Diablo 3 to expand end-game content with 100 level Paragon system

Tuesday, 21st August 2012 01:19 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Diablo 3 veterans who have hit the RPG’s 60-level cap will be rewarded with a variety of further challenges when a Paragon system is introduced with patch 1.0.4.

As detailed on the Diablo 3 blog, the Paragon system adds 100 extra levels on top of the existing 60 character level system. Any experience a veteran player earns after maxing out their character will be funnelled into their Paragon progress.

There are 100 Paragon levels to achieve, and each brings increases to core stats, magic find and gold find. For bragging rights, a coloured border will appear on your character profile, evolving as you progress to advertise your increasing status.

Blizzard estimates it should take players about as long to earn a Paragon level as it did to go from level 59 to 60, with requirements to increase from there. Hitting the top tier of Paragon levels should take the same time and dedication as hitting level 99 in DIablo 2, the developer believes.Happily, Nephalem Valor will provide a 15% experience bonus per stack for Paragon levels.

The new system will hopefully take some of the futile sting out of a play session which doesn’t turn up a new and interesting bit of equipment. “We know that a lot of you out there are level 60 – maybe on multiple characters – and this system provides a way to make progress every time you log in to the game,” Blizzard said.

Diablo 3 has been criticised by fans for its lack of end-game content; original franchise creator David Brevik expressed his disappointment in some of the game’s design decisions. Blizzard has been quite frank in acknowledging the criticism and working to address it. Patch 1.0.4 is expected at the end of the month.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

I’m not having a go here, but I think that this lays bare the intrinsic skinner box nature of the game a little too explicitly… You wantz more levelz, okay hr iz lvl 100!

2. Patrick Garratt

Argh. And chance of some actual content?

3. Hcw87

There are lots of changes in the patch, it’ll release today in the US and tomorrow in the EU. Doubt we’ll see content before an expansion though, but atleast we have something more to play for now. I don’t see how this is different than D2 was, all it was back then was farming for items just like we’re doing now.

4. Patrick Garratt

I’m not sure this is enough to make me log back in, to be honest.

5. TheWulf

I’ve laid out why it’s different many times. This post is a fair example, I feel. It’s just a skinner box. The original Diablo games weren’t, because the gear was never a linear upgrade path. But I’ll go a little further and try and refine my points made in that post.

I really hate saying this, but… it makes me wonder if people who don’t see the difference between Diablo II and III even played III. It’s like asking what the differences are between Diablo II and WoW. The supposed third game in the series has a pristinely linear gear upgrade curve. Diablo II did not.

What makes them different? Diablo II has what’s known as sidegrades, and you had the chance of finding really good gear early on. Now, before I continue, let me explain sidegrades. A sidegrade is where you will have two weapons which are both equally good, but where they do different things.

Two things happen in Diablo II that don’t in Diablo III:

- “Holy hell! This weapon is so good that I might not replace it for days! What a find!”

- “Gah. I can’t decide between this axe that does crits and ice damage, or this hammer that has high damage and stuns.”

See, in Diablo III, every item is a tiny upgrade of the last. All you do is check whether the numbers are a little better, then you swap them over. Just like in WoW, essentially. Without sidegrades and random super-upgrades, the fun of discovering a really good/weird item is removed. It’s no longer a gamble because you know what you’re going to get is a direct, tiny upgrade.

As I said, it’s a pristinely linear upgrade path.

Even the original Torchlight had sidegrades and random super-upgrades. But that’s because a lot of the people who actually made Diablo I & II what it was are now working at Runic Games, the developer of Torchlight (and II). They’re one and the same. The people Blizz put to work on Diablo III were new faces and WoW vets. So what did they do? Skinnerbox. It’s all they know how to do.

Also, you could do really weird things with specialisations in Diablo II. Like a Barbarian specialised into throwing, which was just a silly thing to do and a fun way to nerf yourself and create a truly bizarre character that no one would have expected. But you can’t do that in Diablo III, because characters are very linear and directly laid out in Diablo III. At the end of the game, all characters of the same class are exactly the same, barring some purely cosmetic differences.

So what makes Diablo II so incredibly different than Diablo III? It wasn’t completely linear, there was always a sense of discovery. As such, Diablo I & II invited further replays to see different sidegrades, and to see what other things you could do with your favourite class. Yet one playthrough of Diablo III shows you everything the game has to offer.

Diablo III has zero replay value. People farmed in Diablo II because of sidegrades and surprise upgrades. People farm in Diablo III because they need to for the next tier of items for the next tier of content.

One is fun. The other isn’t.

6. Fin

I’ve played both extensively and Diablo III’s a lot better than Diablo II.

7. viralshag

@5, you never bought the game so when did you actually play enough of it to make your analysis? I’m not even disagreeing that much but I think it’s rich to say “it makes me wonder if people who don’t see the difference between Diablo II and III even played III.”

Unless that’s a typo and should say II at the end.

8. roadkill

LOL! Blizzard to release additional content for free? You’d have to be pretty dumb to expect something like that.

9. silkvg247

If Inferno is still shit and frustrating (as opposed to challenging) then I have no desire to return to the game.

10. johnpearse

Diablo 3 Billionaire is the most efficient way to farm without getting banned or getting your account Hacked. Check out the review at Top Dogg Reviews . com