Shadowrun Returns concept art shows a grim, neon-lit metropolis

Monday, 20th August 2012 08:38 GMT By Dave Cook

Shadowrun Returns developer Harebrained Schemes has revealed a new piece of concept art for its full funded Kickstarter project. The art is representative of what the final game should look like, which is great news for series fans.

Here’s the shot:

The studio also explained the shot over at its official dev blog, “While this is concept art – not a screenshot – it’s representative of the fidelity and art style we’re shooting for. For the uninitiated (or those seeking a quick refresher!) the concept above depicts the infamous Redmond Barrens* of the mid 2050s.”

“The game environment will be composed of painted 2D elements, so we should be able to deliver the level of detail, depth and expressiveness that you see here. Characters in Shadowrun Returns, on the other hand, are being constructed in 3D – which allows them the fluid movement and wide range of character design and equipment options you’d expect from an RPG. We’ve done a number of tests and the 2D/3D mix feels very natural.”

“We’re really excited about the direction we’re heading in and the progress we’ve made in the last 3 months. We look forward to showing you more soon!”

Thanks EvilAvatar.

1. Gnosis

Gotta be one of the better part of Barrens lol. Or maybe it wasn’t such a goddamn hole back in the 50s. But yeah, I like it. Really wanna see a good Shadowrun game :/

2. roadkill

Looks good! :)

3. Gheritt White

Cannot wait, proud to be a backer.

4. TheWulf

Ahhh yes. This is looking lovely, and precisely what I hoped for, to be honest. It’s nice to have a different fantasy setting for a change, and this kind of science-fantasy setting is… well, far too rare. Just like most of the punks are rare (atompunk, dieselpunk, clockpunk, even steampunk).

It’s nice to see that at least SOME developers are flexing their mind muscles. Most still aren’t, most fantasy is still dull purist pap, and most Sci-Fi is still violence-laden nonsense.

But right now, I know I have a Shadowrun game coming this way.

And the knowing makes me happy.

I am most pleased by their offering of concept art, and I really can’t wait to see more from them. I backed with a nontrivial sum of money, too, and I’m glad that I did.

5. OwningXylophone

Really cannot wait for this, if it lives up to its promises then it could well be one of the best cyberpunk RPG games for years! Hopefully it will justify my $100 layout.

“Really wanna see a good Shadowrun game”

Check out every other SR game ever made (especially the SNES one) apart from MS’s bastardised FPS which I actually thought was OK, but had no real relevance to the SR universe.

6. TheWulf

Good advice. The SNES Shadowrun game was a masterclass when it comes to Western RPGs. And so much more interesting than most of the pap that us Western gamers have shovelled our way today.

But then, I often find that’s the case. Sometime around ’04 or ’05 it seems that originality died and we’ve been getting a lot of the same thing over and over since then. Before then we had real fantasy games. The ’90s were a beautiful time for them.

It’s sad, because since then I can name almost all the RPGs that had unusual settings, instead of being that common middle-ages gruel we’ve become so accustomed to. And I’m absolutely starved for things like this. I’m so sick of our diet of gruel. I want more exotic food.

And Shadowrun is exotic food.

For those who’ve not played the prior games, really, go play them. Do yourself a favour and go play them.