Darksiders 2 patch to address progression bugs, add requested PC features

Saturday, 25th August 2012 18:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A patch for Darksiders 2 on PC and console is in the works at Vigil Games.

The patch on PC will address a number of bugs which can potentially block progression and will contain “additional features” per player request such as: vsync updates, improved shadow map resolution, X-axis options and additional keyboard mapping options.

For PS3 and Xbox 360, a patch will be rolled out to fix progression bugs users are experiencing alongside PC users.

Vigil said it’s “prioritized addressing these issues,” but the approval process for patches “can take a little while,” so to please remain patient.

Darksiders 2 is out now on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. A Wii U version is expected around the console’s launch.

1. Andytizer

For bugs, fixes and workarounds for PC version of Darksiders 2, visit this page: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Darksiders_II – if you discover a new fix, please add it in, no account required.

2. Edo

Too little too late(for me anyway).I managed to finish the game somehow but the game fucked up my entire PC.It caused constant lock ups and display driver crashes…whatmore even as I am typing this my PC freezed for a second.This is one of the laziest PC ports in the history and what rubs the the salt into the wound is not the fact that THEY lied about these day one features for the PC version(cause that’s a given for the developers these days)but,that there is this MORON(who’s name I wont mention)who works for a certain gaming site that praised to the heaven and back how good of a port this game was.

3. Phoenixblight

That wouldn’t be because of a game if anything the game made an error come to the surface even though it was already there. Did you try using Driver Sweeper and re-installing the latest drivers? I have this game on the PC while it does have the bare bones for PC options the game has ran smoothly and that is with a MSI 560ti. Your GPU could be about to kick the bucket aswell.

4. Edo

@3 Sure buddy,it’s just a coincidence that THIS game crashed my display driver dozens of times in an hour or so or that it’s non-working vertical synch caused my GPU to overheat and that I had to use D3Doverrider to fix it…sigh.My Radeon 6870 GPU(that I bought this year) is not”about to kick the bucket”,I have played dozens of games this year,games that were couple of times more demanding and none of which cause these problems…the game is a lazy port…nothing more nothing else.

5. Phoenixblight

I am not defending the game. It just seems to me like you have a bad driver. Then again you have an AMD GPU which are known for shitty drivers.

6. bo_7md

Didn’t face a lot of problems here–Nvidia– Nothing game-breaking at least.

Finished the game and was satisfied with it, much better than the first. Not too epic not too bad, worth the price.

7. ps3fanboy

that is some serious bugs for a new game, thank god i didn’t buy this spaghetti code. lets give it a 10-20 years and these patches ain’t available, the game will be unplayable junk… to bad for game collectors.

8. Cobra951

When reviewers mention program crashes, you know the code is garbage. I’ll give it 6 months minimum for fixes before I buy it, if I ever buy it.

9. AnklaX

wow. I had no idea. I finished the game almost glitch free. Only once the enemies appeared to be attacking a ghost instead of me but a restart fixed that. Otherwise its glitch free.

I have a pretty low spec PC with a decent graphics card and this game runs better/smoother than the first. So I have to conclude that it is a better optimized game.

@2 I’d suggest uninstalling graphic driver and installing older driver. I have ATI card that is a few years old. I used to update drivers but that created problems. Maybe it will help some of you to solve your problems. Maybe, maybe not.

btw had a lot of fun playing. Now off to play Dark Souls.

10. silkvg247

If I turn anti aliasing on on my AMD card, all 3D models become ghosts. So can’t even override the total lack of display options.

I’ll try on my PC (gf580) after this LAN. On my laptop at the mo.

11. Kabby

That usually happens if you enable transparency multi-sampling. Skyrim has the same bug. Just use the AMD FXAA equivalent. MLAA is it?

12. DSB

Would anyone care to remind me why I should save 50 bucks on buying an AMD card next time? :P

13. TheWulf

I think it’s silly not to buy games because of port elitism. Still, it’s the loss of anyone who doesn’t because it’s quite a fun game. I wasn’t expecting it to be fun, to be honest. It’s like someone took Diablo (Diablo I or II, that is, one of the good Diablos, the Diablos that had sidegrades) and smooshed it into Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Then they took one of the best action games of all time, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and they ground it up and sprinkled it over that already bizarre concoction.

The result is surprisingly fun. I’m really jaded by games so I don’t buy them, often, but it was TB’s WTF video of it that convinced me to jump on it. Since that’s three of my favourite games mentioned, there. I love Zelda, Diablo, and Prince of Persia. And this is like all of them in one game. Whomever came up with this was an evil genius.

And I hope they keep making more games. It’s better than most of the generic pap out there right now,t hat’s for sure.

—Edit—

Another thing I will add is that Darksiders II has billions of times the amount of replay that Diablo III has. In Diablo III, due to not being able to specialise your classes or find sidegrades, the progression is a boring, monotonous experience, and playing it again is just stomaching the same, monotonous thing. But Darksiders II took the best from the older Diablo games instead.

It’s kind of funny, because Darksiders II isn’t so much an action RPG. I don’t think it’s meant to be. And yet it’s so, so, so much better at being an action RPG than Diablo III could even dream of being.

14. viralshag

I have it on PC and it’s been smooth as. Really enjoying it and will get back to it once I’ve finished with GW2.

15. silkvg247

@11 Any AA setting whatsoever (other than application controlled i.e. off) causes it. :/

This is one of the worse ports I have ever seen. The low res textures, the complete lack of any PC options, the horrible character render in the inventory screen (I mean what is that, 800×600?), the fact you can’t even quit out of the title screen!?? Wish I’d waited for it to go down to £5 on PS3 or something now.

How on earth can this be by the same company that did SR3? A proper PC port. Maybe different devs, but surely the same QA department? How did it even pass? I would have been writing fail all over that fucker.

And yes I am a PC snob; and yes I do expect games to make the most out of the hardware I spend thousands on.

Is the game playable and fun? Probably. But to me part of the fun is seeing a game run smoothly with max settings. Seeing it look awesome. Not like something that could have been made 6 years ago.

I owned DS1 on xbox and loved it. I should have got DS2 on console as well, but I did not realise they would literally do nothing at all on the PC version. It’s really fucking shoddy. Steam should do refunds for shit like that. In meantime I’m off back to sleeping dogs and GW2.

16. Cobra951

“I think it’s silly not to buy games because of port elitism.”

@13, I’m not looking to buy the PC port. I’m looking at the Xbox version. That one is technically garbage too.

17. Phoenixblight

“Maybe different devs, but surely the same QA department?”

No QA is in the same studio(Vigil) that the developers are. THQ has their own QA to make sure milestone deliverables(ie the game works and runs properly to the satisfaction of the publisher).

The original Darksiders was barebones as well.

18. Sublimeone

Sucks to be you people that bought this game and had it tough, no Offense.

I learnt my lesson from the first Darksiders 1, here I was thinking I made the better choice over Bayonetta. Boy, was I wrong, that stuff (Darksiders) was so broken, I feared for my PS3 with the constant restarts due to the hangups, glitches, you name it. That release was pure garbage, how the hell did it even pass Quality Control/Assurance.

I know it wasn’t universally broken, but jeez this was like a hit/miss Lottery with CRAP – (some had it good, other didn’t)

As a result I made sure to trade it in so fast with/without completing the game within the time frame I gave myself. So like when Vigil announced the 2, I was “uh uhh!!” “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me”.