PS3 is in “prime time,” no price cut coming this year, says Yoshida

Tuesday, 21st August 2012 15:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Shuhei Yoshida believes PS3 is in “prime time,” therefore a price cut is not needed nor expected this year, says Sony’s head of Worldwide Studios.

Speaking with Eurogamer at gamescom, Yoshida said with the bevy of titles coming to the system, it was a “great time” for consumers to purchase console.

“We are very happy with where we are in terms of PS3: the services, games, and the pricing included,” Yoshida said. “So, there’s no plan for any change we can talk about.”

Consumers shouldn’t expect a new PS3 model this year either, Yoshida said rumors of the super-slim PS3-4000 were only that: “a rumor.”

VG247 was told back in July there were no plans for a £99 PS3.

1. deathm00n

That’s what I say to everyone, people talk about new gen, but I’m very happy with my ps3, and seeing games like The Last of Us and Beyond I think sony don’t need a new gen right now, but by the other hand Microsoft… Not that I don’t like Xbox, but you all need to admit it’s getting old, I’ve played Darksider 2 on Xbox and it’s not preety as the footage I’ve seen on PS3.

When I’ve bought my PS3 at the end of last year I was afraid I was getting it at the end of the gen, like I did with PS1, but I’m not afraid anymore, I’m seeing good titles that are coming to PS3.

2. Demigod

I always come in at the end of console gens. The consoles and more importantly the games aren’t massively overpriced anymore. Still playing some great ps2 games. Ill probably get a ps3 when ps4 rolls around end of next year/ start of 14 and pick and chose all the best games :)

3. Gadzooks!

The most technically accomplished game on consoles right now is Witcher 2, by quite a large margin.

It has all the looks of Sonys best, but does so with freedom of camera and not restricting you to a teeny tiny corridor.

PS3 power myth is just that – a myth.

Oh, and almost all multiplat games look and perform better on Xbox.

If PS3 was in its prime then sales wouldn’t be on the decline. Sony are in exactly the same position as MS in that respect.

4. manamana

^ this.

5. The_Red

Saying PS3 isn’t in its prime is true but saying the 360 version of Witcher 2 looks better than PS3 titles is simply a lie. PS3 Power may be a myth but exclusives like Uncharted 3 look way ahead of other console titles.

Also, multiplat titles are actually favoring PS3 these days. I don’t know if you’ve seen a little weekly feature called Digital Foundry on EG. The compare all versions and for the last 2 years, results have been mixed for both systems. PC destroys both versions where its available but that’s it. Of course the tone of your comment is one of obvious Sony hatred so, why did I bother in the first place? (Considering that I don’t care for either one of those 2 stupid console makers)

6. deathm00n

Oh look, a teeny tiny corridor! http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Mv7Fj8EkSnU/T6aq3dGeTEI/AAAAAAAAHHk/WVEwux48e3k/s1600/_uncharted3+yemen+awesome.jpg

They LOOKED better in Xbox, now a days I’m seeing the opposite to this

7. BlockheadBrown

Much has been written to dismiss the Xbox 360′s graphic prowess claims above. Software needs to be written to take advantage of its hardware. Sloppy ports will not perform as well. Keep in mind that this doesn’t mean what the Xbox 360 is capable of is *bad*.

Apples to apples comparisons can be difficult. The Dragon’s Dogma Demo does a decent job of showing what each system is capable of doing. Better textures and more affects can be seen with the burning embers in the beginning of the PS3 version of the demo. There are not as many effects on the 360 version. Granted, this is only one example. However, it is one that can be tested readily by those who are lucky enough to have both systems.

Best to all.

8. DrDamn

If both 360 and PS3 want to seriously grow they both need to get prices down to < £150 for a HDD system. Not a cut down Arcade or 16Gb system, a system with a decent HDD included. The real strength of both systems is in the XBLA/PSN/PS+ area and that needs storage.

9. KrazyKraut

In after fanboy war started

10. SlayerGT

Ps3 is in its prime. If you haven’t and want to, now’s a great time to buy one. Or wait for the inevitable redesign/price drop. Probly around the launch of The Last of Us :)

11. Kabby

Seasoned gamers have all the consoles anyway. Only morons and children argue over which is best.

12. Dragon246

Xbots commenting on graphics of ps3 exclusives, nice lol.

13. Clupula

There really is no better console at this moment and time than the PS3, however, I disagree that a price cut is not needed. This is the beginning of the end of this generation and most people already own, at least, one system. I know many people who only own 360′s who see stuff like Ninokuni (especially women) and Beyond Two Souls and want to buy a PS3, but tell me they don’t want to spend $250 when they already have a console. Every single one of them have told me that when Sony lower the price a bit, they’ll be buying a PS3 as a second or, if they own a Wii, third system.

If Sony were to cut the price right now, they could clean up.

14. Gadzooks!

#12

Ex-PS3 owner who has played the best the platform had to offer, found it to be hugely underwhelming, and now knows from first hand experience which platform is technically superior.

Hint: It’s not the one flooded with semi-interactive movies or narrow corridor yawnfests. The limitations in these games are glaring. Freedom is so restricted, but I suppose the dullard daytime TV generation are happy enough having that brainless shit piped into the empty spaces in thier heads.

15. PEYJ

I don’t see any of the quotes stating that the price cut won’t come this year. And that he calls the superslim for a rumor is not exactly a rejection of their existence. Besides, if a 250GB and 500GB replaces the 160GB and the 320GB incl. the price and a 16GB appears, that is not exactly a price cut.

I’m quite sure the superslim will appear this year, probably by TGS or during mid-october.

16. Dragon246

So you admit you are an Xbot, lol again :)
    At least ps3 has more diversity than xbox and 360 combined, where the only games available is 213131th version of halo and gow. You are welcome to play multiplayer with other teenage twats paying 60$ every year whereas I enjoy Dust 514 with ps3 and pc community free.
    Sucks to be you.

17. Gadzooks!

#16

You dont get to play online as your low grade budget online system is always down.

18. Clupula

@17 – yeah, that’s totally not a fanboy exaggeration.

19. manamana

@Dragon totally makes you a preystation fanboy

20. ps3fanboy

i got a console and i am not interested in a new one. even if the prices get cut on the zhitbox with its pay2play or none hd kiddiewii. i already got the best out there the ps3.

21. Dragon246

@18,
    Well not always. Only sun, mon, tues, …. yeah not always.

@19,
    Why “preystation” ?

and @17,
    Good luck with the ads that ms sticks on their consumers ass even when they pay for their service.
    PSN isn’t remotely as bad as you say, but probably a shade lower than xbl. Although playing online is as fun as on xbl.
    Dust beats all.

22. manamana

@20 At least you picked the right name …

23. OlderGamer

Bah both my PS3 and xb360 collect a lot of dust these days(Wii too). PC gets the love.

24. Clupula

@21 – eh? I’m not sure I understand your response to me, as I’m not the one who said the PSN is always down.

@19 – I also don’t understand the “Preystation” name? Does the system hunt rabbits or something, when it’s not being played?

25. BlockheadBrown

@24 Maybe the poster meant “Praystation”? Pray it’ll work. Pray the PS3 version will be as good as the Xbox 360 version, etc..

26. Clupula

@25 – can I borrow the time machine you use to get your jokes? I’d like to be able to revisit 2007 too, sometimes.

27. BlockheadBrown

@26 – I’m not making any. I was guessing the meaning of #19′s “preystation” comment.

28. monkeygourmet

Of course Sony will have to charge more for PSN next gen, you do know that don’t you?!

The only reason it was free for so long was because the PS3 cost an arm and a leg at launch. You try to convince people to fork out 500 quid AND pay for online! Wasn’t going to happen, but it certainly wasn’t because Sony was giving gamers something back

Now, hello PSN plus, next gen that will be mandatory…

Nice free games as long as you keep your subscription…

Xbox live is the best service by a country mile, more expensive but you get what you pay for!

Have fun next gen when PSN is full of Ads too by the way, you know it’s only a matter of time! :)

29. Clupula

@28 – Hey, what you doing posting here when you’ve got a job to do? Miyamoto’s dick isn’t going to suck itself!

30. monkeygourmet

Actually, i shouldn’t have said that.

It’s good Sony not charging for online;

Considering most people purchasing one on launch had to get one from Brighthouse or some other Higher Purchase store, it would have been unfair to charge them another monthely subscription.

31. Sadismek

@28 Seriously man, I generally enjoyed reading your threads and posts, but this anti-Playstation rage is really putting me off. You make everything look shiny for MS and black for PS. Not cool.

32. monkeygourmet

Sorry you feel that, rest assured I enjoy all consoles. You have to understand I have a huge dislike for how Sony has marketed the Playstation brand and towards the people that actually defend the consoles from this point.

If I’m honest I like alot of the games though, I’m working my way through Yakuza 4 at the moment and going to attempt a MGS 4 play through (although I have yet to get used to the controls).

Can’t wait for god of war and last of us. Ill address the balance:

Microsoft using adverts in Xbox live: that is pure cancer, others will follow suit and I hate them for making this a feature of gaming.

Also, you have no new IPs!!! Better be working on them for 720.

I hate them relying on exclusive DLC too, that’s a shitty cock block if ever I saw one!

Nintendo:

Selling out of date hardware is okay to a point, but sometimes you take the piss!

Your online seriously sucks balls right now, needs a HUGE revamp…

Same as MS with Ip’s, need more than Mario although has more quality in the back burner than MS…

This is roughly how I feel, I hope that has balanced things out more! :)

33. Dragon246

@Monkey,
    Changing the battlefield huh? I am still waiting for your response on the other article.
    PS Plus is awesome. Tell me any other service that provides you a mix of latest indie and AAA titles for free?
    @31,
    Thats xbots for you. Paying 60$ for something that should be free but still defending it instead of telling ms to get it free.
    @29,
    LOL hahahahaha….
    Best comment of the day!

34. Froseidon

@31 – Don’t worry, that comes around, PS ‘fanboys’ rage against Xbox as well. I’m sick of it all to be honest. Its just petty.

Both consoles have their +ves and -ves and none of them are certainly “in their prime time”. That is a stupid comment to make from any company on their current consoles. This Gen. has been going on a tad too long now.

To settle the “XBL or PSN” argument:
    PSN is free, you ‘paid’ for online in the massive price tag the console had begun with, but it was one off. Paying for XBL every year would have cost more than to buy that one off PS3, but it is not as noticeable. However, that means barely any money gets recycled back into improvements, hence the poor security that lead to PS3 getting hacked some time ago.

XBL is paid, so there is an instant drawback. The cost soon ramps up. I have been a paying member of XBL for 4 years now and that has cost me £120 there or about. That is £370 overall (£250 for console – I now have the new console and will use that price). Currently not as highly priced as the PS3 was on launch but comparing it to current PS3 price (which I will put at £250), you’ll have paid more for Xbox than PS3. However, this money goes back into improving XBL, hence good security (if only the stupidity of some people who fell for the ‘free MS points’ – Goes to show the stupidity of some people).

Either way you look at it, you get what you pay for. PS3 is best for those that don’t wish to be tied down by subscription whereas in the long run, Xbox is more expensive if using XBL. The added PS+ is a nice option for PS3 but having to keep the subscription is its downfall in my eyes. If they changed that to keep forever (despite canceling sub) then it would be great. Maybe next-gen will have that sorted on all consoles.

35. monkeygourmet

Don’t be sad about your purchase, they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Just try and put yourself in a financial position where you don’t have to choose one side or the other.

36. bakagami

#35

I can understand you being upset with Sony and some of their backwards policies, I think Sony needs to pull their head out of their a** too. But as for those of us who defend Sony, what do you really expect? Xbox fan boys are constantly implying that we wasted out money and that somehow we should be embarrassed about our choice. I have nothing against MS or Nintendo gamers, more power to them IMO but if they wont extend that same courtesy to me then they shouldn’t complain if I return fire.

#34
    Microsoft has been hacked on occasion too, they just don’t tell you about it. I worked as an IT pro for many years & I can tell you this for a fact, Microsoft isn’t in the habit of admitting to their shortcomings. Look how long it took them to admit that the RROD was a design flaw.
    google XBLA hacked account and see just how many hits you get, only difference is that Sony made an announcement & took PSN offline (at a huge financial loss) to fix the problem

37. ps3fanboy

TREY 4 LIFE!

38. Froseidon

@36 – I admit, it may have happened a few times, but as far as I recall it was very minor and they told people to change their passwords etc.

39. OlderGamer

Froseidon, I feel the same way about paying for LIVE(esp now that I play online less)(and it has paid adds). Sadly I am riding out my membership right now, been a paying member(NA/US) from the first month on Xbox one. Thats what 7, 8 or 9years? I don’t even recall how long, but that is a ton of cash spent in total.

40. bakagami

#38

Major or minor, you’ll never see MS take responsibility for it. That’s not their way. What they do is release a generically labeled security patch, implying that they are merely reinforcing the network rather than addressing a vulnerability. They would never do what Sony did because that would call in to question the security of all MS products and also would force them to stop charging for the service and that would be completely out of the question.

That is the difference between MS & Sony in my opinion. Sony is arrogant, but MS is dishonest

~edit: BTW, what is your definition of minor? As far as anyone has said, not one PSN user has lost any money over the PSN hack. Here’s what happens to XBLA hack victims: http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-live-account-hacked-microsoft-is-there-to-not-help–219144.phtml

41. SlayerGT

@34 I don’t believe you know what “prime time” means. If there’s anything to be said about Shuhei’s comment, its that he’s stating the obvious. They don’t need to cut the price.