PS Vita sales hit 2.2 million worldwide

Monday, 20th August 2012 17:18 GMT By Dave Cook

PS Vita has hit a worldwide sales total of 2.2 million units as of June 30th, Sony has revealed. Considering that Kaz Hirai revealed figures of 1.8 million in May, sales seems to be slowing, but can a strong post-gamescom release slate change that?

Joystiq reports that the last sales update it received from Sony was at the start of May, with the handheld hitting 1.8 million in sales. The site estimates that PS Vita sold around 200,000 per month in May and June, bringing us to the current 2.2 million total.

So while May and June were reportedly steady yet underwhelming months for PS Vita, a strong gamescom showing last week could manifest in the surge of sales Sony wants. Tearaway, Assassin’s Creed: Liberation, Killzone Mercenary and the middling Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified could be big hitters when they launch.

The site also reports that just days after launching in the US, Nintendo 3DS had already shifted 1.41 million units more than PS Vita, which could raise some serious questions about Sony’s fortune.

Thanks Joystiq.

1. Dragon246

Awful sales figures to say the least. They are not going to 5 m in sales this year let alone their target of 12m psp and vita combined.
    Hope they do something asap as poor sales leads to decrease in support from 3rd party pubs .
    If these alarming figures can’t wake them up, nothing will.

2. G1GAHURTZ

2.2m, eh?

Oh… How nice.

3. SlayerGT

I recommend Sony take a good 1st party dev on have em make a monster hunter rip off. If capcom won’t make one..make your own. 4 player loot driven co op games are where its at. Speaking of where its at..wheres the rogue-like Sony was working on? Originally Rune. I thought it looked neat.

4. OlderGamer

All about price point, me thinks. Its nice hardware, really nice. Just needs to be priced 150-175usd. 200usd tops if it has a pack in.

5. manamana

If they can’t pick up sales with CoD and AssCreed this holiday, they’ll sink like a stone. New iPad and iPhone is around the corner which isn’t exactly helping. They need much more killer titles and they need them asap.

6. Moonwalker1982

I really hope it will sell better cause it’s starting to get some great stuff on it.

AC: LIberation looking really good.
    Killzone Mercenary is something i really look forward to.
    TearAway looks very unique and fun.
    Soul Sacrifice could turn out to be really awesome.

It’s going the right way now.

7. SlayerGT

@4 mostly true. I found it interesting that when announced everyone was like “ooo only 250 dollars?”. Cause if remember the 3DS was the same. You know what happened next. Since then everyone is singing a different tune..

8. Moonwalker1982

I do feel that people (including me) have been a bit unfair when it comes to Sony and the Vita. The Vita had a very solid launch…did the 3DS have? And now with these upcoming Vita games, i have faith it will be good.

9. Razor

What a disaster.

Still, at least Tretton’s happy.

10. ManuOtaku

Unlike most nintendo bashers, i will wish for the vita to bounce back and to do good numbers for now on, we need our dedicated handhelds devices doing good,both of them, and if microsoft decide to join the fray, the same applies, just in order to shut up the doomers of the dedicated gaming devices, i will add my part and purchase one in christmas time with gravity rush, i can only wish for success.

11. Moonwalker1982

Gravity Rush is awesome, i’m having alot of fun with that game. And some features are truly unique too. Plus the controls are spot on.

12. Pytox

Tearaway and AC Liberation make me want to have a vita

13. polygem

i sold mine because it just lacked games that i liked – resistance burning skies made me instantly put it back on ebay…there are some new interesting titles in the pipeline for it finally. still it´s not enough to make me purchase one again and i highly doubt that i always will, because i am more than happy with my 3ds atm, but it really seems like they are making the right decissions now and i hope the vita will pick up some steam…

14. Moonwalker1982

Ah shame man, sold it? I managed to buy a Vita for half of the normal price, so i wasn’t gonna ignore that. I will never sell it, cause i am sure i’ll regret it. I have yet to buy Uncharted and right now i’m busy with Gravity Rush. If they manage to bring even more unique titles to the system, like Tearaway and LESS multiplatform games like Sly and Sony All Stars it would be much better. People are not going to buy a game they can get for their PS3 as well on Vita.

15. DrDamn

Agree with OG. Needs a cut towards present territory before Christmas preferably. It could still do the numbers because mostof the sales will be in the holiday period, but needs to be better value.

16. polygem

@14: i think i might partly regret it indeed one day because of a few games, but on the other hand i had to make priorities. i own a 360, ps3, wii, 3dsxl, some old gen consoles and i will def. pick up a wiiu when it launches…it´s more than enough. i sold it without much of a loss. i played quite a few games on it while i had it and i could get a very good first hand impression on it so purchasing it and then selling it wasn´t a loss in my book eventhough i might´ve lost 60 euro or so. i paid for the entertainment i had with the vita. all good. the vita, while impressive on the paper, didn´t really impress me much.i didn´t like the ui. i am one of those few xmb fans. it is perfect imho and i would have liked if sony took that as a reference to work something fresh out for the vita..those bubbles didn´t do much for me. the vita is a great system with huge potential though, so don´t get me wrong but it just didn´t click for me. games like motorstorm rc and uc golden abyss didn´t do much for me…i loved rayman but played that already. i loved mutant blobs too but it wasn´t a true must play game really. same goes for stardust and wipeout. i am a sly cooper fan and as much as i´d even prefer playing the new sly game on a handheld system it didn´t justify owning the system for that – it comes to the ps3 too. resistance bs was a huge huge let down for me and it´s still beyond me how sony could ever let that happen to such a great franchise of them…many have hopes for cod vita, but knowing nihilisitc develops that one too makes me more than sceptical about it. also i do not think those are the kind of games the vita needs. i agree with many here, a price cut for the system the memory cards and system unique games will probably do the trick—and remote play. i would´ve never sold the vita if i would´ve been able to play my ps3 classic hd collections on that thing…if all that´s coming now – and it really looks like all this is finally on the way- it will be great but i feel like passing out on this one anyway. can´t have it all.

17. lexph3re

@14 I just Platinumed GR was more then a justifiable reason to own a Vita. Wish I would’ve bought it earlier but glad I didn’t wait to long. The Challenges we’re perfect on the go and so where the gem collecting. I felt the trophy’s for that game perfectly reflect how trophies should work on a game. Did it all on 1 play through and can’t wait for GR2(they leave more then enough room for 1)

I don’t think a price cut is necessary personally. But, I know a lot of people who are thinking it’s like the 3DS and should have a price cut so their waiting. Do I think they should be rewarded in a false sense of expectations? Nope, make them Salivate.

18. kupocake

I’m planning on getting one… but you know… This is still about 9 million less than the Game Gear’s lifetime sales.

19. loveaya

PSV sucks.

20. TheOutcastWolf

@19 please, have you asked your parents’ permission before using the internet?

Anyway, 300.000 before P4 The Golden, 1.8 after P4 The Golden, that only in Japan, I really see a great future on it…

BTW how many bought the 3DS (I really don’t know, not sarcasm or irony intended)? The 1.41 million of “Few days after the US launch” really is a dick move since the Vita launched weeks after 3DS…

21. Len

Mine got nicked (still gutted about it) but I just won’t go and buy another until they drop the price now.

Really like the machine, what time I had with it anyway… :(

22. Moonwalker1982

When did this happen? I mean…didn’t Sony repair it or give a new one? Warranty?

23. TheOutcastWolf

@22 I do believe it was completelly destroyed when he said “nicked”, warranty is a store’s preference…

24. lexph3re

No it was stolen when he moved, he posted a thread on it.

25. TheOutcastWolf

@24 Anyway… he might aswell go after a new one… In the future when its price drops…

I am really proud of mine, got BlazBlue and MGS HD Collection so I am glad atm, just waiting for AC: Liberation and, as I said, P4 The Golden… AND SLY COOPER 4 OF COURSE… All Stars Battle Royale too I guess…

26. Dragon246

Vita has great games for PS fans , but it needs more diversity in games . All the people who say that they sold their vitas for the lack of games shouldn’t have bought it in the first place. It only had a few months in the market , of course its library isn’t as expansive as other platforms . How was 3ds library this time last year? Shitty to say the least. 3ds library still does not resonate with me, especially with that hardware.
    Vita could have sky rocketed if a price cut was introduced , but increased sales leads to increased losses for them.
    This is probably the only time sony name is damaging ps brand . If not for current Sony climate , vita would have been sold at a loss like ps3.
    Such a great hardware deserves better sales.

27. Da Man

I wouldn’t be surprised if half of these are still scattered around the stores..

28. KrazyKraut

Hope Nihilistic pushes their skills at CoD. Ragnarok Odyssey is promising too!

29. Gadzooks!

I thought Sony might have learned an important lesson when they shat out the godawful PS3: Technology is not gaming, and flashy graphics is not gaming.

But no, after the disaster that was the PS3 architecture and their focus on style over substance with all the gameplay-lite tech demos they call ‘games’, they go ahead and produce the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the public want from a handheld.

Sony are stupid beyond words. Unable to learn from their obvious mistakes, producing a machine that was not asked for, and has no market for.

They deserve the crash and burn they so expertly engineered with this worthless piece of high tech frippery.