despite several stress tests, its all fallen flat and so quickly. How many times now must consumers suffer with this kind of bull shit?

Sure, you can make various arguements about the volume of people logging in, but as a publisher, you know how many copies you expect to sell on day X – logic says that you need enough capacity to deal with that.

5. G1GAHURTZ

Par for the course.

6. Phoenixblight

Yeah I am unable to connect. It worked fine at launch of the headstart until 2am CT then I woke up at 9am and its not connecting at all.

7. Stephany Nunneley

@4 “Im sure Hamsters arent that expensive – put some more on the bloody wheel Arena!”

As someone who has gone through her fair share of hamsters to run the wheels in her ISP router, I can attest that while inexpensive, they are a snarky lot who only run when you provide enough pellets and if you are lucky enough for them not to form a union, they tucker out quickly and tend to die on you more often than not. :P

8. Kalain

So, who’s going to defend this debacle? ArenaNet knew the numbers of players they had, they knew all the numbers from the stress tests, so what happened? Where the stress tests all for nothing? It would appear so.

So, who’s going to step up and spin this around………

9. NeoSquall

lucky me I still have Sleeping Dogs to finish and Darksiders II to start.
    I would be pissed off if I can’t reserve my main character’s name in time for the start, though.

10. Stephany Nunneley

Update: “We have re-established server connectivity and are aware of some Error 42 issues.If you find this error please try again to reconnect.”

I’ve added the quote into the post.

11. DSB

Error 42, huh? Sounds familiar.

Where have I heard of a game experiencing a similar error….. Tap tap tap.

12. Talkar

I lol’d xD

13. Hcw87

There has never been a flawless MMO release, and there probably never will be. MoP will suffer aswell, i could even bet money on it. Who didn’t see this coming, honestly? I just don’t care after all these years playing MMO’s, issues get fixed eventually.

14. Talkar

SWTOR launched pretty damn smoothly. No error messages only queues.

15. BraveArse

I got on for a couple of hours at 6 this morning UK time and it was really fun I have to say. Been back on just now for about an hour or so and it’s a massive lagfest, which I guess is to be expected.

The main thing for me though, is that it’s very enjoyable and, so far, it seems to be addressing most of the issues I’ve had with a lot of mmo’s. Dynamic events, for example, are really well done.

16. GwynbleiddiuM

Le wild Wulf disappears.

17. Stephany Nunneley

“We’re aware of Error 1032. It is related to high demand for World transfers. It might take a several minutes, so try again in a bit.”

That has been added to the post as well.

18. Giskard

@13 Cataclysm launched without any major errors. Sure, the first 5 minutes after midnight were a mess, but other than that? No lag, no errors, nothing.

19. Droid

Bah still no fix for the users with unauthorised error 9:4:5:1268 code, even though we all have valid 3 day codes. Chances of getting a reply from their support people are slim to zero over the next few days no doubt. Was no point in pre-purchasing it at all it seems. :(

20. KineticCalvaria

Well its working for me, playable but trading post is down and various launch day bugs. Quite a good launch for an MMO really. If anyones on Gandara add Invincible Thor :)

21. Droid

For anyone else getting the 9:4:5:1268 error code it seems lots of retailers have been lying about 3-day early access. You will most likely only get 1-day, if that, with your codes.

22. GrimRita

You cant compare this to SWTOR Talkar since their server capacity was around 100.

Either way, this was still a ball ache considering so many stress tests but thats life.

23. Phoenixblight

Uh server caps were not 100 on TOR. Each instance within the server was capped at a 100 but the servers could actually hold 5-10k

24. DSB

It’s already being rebranded as Login Wars around the interwebs :P

25. magnumfinger

expect this game to be plagued by botters and farmers soon. I already seen two quick exploits for this game.

26. Kalain

Yup.. Game is so good, that ArenaNet’s latest build, not only does it force you to restart, but after it’s patched it stops you from logging onto the servers…

Now, I’ve been through several MMO launches before which have had hiccups, but never one that has released a new version of the game which doesn’t allow you actually connect to the login servers..

Well done ArenaNet.. Well done

27. TheWulf

Yep. At least it wasn’t like a certain always-online single-player game, though. The worst I saw (and I’ve played a lot thus far) was that I got kicked occasionally. I had no trouble logging on when it went live (and I was there when the timer hit zero), and all I had to do was log back in when it kicked me.

All in all, despite getting kicked occasionally, this is the smoothest MMO launch I’ve ever seen.

28. TheWulf

[citation needed]

Your arse does not count as a valid cite.

29. TheWulf

Yeeeah. I noticed the trading post was down. That meant it took me a lot of time to get my aviator sunglasses. But it came up again eventually, I got my aviator sunglasses, and all was well!

I simply have to have aviator sunglasses as a charr.

30. TheWulf

Or, you know, I could actually be playing the game and doing things instead of spending my time hanging around comments threads all the time like a crazy neurotic, wondering where that guy I hate is.

>____>

31. TheWulf

Finished reading back.

I’m actually amazed that some people are having problems. There are some names here whom I’d actually respect and believe, rather than thinking of as just being troublemakers. GrimRita is one. Yes, there are people I can think of as not being just trolls around here.

It surprises me because I’ve genuinely had no problems. I’ve played it a lot and the worst I got was getting kicked every now and then. I don’t know whether I’m just lucky, or whether it’s because I chose to play on an American server (Sorrow’s Furnace).

I… don’t know. I honestly don’t know. But the game’s been really good to me and I’ve spent a lot of time with friends as me charr.

32. Kabby

Thanks for the updates.

33. GwynbleiddiuM

@31 Wulf, Contradictory to what you might think I actually don’t hate you. Hate is such a strong feeling for a guy I haven’t even met. I might begining to hate Da Man but, that’s Da Man I think everybody hate him. And that was a sarcasm and it was because you’ve been hammering hard the D3 news regardless of what they were about but, at the convenient time of GW2′s error fest you did not show up. :P

34. Phoenixblight

I have been having intermittent connection errors where it couldn’t even get on the log in server along with some disconnections. Its not bad launch like AOC, Warhammer but its not a Rift, TOR either.

You would imagine with those dozen of stress tests, they would have it down to a science but we can’t be so lucky.

35. OlderGamer

Rift was the smoothest MMOrpg launch I can recall.

I don’t have my copy of GW2 yet. I want the game, might head to Gamestop this afternoon and trade soem stuff in to grab a copy. But I am not in a rush, going to let them sort things out first.

36. Kalain

@ Wulf..

Since the last patch, I’ve had nothing but issues trying to connect to the game. I need to login 2-3 times before it will stick. I had no issue this morning, before the patch was released. This hasn’t been the worst launch, Everquest was the most horrific I’ve ever been through, but it has not been the best.

As for Login wars 2 citation: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=loginwars&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The smoothest MMO launch I’ve had was SWTOR.. Despite the queues, I had no problems with that game.. I can’t comment on Rift since I joined after 6 months launch..

37. viralshag

@31, You don’t have to believe anyone here talking about connection issues but it’s hard to ignore the hundreds of Tweets to GW2 and the replies from the GW2 team acknowledging it.

Since the game being down for the few hours yesterday I can’t say I’ve had any issues since. Even after the update today I was able to log back in after about five minutes.

It’s been a much smoother day than yesterday all in all.