Sleeping Dogs: Square Enix “incredibly supportive” of PC version

Thursday, 23rd August 2012 04:26 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sleeping Dogs bucks the trend by arriving on PC day-and-date with the console release and bringing a full suite of high-end user tools for maximum graphical delight. United Front Games did the work, but thanks publisher Square Enix for greenlighting the extra resources required.

Senior producer Jeff O’Connell told the PA Report that Square Enix was nothing but helpful with regards to the PC version.

“Very early on in development, we wanted to create a PC-specific version. We always had that planned. When the game changed hands from Activision to Square Enix, Square was incredibly supportive of the PC version and actually wanted us to do more with it,” he said.

“It was at that point that we began to focus more resources on the PC version and it became what it is.”

United Front Games actually split off a small group of developers to work exclusively on the PC version’s added features and graphical oomph.

“We had to have dedicated resources internally in terms of engineering, project management, and UI. We had to have dedicated testing, and we had to draw from our console team in particular in the rendering areas and the oversight of all the tech to make sure the PC version was everything it could be,” O’Connell said.

The developer said some markets, such as Germany, are so PC-centric that he believes the decision made good business sense, even beyond the goodwill it brought the team. Square Enix obviously agreed. nice work all round.

Sleeping Dogs is available now on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

1. DEADEYES

YES! At least they still remember and respect PC gamers! I will buy more SE games from now on due to this “respect”!

2. loki

lol fail anyway

3. Timurse

I played the demo on Xbox yesterday and it seemed surprisingly good. I’ll get this game as soon as it drops to, say, $30 here in Russia (now $60-80 depends on a certain shop).

4. Edo

Yeah,yeah fix the mouse and keyboard controls and then we’ll talk.

5. roadkill

“Sleeping Dogs: Square Enix “incredibly supportive” of PC version” With that animation system? LOL!! Maybe you can feed this c**p to console users but not to us mate, not to us! This game is so bad that I’m not even going to pirate it.

6. Yoshi

Wow so much hate? Only issue I’ve had with it is framerate however might just be my rig getting rather warm when I play this XD… I really should upgrade to a better tower with nicer cooling.

7. NeoSquall

I have received this game yesterday and, although I’ve only played it on Medium graphical quality because I don’t think that my 2008 system can handle the higher settings (but I’ll try them anyway in the future), it is visually stunning.

Yes, the mouse+keyboard controls are not excellent, but using a controller is fine too, the aiming system is a mild “sticky aim”, so you can always move the crosshair and aim at particular spots like vehicle tires and heads/limbs when necessary.
    In the end, it’s not atrocious like the crybabies above me tried to picture.