EA to publishers: ‘Don’t be afraid of change’

Tuesday, 21st August 2012 12:42 GMT By Dave Cook

EA’s Patrick Soderlund has revealed to CVG that publishers need to deliver consistent quality over existing and new formats or they risk becoming irrelevant, as well embracing new ideas in the industry.

When asked about EA’s approach to expanding its portfolio through mobile apps and ports, head of EA games label Soderlund replied, “We need to go back to the essence of these games and go from there to see how they fit beyond console and PC.”

“The idea of making a Need for Speed port on the iPhone, I just don’t agree with it. What’s the point? You have to play to the strengths of the platform that you’re using,” Soderlund added.

On the subject of adapting to change, Soderlund told CVG, “I look at it as evolution. Looking back five years and looking at today, there is such a vast difference to how I consume entertainment and how I connect with people.”

“We just have to embrace these changes rather than be afraid of them”, Soderlund concluded, “I think some people are so surprised by the changes that are happening that they become afraid of it. They try to stick to what they know and that’s the danger. If you don’t adapt you become irrelevant. I absolutely believe that’s the case.”

1. AHA-Lambda

“The idea of making a Need for Speed port on the iPhone, I just don’t agree with it. What’s the point?”

So why is there a NfS game on iOS then?

2. KAP

KAP to EA: “Thats rich”

3. Old MacDonald

Strange. I look back five years, and there’s almost no difference. I don’t play much on handheld platforms/mobile any more, I don’t play as much multiplayer, but for the most part everything is pretty much the same.

I guess I’m not relevant to people like him any more.

4. MidlifeAxe

Is that why they keep making MoH and Battlefield? Not much change there.

5. DSB

“We haven’t for the better part of 30 years, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t!”

6. hives

Wait… wait… EA? These guys who are releasing another NFS this year? Another modern shooter this year? And another NFS and another modern shooter next year…? “Don’t be afraid of change”, lol.

7. DSB

@6 Don’t forget the annualized sports games and licenses that they’ve been milking for the last 24 years :P

8. AHA-Lambda

@6 – at least 3 modern shooters next year actually XD

Army of Two 3
    Crysis 3
    Battlefield 4
    Respawn?

9. manamana

Soderlund obviously isn’t involved in his business.

10. Aimless

I see many of you have foregone reading past the paraphrased headline in order to take an entirely irrelevant jab at EA. Well done.

11. Mineral4r7s

Last part sounds like a bad movie.

Or a quote from Brave New World

12. manamana

@10 Oh come on — the headline begged for it!

13. manamana

And he can shovel his social games on iOS/Android up his social ass!