Command & Conquer Generals 2: No single player campaign at launch

Monday, 20th August 2012 17:08 GMT By Dave Cook

C&C Generals 2 won’t have a single player campaign at launch but it will have a strong focus on eSports, BioWare has confirmed.

Speaking with PC Gamer, Bioware Victory general manager John Van Caneghem explained that Generals 2 will not launch with a single player campaign, and that both co-op and PvP skirmishes will serve as the game’s focus.

Caneghem did reveal however, that more modes could be added to the game if the community demand is high enough, including a story mode.

Speaking of where the game may evolve over time, Caneghem added, “We decided to choose Generals as the first set of games we build under the universe, but we’ll be expanding after that, like Tiberium and Red Alert as well as some others as well. But Generals 2 was the first one, and it was one of the biggest sellers, as well as the fanbase has been asking for it for some time.”

Does the lack of single player make your blood boil, or is multipalyer fine? Discuss below.

1. DocCylon

The Generals games never had a particularly strong campaign mode, compared to say Red Alert 3 or the Tiberium games. Multiplayer and Skirmishing was certainly what I spent the majority of time doing with Generals (and Zero Hour). Personally I’m just excited for a C&C game on the Frostbite 2 engine. High expectations.

2. f1r3storm

Not really interested then.

3. Nakorson

How i now completely lost interested in the game.

First the announcement that it will be f2p (browser?) game and now that it will be multiplayer only …

I prefer single player campgains in strategy games like C&C and War-/Starcraft but maybe I’m the only one.

4. Maximum Payne

What @1 said.
    Even Tiberium games had poor campaign and very simple objective style.Only thing that was ”good ” was live action cut scenes but that was absent in generals.
    @3 It won’t be a browser, Frostbyte is little bit more complex for browsers :)

5. alterecho

@3 No, you’re not the only one.

6. macronia

@3 No, you’re not the only one :) I love campaigns in any strategy game

7. DocCylon

@3 Yeah but you can hardly say you were expecting a stellar campaign from a Generals game, BioWare brand or not. As @4 it’ll still be a normal download and install, but expect it to be through Origin (no hating now).

EDIT: @4 Simple or not, I loved the Tiberium games campaigns :P

8. AlchemyFire

@3 You’re not the only one. EA look they are slowly loosing the plot, and are very quickly isolating their core fans.

9. silkvg247

RIP, C&C.

10. Old MacDonald

But how are they going to implement the FMV sequences if there’s no single player?

11. Maximum Payne

@10 In generals there haven’t been any…

12. Sylrissa

@3. I’ll add my name to that list, so you’re certainly not the only one to enjoy the single player campaign.

To each their own, but I played the old C&C games for the single player stories, so this now has no interest for me.

13. silkvg247

C&C was one of the best RTS games out, can’t believe it went this way. It’s so sad. I didn’t even bother buying C&C4 but now removal of SP campaign = fuck it. What a waste. As usual greed ruins everything, in this case trying to monopolise some of the success of SC2 MP.

14. GrimRita

Much rather play End of Nations thanks very much. Yet another example, if it were needed of the EA Borg Machine at work.

15. Shanix

Welp. I had high hopes.

Had.

16. DSB

@14 I think EA is just the vanguard here. Activision and Ubisoft definitely want it too.

Stripping down games and making them always online so you can overcharge for piecemeal content, may sound like the best idea “evurrr” for someone as clueless as the average games executive, but I think it’s just gonna diminish their value, by the exact same logic DeMartini used.

You pay nothing, you get far less content than a conventional release, and any content worth having is going to be sold to you at an outrageous total.

Or has been the case in some EAs games, it’ll just be taken away from you 7 days later.

What better way to turn people off games?

17. Phoenixblight

Can’t judge this game quite yet and we don’t know if they will be charging for extra content. Example look at ME3 all its DLC up until Tuesday has been free. They could have nickel and dimed the fanbase and people would probably would have paid for it but they didn’t. THe same can be said about all the additional features for this game. For C&C I have never really cared for the campaign so instead of them wasting resources on something most people won’t mess with they can put their attention towards something else and possibly add it later if there is a demand for it. I see this as a win/win.

18. DSB

Mass Effect 3 wasn’t F2P as far as I recall.

19. Phoenixblight

Still my point remains you can’t claim to know what EA will or will not charge for it.

20. DSB

Nah, I’m sure they’re going to completely change the way they do things this time around.

… Not.

21. Phoenixblight

You have evidence how they will do it? Please enlighten us. EA hasn’t followed your example with their previous games so how do you know your right?

Ubisoft completely removes component from their games so that people that order the game through a specific retailer get it. I have not seen EA do this but somehow EA is the vanguard of removing components and charging people? Kay…

22. DSB

I’m pretty sure people know what to expect from EA by now. Or most of ‘em anyway.

Are you still comparing actual releases with their F2P titles, or have you just not played their F2P games?

23. Phoenixblight

I have played their F2P games specifically Facebook SIm game and Warhammer: Wrath of Heroes and neither of them charge for modes or whole components of the game. They allow you to buy individual items which is to be expected from F2P.

24. BozzyJB

How can people chat all this crap. at the end of the day they’ve said that if demand is high enough they will introduce new game types, with the possibility of single player campaigns. the campaign was good, but after 1 play everyone knows it was about the skirmish mode or multiplayer if you had it. campaign was good but lets be honest you wouldnt buy the game just for the campaign, whereas people will buy the game just for the multiplayer. the same way people enjoy CoD campaign, but the multiplayer is what makes it.