Remember Me: Capcom sees ‘long-term future’ in Dontnod’s IP

Friday, 24th August 2012 13:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Remember Me, the futuristic action adventure title from Dontnod was unveiled by publisher Capcom last week. Capcom’s marketing head for Europe and US Michael Pattison has revealed why the company simply had to sign the game up, and why it sees great potential in the game’s future.

Speaking with MCV, Pattison explained why Capcom came to sign a deal with Dontnod, “I was searching on the internet at the time and saw some of this concept art, and I was taken aback. So we took a trip over to Paris and it all happened very quickly.”

Capcom weren’t the only publisher with its eye on Remember Me, Pattison revealed, “There were a number of very high profile publishers looking at it at the time and in fact there were deals waiting to be signed when we arrived. Capcom is not usually that quick to make decisions, but as soon as we saw this we had to put our hat in the ring.”

It’s not a flash in the pan deal either, Pattison stated, “For any new IP, particularly this late in the cycle, you are going to have to overindex in terms of the spend. It is something we see a long-term future in and we will invest appropriately.”

Thanks MCV.

1. Edo

Linear,no exploration,any kind of upgrades,not my cup of tea.

2. Da Man

This videogame has a strong sci-fi independent woman protagonist apparently fighting some oppressive government and has a Matrix/Ghost in the Shell theme.

!!!

IT MUST BE RELEASED.

(Not really)

3. Ali

Looking forward to this though Crapcom’s involvement is throwing me away more and more…

Why did it have to be Capcom ?

4. ps3fanboy

it is a reason why sony dropped this game, it is crap. so it is going to be more likely a ‘long term turd’ for capcom.

5. ManuOtaku

#4 well activision said pretty much the same thing with Sleeping Dogs, and look how it did turned out, lets hope the same happens here, the more good games we get the better, IMHO.
    P.S i hope they handle this like dragon dogma and not Street Fighter, though

6. Da Man

Sony almost dropped Demon’s Souls, which was later ironically touted by SDF as one of the best videogames on PS3..

7. OrbitMonkey

^ Keyword being “almost”.

8. Da Man

Keep telling yourself that.

9. Christopher Jack

@8, ‘Cuz he’s right? There’s a huge difference between almost & being dropped.

10. Ireland Michael

Because we all know Sony only supports high quality games, right?

Lawl. Fanboys.

11. Gadzooks!

They dropped the ball on the sequel. XD

12. Da Man

Cuz he iz wrung.

So r u.
    “For my personal experience with Demon’s Souls, when it was close to final I spent close to two hours playing it and after two hours I was still standing at the beginning at the game,” he admitted. “I said, ‘This is crap. This is an unbelievably bad game.’ So I put it aside.

Luckily, third party publishers, Atlus in North America and Namco in Europe [stepped in], and it really became a great hit outside of Japan. We definitely dropped the ball from a publishing standpoint, including studio management side. We were not able to see the value of the product we were making.

“I hope we won’t make the same mistake again. I should have been more stubborn talking to marketing people here in North America and Europe.”

13. OrbitMonkey

^ So you found a quote about how Sony almost dropped Demon Souls… Almost being the keyword.

:-/

14. Da Man

It’s from vg247, I happen to have a good memory.

Like I said keep telling yourself that, they dropped it everywhere apart from their home country, a game like DS is the equivalent of a Gears of War clone in US, even the clunkiest and quirkiest shit sells there.

Fact is, Sony weren’t able to recognize the content and refused to publish it in every outside market. Probably spent a tad bit of money on it already (it was a collaboration with Sony Japan iirc) and realized the JP sales alone would cover that.

15. OrbitMonkey

^ So the fact is they almost dropped it, but didn’t. Keyword being almost.

16. Da Man

Fact is they didn’t hesitate to publish Genji and didn’t publish DS anywhere outside of a safe market.

You keep holdin’ on to your purchase, brah.

17. Ireland Michael

@15 What exactly is your point? Sony do not have some sort of magical track records for only supporting good games, and nothing else. They’ve had plenty of stinkers in their time.

18. Christopher Jack

@17, His point is extremely obvious. Sony didn’t drop Demon’s Souls. Kinda hard to not understand. In fact it’s hurting me to try to understand how you didn’t understand.

Some people seriously put too much though into the obvious & it causes so many problems. Some things are, believe it or not, what they appear to be.

19. Da Man

Yeah, they did drop it. You heard it straight from the bushido man himself.

Do you know how western releases of JP games are decided? If they’re crap (which DS was thought as by Sony themselves), they don’t come out.

Some things are, believe it or not, what they appear to be.
    Exactly. $599 is $599.

20. Ireland Michael

@18 Whether they did or did not, what bearing does it have on the topic at hand?

21. Christopher Jack

@19, I never denied Sony selling the PS3 for $599 USD. It was actually about $1000 AUD here & we were perhaps 10 cents at most behind the American dollar at that point so maybe $900 USD in Australia. I wouldn’t spend that much on a TV or computer, there was certainly no way I’d pay that much for a fucking console.

@20, I thought you’ve been here more than long enough to understand how commenting works on this site. One person says something then that suddenly becomes the topic at hand- look at that 350+ comment that ‘Nintendo milking’ article had. How much of it was actually relevant? Lex had half a dozen posts just to reach the next century & even that had a few responses.

22. Da Man

Fact number one: Sony (as Yoshida gracefully pointed out) thought DS was crap. No two ways about that.

Fact number two: Sony dropped DS, refusing to publish it anywhere outside of JP.

Sony did publish numerous videogames, both well received and not, not hesitating to help Genji reach customers over the Atlantic.

Which brings me to my original point: there’s nothing in Sony publishing history suggesting ‘Remember me’ is crap.

23. OrbitMonkey

@19, So they did drop everywhere… Except Japan… So they almost dropped it everywhere… Keyword being almost.

24. Christopher Jack

One) No one ever argued that.

Two) No one ever argued that.

25. Da Man

#23, that would be relevant if they didn’t drop it, which they did.

Unfortunately, keyword being ‘drop’.

26. OrbitMonkey

^ How is it not relevant? They didn’t drop it in Japan. Third parties stepped in, the rest is history.

I mean you could just stop trying to use it as a opportunity to bash Sony and Japan, but I guess you’d find that almost impossible. Keyword being almost.

27. lexph3re

@Christopher lol ahhh good times… good times….

28. Da Man

I’ll tell you as to why it’s not relevant. DS being released in JP was down to the content being a collaborative effort between From Software and Sony Japan, they dropped the title. If it wasn’t for kind folks at Namco and Atlus who happen to see hidden gems where Sony can’t, you would’ve never heard about it.

Please do keep telling yourself anyone who doesn’t have any delusions about Sony being a soulless cash cow seeking corpration is japanophobe and ‘xbot’. Almost mature of you. Keyword almost. I’ll keep on playing Bayonettas and having fond memories of Syphon Filter.

29. Gadzooks!

DaMan, Orbit, you are both right even if you are only arguing semantics Orbit. ;)

Sony didnt drop DS in Japan, whether that was ‘almost’ or not is irrelevant. It was a fairly risky proposition to be fair. Insane learning curve and a quirky online system, it was no guaranteed seller. They did a good thing by getting it to market at all.

Sony did drop it outside Japan though, and they missed the sequel. That’s fairly poor judgement.

30. Da Man

Aw, GZ.

And heartless internet people call him a fanboy :(

31. OrbitMonkey

@29, Guilty as charged ;-) Da Man is very funny to watch when he starts his little rants. Especially when he starts throwing around the mature card…

32. ManuOtaku

#30 I did almost Cry :)
    #29 agree, such wasted energy over semantics, thankfully Da Man didnt bite the bate like Orbit Wanted ;)
    p.s : or did i spoke to soon?

33. Ireland Michael

@21 I figured the whole argument being made by some people was that Sony somehow has a stranglehold on quality, that Demon Souls was an example of this proof of quality, and that Sony not holding onto Remember Me was some sort of guaranteed sign that this couldn’t possibly be a good game.

I guess I gave people too much credit for consistent discussion. Oh well.

34. Da Man

I’m not as funny as Orbit Monkey in his little defensive purchase ramblings.

35. OrbitMonkey

^ Well no your not. You take yourself far seriously ;-)

36. Da Man

It must be me failing to convey the tone properly then.

At least I do know you have to >cancel< content you were developing as opposed to dropping it.. (Doesn't mean you can't drop a sequel you had nothing to do with)

37. OrbitMonkey

^ ok Ahab, you go get that whale :-P

38. Malmer

This game. I need it!

39. lexph3re

Odd, no one gave the thoughts that maybe Sony abandoned it not based on Quality but in terms of financial strain. A lot of people forget financial Sony isn’t that unsinkable ship people think they are and sometimes cut backs are solely based off of preserving financial quota for that division.

I remember reading the devs saying that they have a great relationship with Sony and there isn’t any soar feelings behind being cut. Buuuttt, I forget people want to talk about their own theories… Sorta like what I just did O.o

40. Ali

Not saying this has got something to do with Sony dropping the game, but I don’t remember the last game Sony published that uses an outdoor Engine, like Unreal and the rest…

And I agree with #39 , no matter how hard they have been working, they have seen a totally much better days!

41. Christopher Jack

@33, That was really only #4. I’d suspect that when someone’s willing to admit that they’re a fan in their name, their opinion no longer matters.