Diablo 3 – Blizzard “to be looking at” difficulty options post update 1.0.4

Tuesday, 21st August 2012 14:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Diablo 3 game director Jay Wilson has said after update 1.0.4 releases for the RPG, the development team is “going to be looking at” the game’s difficulty options.

Speaking with IGN at gamescom, Wilson assured the issue regarding degrees of difficulty will be addressed, just not with update 1.0.4.

“The basic issue I think we have with difficulty is that we’ve got some players [who] want a super difficult game and some players who don’t view Diablo like that,” said Wilson. “They think Diablo is much more of a farming game and…about the player feeling awesome. And the problem is they’re both right.

“One of the biggest problems of the game right now is we don’t address the issues separately for both groups…We’ve touched difficulty,and we’ve really pushed it more towards it’s going to be a bit easier because we’ve gotten way more feedback that the game’s too hard than we’ve gotten that it’s fine.

“That being said, moving forward that’s one of the things we’re going to be looking at next…How can we address it for both players?”

Wilson said the main goal is “everybody should be able to have fun,” and the team will go about this by gathering as much information from all sets of players as possible – not just the ones with the proverbial bullhorn.

“It’s important that you listen to your forum community, but it’s also important that you recognize they’re not the entire audience,” said Wilson, adding that decisions about “what’s right for the game,” are made only after “a lot of listening and talking.”

Diablo 3 update 1.0.4 is expected sometime this afternoon. Look over the changelog here.

1. Mineral4r7s

I read what they write…. But all I can think of is this:

2. Takeshi

“We’ve touched difficulty, and we’ve really pushed it more towards it’s going to be a bit easier because we’ve gotten way more feedback that the game’s too hard than we’ve gotten that it’s fine.”

Lol, the people who thought the game was fine being harder are probably the same people just playing instead of voicing their opinion.

Sadly it is the dog that barks the loudest that gets listened to. I’m having a really tough time making it through Normal to the more enjoyable difficulty levels. In the mean time I have games I would enjoy more playing than D3 just to get to Hell.

3. Fin

Scumbag gamer:

Complains games are too easy.
    Complains games are unfair when made harder.

If you’re having a tough time getting through Normal (which should still be fun), go to the auction house + buy stuff for you character with high vitality + primary attribute. Should make it easier :)

4. Judicas

Funnily enough I died 4-5 dies clearing normal, once on nightmare, zero times on hell, then a bunch on inferno. Alot of the game difficulty comes down to just learning how to play and gearing up. I’m sad I’ll never get to clear the original inferno difficulty though.

5. silkvg247

@4 Don’t be sad, I almost broke a rather expensive mouse trying to get my fully geared wiz thru vanilla inferno.

6. OlderGamer

I love this game. Keep that in mind. And I think it is too goddamn hard. Plan as.

I play with a small group of friends and family, 2/3rds of them have stopped playing. Those that have say it so hard it isn’t fun. I have gotten to the end of Nitemare myself. I can’t complete it yet. I have bought a full set of greens for my Wiz. And I still can’t do it.

Here is why:

Esp as a single player experience, the classes aren’t balanced. Because of the limited action bar skill slots I don’t have an array of skills at the ready. Look at Titan Quest:IT More choices are better.

I think the dificulty is easy to fix. Remove the Cool Down for Pots. That goes a long long ways to improving survivability.

Most of the time when I die, it is because the game screen is so crowded with baddies that I can’t find a clear space to click to move, and something like a poison or molten pool is under my feet.

That doesn’t leave me with a sense of the game being hard as much as it does the game being cheap. the funny part is that if the game was playable on a twin stick gamepad, that wouldn’t even be an issue at all.

I know a lot of folks that read and post here fancy themself hardcore gamers and think that a game should be hard. But you gotta understand that you guys are in the minority. And your money doesn’t have any more value then someone elses(less colectivly). My view on a game is that I paid for it, I want to be able to experience all of the content.

I think the key here is making dificulty an option. Hardcore mode shouldn’t be a toon limited to just one death. Hardcore mode should be a hard version of the game(maybe slighty harder then what it currently is). But in todays game world your going to miss out on sales and piss a lot of your buyers off if your game is too tuff.

7. Talkar

You can’t simply solve the difficulty by removing the cooldown on potions. if you did that a player could just buy a bunch of potions and just spam heal himself all the time, which would then remove the purpose of having more than one difficulty setting since it is only if an enemy could onehit you they would have a chance of killing you. While i do agree with you that you should be allowed to experience all the content since you’ve paid for the game, i do also believe you have to work for it and not just have everything handed to you on a silver plate. Handholding can really destroy a game so that it may only appeal to the casuals that have no idea of what a mouse is, but it will also turn the game into an abomination for anyone who have just some experience playing a game.

I mean look at one of Blizzards other games, WoW. That game started out very clunky and with a lot of bugs, and over the years they have corrected several of these bugs, but they’ve also been dumbing the game down, and been making the bosses harder in raids. For example, i hadn’t played WoW since the release of Wrath of the Lich King, and by the time the last raid for Cataclysm came out (dragon soul or something like that) i decided to give it a go again. Within 6 real life days, where i also had to work 8-16 every week day, i managed to lvl a fresh character to 85 and down Deathwing. I remembered that previously it took weeks for us to down the bosses in Black Wing Lair and Molten Core, and i enjoyed it.

8. OlderGamer

@Talkar, I still can’t down all of firelands. That spider boss makes me wanna pull my hair out. Same group of people that I play DiabloIII with, I also play wow with. We range in age from 16 and 19(my two boys) to upper 50s. About 15 of us in all, most of us family. We just aren’t ubber gamers.

But that doesn’t mean we want to spend our game time matching three colored shapes or flail our arms around infront of a kinect dance game either.

I think it is just what happens when gamers age(I used to be able to beat anything out on C64, Atari2600(flipping the score ruled!), NES, etc. I just can’t anymore. And in a world of many choices for my entertainment dollers, I don’t want to beat my head on a wall with a game.

I also think that the medium has hit mass market mainstream. Meaning that where as 25 years ago it wasn’t likly that a 30yr old would even play a game, now 31 is the average age of a gamer. Meaning that a lot more then just ubber gamers are buying and playing games.

Games need to be enjoyable to different ages and different skill levels of gamers. They just do. There is a solution out there for most games, I am sure of it.

Removing the CD on pots option, I think I viable for Diablo III. DiabloII heal pots didn’t have a CD on them. I don’t think it solves everything, but I think it would help. I have lost count of the times when I am kitting baddies whil ethe screen flashes red, hoping I don’t get winged or cornered while waiting for a Pot to ready to use.

Put pot CDs in some ubber hardcore mode.

I am just one of those folks that love games like DiabloIII. And there is a lot to like about the game. But the difficulty has made me frustrated. A frustraited gamer isn’t having fun. No reason i should have to repair twice during the same encounter(love where the mobs pin you back to your spawn spot, and have both champians and an elite sitting there waiting for you to respawn. I have had to quit the game and restart in order to reset the mobs so I could repair and move forward. thats a bit much imo.

There are four levels in Diablo III, and it isn’t like beating a sp console game where the only point of another dificulty is to have braging rights, achievies or trophies to show off to your friends. I am at end of Nightmare and sitting in the upper 40s(out of 60 lvls). There is more building and gear and crafting to get on higher modes. that is game content to me. PSO does the same type of thing. It has normal, hard, very hard, and when you beat those Ultimate mode unlocks. Ultimate is full of rare drops, and you can keep building your toon till lvl 200. It is done right, imo.

Dificulty is where I feel DiabloIII has the most trouble. I can handle the always on, even the AH. But I can’t keep playing if it is so hard.

Sorry for the rant, I love the game but have been sp damn frustraited recently that I haven’t played in a few days. And I would like to.

Interesting notes:

Only one player in our group has beating Diablo in Nightmare mode(my 16 yr old son).

When he looks for random players to play in hell mode, he has a hard time finding them. He has to create his own game, open it to public and once in awhile someone drops in for a bit. That tells me that a lot folks must drop off from Nightmare to Hell modes. I bet Blizz knows that and that is why they are looking to tweak the dificulty.

I doubt it is because of the forums. I mean maybe. But I bet those hardcore gamers are prolly alos early adopters and have prolly done what erth did and have beaten the game and moved on by now. they had their challange and the remaining pool of players can’t handle it that tuff.

Btw, that is my therory for the wow nerfs too. Stuff is hard as hell for a window of time when it comes out, then gets dumbied down for the masses after awhile. You kind of have to expect that.

9. OlderGamer

A question I would like to ask talkar, do you use adds with wow? I know you do, we all do.things like deadly boss mod and other stuff. Give the game a go without that shit. Lots harder.

I ask, because I have yet to talk to anyone that complained about how easy wow has become, that didn’t use a collection of adds. Well, the add ons are designed to make the game experience easier.

For a real thrill, try a random pug 10 where no one uses add ons or chat.

Why would you do that?

Because that is the way the game is. Just use what is in the game client. I know adds can be worked into the client, but if the issue is that it is too easy…why use tools that make it easier?

10. Talkar

@OG
    Again i must say that if they make the various difficulties (past normal difficulty that is) much easier then the whole point of having them becomes redundant. What is the point of playing nightmare difficulty if the difficulty isn’t nightmarish. You know what i mean? The game has to get harder depending on a couple of factors, such as how far are you in the game, for example act 1 should be easier then act 3. The game should also become harder for every difficulty level you go up so that nightmare is harder than normal. I can say that i’ve succesfully leveled through normal, nightmare and is currently going strong on hell difficulty with a hardcore character, in single player of course. Does that make me a hardcore gamer? Maybe it does, i’ll let others decide that for themselves, but what i do know is that it took me leveling up a number of “normal” characters to learn the various monsters and bosses.
    I guess what i’m trying to say is, that even if you don’t have the time/knowledge/skill or something else required to proceed further into a game, should you really be rewarded to do so? I understand you have a desire to get further in, but if you were just handed it wouldn’t that diminish said desire significantly?

In regards to your question, i’ve only tried one mod/addon for WoW, I don’t really remember what it is called, but it could show the loot off of the different bosses, and the only reason i used it was because at that time i had a computer that couldn’t handle if i alt-tabbed out of a game, to for example check what Lucifron. I’ve had no trouble with the UI in the game so i see no reason to use an addon for that and i rebound my keys anyways so i never had a need for macros either (1-6 is on QWERTY, 7-´ is on AFGZXC and a couple of lesser used abilites on the 1-6 keys with my movement keys on ESDF).

11. johnpearse

Diablo 3 Billionaire is the most efficient way to farm without getting banned or getting your account Hacked. Check out the review at Top Dogg Reviews . com

12. OlderGamer

Hardcore? Yes sir, I would say so :)

13. magnumfinger

Good to know no one is bringing up that Jay Wilson vs David Brevik debacle. But for those who want to know the particular reason why Jay pointed that comment, here’s an article: http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/diablo-3-the-truth-about-jay-wilson-and-david-brevik-fiasco/ via N4G.