Diablo 3 dev responds to Brevik’s criticisms: “F**k that loser!”

Tuesday, 21st August 2012 09:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Diablo 3 game director has responded to criticisms of the game made by Diablo 2 developer David Brevik on Facebook, unleashing a torrent of similar abuse.

Brevik was interviewed by IncGamers recently for his thoughts on Diablo 3 and how it compared to his work on Diablo 2.

Brevik explained, “Honestly, I think that they did a lot of the things the best they could, it was a very different game than I would have created, the team and personalities, the people, the talent and all the design philosophies of the people that worked on it in Irvine, we called them Blizzard South, those people have their own style and the their own way they like to design. It was very, very different from the Blizzard North.”

Check out our full coverage on Brevik’s interview here.

Brevik’s thoughts didn’t sit well with Diablo 3′s Jay Wilson who took to Facebook in response to Brevik’s opinion by simply stating, “F**k that loser!” followed by similar responses from other Diablo 3 fans.

Thanks Strategy Informer.

1. Edo

Classy,really classy,it says a a lot not only about the developers but the game itself,this made me laugh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXltcnOMCY :D .

2. BULArmy

Lol I liked Jay, but after that my respect for him dropped significantly.
    Everybody must respect what others think and even more somebody in Jay’s position where exposure to what he say is greater them many others.
    @1That was hilarious, but I spent a lot of time on D2 and I think bashing D3 so much is unfair.

3. Mr-Brett

Wow, I kinda expected a bit more professionalism from a Game Director.

4. OrbitMonkey

Lol, now we get to read forum posts about how devs should be all respectful of other people’s opinions. Fucking hilarious, when you can find 100+ post threads full of guys shitting on each other for liking different consoles :-)

Pro-tip, work on something for a couple of years, release it, then see how you react if one of your peers gets a bit snotty.

5. xxJPRACERxx

I like this guy, he’s not afraid of saying what he think!

6. roadkill

Come on! Come on! Were you expecting anything better from Blizzard? Really now!

7. freedoms_stain

@5, so not afraid of saying what he thinks he had the comment deleted. Yup.

Anyhoo, it was an immature reaction. What does it say about Jay Wilson if his response to peer criticism is to start hurling insults?

8. Deacon

Brevik was pretty reserved in his comments. This Jay Wilson bloke has made himself look an idiot. Someone in his position shouldn’t run his mouth off in such a way.

9. xxJPRACERxx

@7 Yeah I know, we now live in a world full of pussies that want to control it. In a couple of years this will be like in Demolition Man, you say “shit” and you receive a fine.

10. Beta

The next Shakespeare he is not.. ;P

Seriously though, I’d be annoyed if I were him, but a bit of professionalism Jay.

11. Stardog

They showed their idiocy after the criticism of the visuals years ago.

It must be like some frathouse in there. No wonder it takes them so long to make their games. It’s probably incompetence and not them striving to make it the best it can be.

12. bitsnark

Screw that lark.

I’ll never master the three sea shells :)

13. Mr-Brett

@4 I have worked on projects for years and then had people shit on them, I react in a reasonable way because I’m not a child and I don’t see how lowering yourself to the level of fanboy wars is a good thing.

14. GwynbleiddiuM

@13 Your argument is invalid. Different people react differently in situations like that. I’d have said the same thing, when someone who drove Flagship Studios to shit made a comment about the game I made and it sold more copies than Brevik has hairs on his head. Let’s count Brevik’s accomplishments after Diablo. Hellgate London, a poorly designed game that failed miserably, Mythos, that never saw the light of day back when it was being developed by Flagship, and led Flagship Studios to ruin. Well, Fuck that loser..

15. DSB

Since when do you have to be professional on Facebook though? It’s not like he was using a corporate account.

16. NeoSquall

Oh wow, you really are flacking Wilson because he said “Fuck that loser!” to a psychotical mass murderer?

Are you all serious?

17. DSB

Hey now, the only thing Brevik ever killed was his own studio.

Badam tssssch.

18. Sini

How is Wilson not fired I’ll never understand, one only has to go to official d3 forums on battle net and see how almost all are pissed at him. Or any other forums discussing diablo 3. Take Metzen with him, plot/dialog was just terrible, but I think he has too much seniority in the company so they gotta promote him up till he can’t do anything.

19. roadkill

@18 Because NEWSFLASH!! Blizzard doesn’t care about their customers, they only care about their money. Which they already have so..

20. OrbitMonkey

@15+1. It must be odd to have legions of hypocritical dweebs ready to pounce on your every muttering and judge you on standards they could never meet… All because they feel a little used for buying the game you made and found it wasn’t the perfect gem they envisioned in their insipid little fantasies.

21. GwynbleiddiuM

@19 How in the fraking world this became a customer issue? A man told another to go fuck himself? Why in the world he should be fired for it?

22. abbe

@16, Neosquall: Its Brevik, not Breivik, completely different people.

23. DSB

@21 Actually he didn’t. As far as I know there’s been no contact between him and Brevik. He was backing one of his developers, and defending his work.

Whatever you think of Blizzard and Diablo 3, that’s hardly offensive. I’m pretty sure we’ve all done that.

When Ben Kuchera critisized VG247, it triggered a snarky little Twitter exchange too:

I don’t see it as the headline anywhere. It’s just people defending their work.

24. Talkar

No of course Blizzard doesn’t care about their customers. If they did they would have a community team communicating with said community, and they would host various events and tournaments for their communites. They would most likely also patch their games. Oh wait, they do all that.

25. NeoSquall

@22 Oh shi-

I must be cross-eyed today…

26. GwynbleiddiuM

@23 I know, I meant indirectly, on his colleague’s facebook page. :P

27. TheWulf

I know there’s a word for this, and it goes beyond being merely symbolic and representative. I forget what it is, but that’s what this is. The Blizzard North people, now at Runic Games, ArenaNet, and Gazillion, were always far, far too mature to be Blizzard.

This is almost like a gnostic representation, it’s totemic. It makes vividly absolute the kind of childish bullshit that Blizzard has always been responsible for, the wee minds they appeal to, and their overall base anti-intellectuality. Consider: Brevik makes an honest, not insulting statement about how he feels about the Diablo III debacle, and Blizzard’s response is technically a schoolyard call of neener neener neener!

Jay’s attitude is the truly the condensed quintessence of Blizzard. This is what they’re saying whenever anyone makes an intelligent point against one (or all) of their games. If you’ve ever wondered why I don’t like Blizzard and don’t buy Blizzard products, this is why. They have no respect, none for their opponents or their consumers, the only thing they respect is how much money they can milk out of any given audience.

Still, fuck you, we have money is a statement a responsible, grown-up developer would never make. And this is the response they’d always be making whenever they weren’t hiding behind their public relations department.

And this is often the kind of mentality I find Blizzard fans having, too. Like developer, like fan.

I don’t normally like schadenfreude because I feel it’s unethical and most of the time I tend to avoid it, even speak out against it. I think it’s hurtful. But in the case of Blizzard? I’ll make an exception because they’ve brought all this on themselves.

28. TheWulf

Way to pull a Jay, man. Way to pull a Jay. I’d clap half-heartedly, but instead I’m too depressed at how predictable that was.

29. TheWulf

I see that the Blizzard Defence Force is going from strength to strength with misinformation. I’d suggest reading up a little on Flagship Studios. It wasn’t Brevik that drove it into the ground, it was Bill Roper. But hey, don’t let a little thing like reality get in the way of your zealous rants, eh?

Sigh. Listening to angry Blizzard fans is like listening to Creationists, sometimes. They both seem to love leaving out very important facts whenever they make an argument. And often, they’re not even sure about the very argument they’re making.

Like I said: Like developer, like fan.

Good job. Good job.

Stay classy, Blizzard and Blizzard’s fans.

30. viralshag

Ah yes, judging the mentality of an entire company and its fans based on some Twitter posts. Classic.

31. OrbitMonkey

Dev reacts passionately towards criticism, TheWulf disapproves. Bit hypocritical tbh.

32. deathm00n

So it goes like this?
    Brevik: Hey blizzard, I think your game could have been better.
    Wilson: Fuck you!

Well, that escalated quickly.

Imagine if you say to him you don’t like him
    Me:Hey, sorry to say, but I don’t think you are a good person.
    Brevik: OMG, HOW DARE YOU DEFY THE GOD WHO MADE DIABLO 3 YOU MOTHE*****ER!

33. GwynbleiddiuM

@29 That doesn’t change anything, He was a co-founder of Flagship Studios and yet let everything happen under his nose. And he’s also responsible for a disaster named Hellgate: London. Going from Diablo and Diablo 2 to Hellgate really shows what an important role he played in creating those games. It would be of course nothing significant.

And btw, I can’t recall a more close-minded fanatic than yourself, of course with the exception of back_up, the only difference between you two is that he didn’t have to write an article to bubble bullshit.

34. GwynbleiddiuM

@32 Well, to me it seems that you don’t have a fraking clue do you?

35. DSB

@28 David Brevik was is listed as both the “game visionary” and lead programmer of Hellgate London, so I think it’s safe to say he played some kind of part in the studios demise.

Not that you should let something as mundane as facts get in the way of your delightful, borderline psychotic rants.

Eric Schaefer was project lead on Hellgate London, but Brevik held all of those roles, aside from being co-founder, co-owner and Chief Visionary Officer of Flagship Studios.

@31 Well, he also used the words “zealous rants” without ever looking at the one he just authored himself, in the previous post :P

I can’t think of anyone being responsible for more consistent bootlicking or jihad. The guy makes TEA look like Ghandi.

36. deathm00n

@33 Oh yeah, offended a blizzard fanboy with my post, my day is made! You should take a class to learn what a hyperbole is.

37. GwynbleiddiuM

@35 Offended? nah, your ignorance about the matter is hardly offensive, and it discredits your own comment. Even rhetorically speaking Jay Wilson didn’t directly said that to Brevik. He said that on his colleague’s facebook page to comfort his obvious distraught.

38. Talkar

You’ve actually read what wulf writes? Most of the time i can’t be bothered. Kudos sir!

39. edwardh

How appropriate. I actually meant to comment on the original article but… morons don’t get it anyway, the rest already knows.

However, I do have to say something about this incident most people who don’t work in the creative industry aren’t aware of. It’s kind of a dirty little secret… at least the somewhat more cultivated people among you may think that there are more or less “decent” people working at such companies. You would think, wouldn’t you? Many with university level education, working on artistic or geeky things. You would think they possess at least a bit of sophistication.
    Nope. Not at all. Most people working in the creative industry (at least these days) are basically the brick layers of the 21st century. Besides the fact that they are usually underpaid and exploited, they are also quite often racist, sexist and otherwise fairly primitive people. As such, they represent the average gamer pretty well. And if you think that that’s a mischaracterization… read more comments on e.g. CVG, youtube and try talking to strangers on XBL.
    And this guy is obviously a shining example of one of those many douchebags that probably make up about 90% of the industry by now who just happened to have gotten into a higher position. Because – in this business, you can be as primitive as you want, as long as you like to paaaaarty! (Unfortunately, I’m not kidding. I dare you to find a field where social connections are more important than the creative industry. And if you work in the field and are offended by any of this, it only shows that you obviously belong to those 90%)