Diablo 3 designer apologises for “disrespect” towards franchise creator

Thursday, 23rd August 2012 01:22 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Diablo 3 designer Jay Wilson has issued a public apology for his much-shared Facebook comment responding angrily to criticisms of the action RPG.

“I recently made a comment on Facebook about Dave Brevik. I want to make it clear that I am very sorry for what I said. I have higher expectations for myself than to express my feelings in such a rash way and disrespect a fellow developer like Dave, someone who deserves to be treated with greater respect,” Wilson wrote on the Battle.net forums.

“What I said was expressed out of anger, and in defense of my team and the game. People can say what they want about me, but I don’t take lightly when they disparage the commitment and passion of the Diablo III team.

“Dave is awesome. In Diablo and Diablo II, he made two of the games that have most affected me as a developer. I respect his vision for Diablo, but just like he said in his interview, the Diablo III team must drive a vision for the game that is true to us. We believe in Diablo and have stuck by it through years of hard development to make it a reality.”

Wilson went on to discuss the credentials of the Diablo 3 development team, to defend the game from criticism, and also to promise further development to bring it in line with long-term series fans’ expectations. Hit the link above to read the whole thing; it’s kind of a must for any Diablo tragic.

Last week, Brevik gave an interview in which he criticised some aspects of Diablo 3′s design and mourned the loss of the original development team at the shuttered Blizzard North. Blizzard staffers weren’t exactly pleased by the comments, and in a Facebook post on the subject, Wilson responded with “Fuck that loser”. His comment was hastily deleted but not before news outlets screencapped it.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. DSB

Pretty large apology. I wasn’t really expecting that over a Facebook comment, but it seems like it opened some kind of flood gate.

It still begs the question why those flaws weren’t picked up during development. It seems obvious now. Did they just get zoned in on a bad plan?

Diablo III could’ve been a lot more if they’d dared to change it up and just made more of it. Maybe break the mold and do a decent story.

2. Ali

When glass breaks, it never fully recovers.

3. magnumfinger

I believe even if Brevik and his team were the ones assigned to deliver Diablo 3, they would still up end on a mess since this is year 2012 already, not 2002 where aRPG ruled PC games.

4. TheWulf

I’d be more inclined to buy it if it didn’t sound so sterile, but I’ve seen a hundred apologies from games developers like this in my time – especially the bigger ones, when they make a mistake. This is PR spiel. Blizzard’s marketing saw that this was garnering bad will and worked with Jay to write up a thing for him to post.

If it had sounded like it had come from Jay, then I would have bought it. I might even have had some respect for them. But yeah, this is straight up PR damage control. Nothing more, nothing less. There’s nothing to see, here.

But yeah, this reeks of robotic PR spiel.

“I have higher expectations for myself than to express my feelings in such a rash way [...]”

If he hadn’t worked with someone in PR to help him write this, then… yeah. Well, this is Blizzard. I’m expecting too much, I guess.

So much bullshit. So much PR. And people not having the balls to admit when they were wrong. This apology seems about as legit as Blizzard itself. Which is to say not very. Meh. It’s depressing, to be honest.

5. magnumfinger

IMO, I never really heard of a game developer who made a public apology on a personal blog. Since he represents D3, I believe it’s normal to add some PR-induced lines to his words.

Perhaps, if D3 was an indie game and it was made by 3-4 people, you can blog your apology to Tumbler. But we all know Diablo is one of the biggest game franchise on PC, so it isn’t going to happen.

People needs to wake up and face the reality that all the game developers they idolized needs money. Those who think otherwise needs to wake up.

6. xxJPRACERxx

Come on man, don’t apologize for saying what you really think!

7. Puggy

Aww, that’s cute. Like watching a soap opera and seeing that nice girl kissing a dude who is actually her long lost brother, later adopted by her best friend after sleeping with her aunt. :O

Anyway, this most likely is all about marketing and getting the word about Diablo 3 out, drawing attention and thus players. Everyone believing there are any kind of emotions in the industry, well I am jealous of you bright and positive way of seeing the world. Since in my eyes it is all about success and money, what generally is the same anyway.

8. manamana

Ali has it down. Chapeau!

9. roadkill

Well, I only have one thing to say about Jay: Fuck that loser!

edit: I mean he makes a s**t game, he treats his customers like s**t (granted, most of them are, since they’ve decided to support always-on DRM), he talks s**t to a guy who worked on Diablo 1 and 2 (which were awesome to say the least) and then he apologizes and he thinks everything will be all right and people will love him. What a t**t! Sorry mate, it doesn’t work that way.

10. Joe_Gamer

I like how they started trash talking Hellgate…Which was actually a much better game but never got the support or marketing it deserved. I played the hell out of Hellgate and loved it, I couldn’t have cared less about Diablo 3.

They act high and mighty but the only reason they succeeded at all is because they ARE Blizzard with The reputation and fanbase BUILT by Brevik, put another studios name behind their game, take away EA’s marketing money, and it would have tanked so badly that poor Jay would never work again, and I’d point right at him and say “fuck that loser”.