Wii U graphics “maybe even better” than 360 and PS3, says Sumo

Friday, 17th August 2012 01:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A representative for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed developer Sumo Digital has told Eurogamer that the Wii U’s graphics capabilities are “on-par” with current consoles, “or maybe even better”. There has been much speculation over the upcoming console’s capacities, as Nintendo has kept very quiet on its innards. We’re still waiting on launch details but expect the Wii U by the end of the year. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is due on 3DS, PlayStation 3, Vita and Xbox 360 in November, with the PC and Wii U release undated.

1. drewbles82

Like thats a huge deal, nextgen ms, sony stuff prob out less than year after the WiiU anyway. MS let it slip already its out in the next 18months, including someone who works on Thief 4 saying its 4 nextgen, out next holiday season. hmmmmm.

2. daytripper

Why has “easily” been cut out of his quote? He clearly states in the interview with IGN

“easily on par” so why are Eurogamer picking and choosing quotes?

3. HeavyD-Love

Really?

“maybe even better” than 6 year old hardware…..

?!?!?!?!?!
    ?!?!??!?!?

4. OrbitMonkey

More interested in how the games perform tbh.

5. Dannybuoy

I love ambiguous words like “maybe”

6. Fin

Stop the fuckin’ presses. A console due out at the end of this year is “on-par” with consoles released in 2005/2006.

7. OlderGamer

I hope Nintendo never put out a tech spec sheet on WiiU. Let the fools that judge system based only on tech demos go somewhere else. I just wanna play fun games.

8. ManuOtaku

To tell you the truth what the WiiU needs is an easy to develop engine, with a good punch true 1080p, and that will guarantee third party support so when the new consoles from microsoft and sony will be arriving the games can be scalable down, that will be a plus compare to wii, and with all this also establish a good price point due to unexpensive hardware, and for all that i think they will do good, in order to survive another gen, which is what i only ask for, if they can hit it like the wii, thats a plus in my eyes, but not the most important.

9. Psychotext

@7: Might as well have no new hardware at all then… plenty of fun games on the existing consoles. :P

10. OlderGamer

Nagh, PT, Nintendo needs new hardware. The other two guys, maybe not so much. What i wonder most is how much a of a leap forward the new MS and Sony platforms will actualy be. I know that gamers are expecting great things. But I don’t think those systems will be much better then their current offerings. I am guessing smoother, faster, maybe.

I don’t know if anyone recalls, but when the XB360 came out and Halo3 launched, it wasn’t much better then Halo2. I say that because I was running Halo2 in HD on xbox one. I used to play Halo back then. When three came out I was greatly disapointed because side by side, the differences wasn’t impressive.

One of the reasons that people think so much progress was made from last gen to this gen is because last gen most people didn’t play in HD. Now they do. And last gen most people played Playstation2. And PS2 was the weakest of the systems on the market. Would be like going from Wii to XBNXT. You’re going to be very impressed with the graphics. But if your going from HD XB360 or PS3 to XBNXT, your likly to be less impressed.

Now, I am not ripping on anything or claiming that next gen MS/Sony systems will be bad or look ugly. But I do think that WiiU is going to be close enough for it to not matter. And Nintendo had to be closer graphicly to the next gen offerings that it would have been with Wii. Comparitivly. What Nintendo needing to do was to get into HD and expand their Online. I think they are adressing both issues with WiiU. that is why they needed new hardware.

But the days of worrying about what tech in under the hood, I think are in the rear view mirror. I think we are quickly aproaching a graphical glass ceiling.

11. CPC_RedDawn

@10 OlderGamer

Are you being serious? You played Halo 1 on your Xbox in HD? LMFAO! You have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you played it on PC and not on Xbox. You played it in SD. Even if you hook and Xbox, Gamecube, or PS2 up to a HDTV that does not make it HD. It will still display in SD and the graphics will be for most even worse than playing on a SDTV because the picture will be stretched and distorted. There were no HDMI cables for those consoles, at best you could get an RGB cable which would enhance the picture color only slightly.

Xbox 1 to Xbox 360 at the time was a MASSIVE jump in processing power. As was the PS2 to PS3. Easily nearly three to four times the power of previous consoles. The only reason why the first batch of games did not look that good on the current consoles was because developers were just getting used to the new hardware. Look at the games on current console now, if they came out at the start of their life you would of gone crazy over the graphics. I too thought the same playing Halo 3, comparing it to Halo 2. It did not look that much better, apart from lighting and textures were a little crisper. But fast forward and now look at Halo Reach and Halo 4. Both look miles better than Halo 2 or 3. Because devs know how to use the hardware to its best abilities.

Saying you played Halo 1 on the first Xbox in HD is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have ever ever heard.

12. Christopher Jack

Unless you’re a huge fan of any Ninty franchise or really enjoy the tablet gimmick, there’s no reason to grab this over the X360 or PS3. If you’re looking for a next gen experience right now, grab a PC. If you don’t want the hassle of gaming on a PC, wait a year or 2 for the PS4 or NeXbox.

Any core gamer who doesn’t care for either Ninty’s franchises or the tablet gimmick WILL be disappointed if they buy the Wii U. The difference between that & current gen consoles will be no larger than the difference between the original Xbox & original Wii.

Except developers were capable of making mature games on the original Xbox while on the Wii you’ll have to sift through all the gimmicky & kiddy games to find a rare mature game like Monster Hunter Tri- & unless you have disposable cash, it’s just not worth owning a console for a handful of gems.

13. monkeygourmet

Wow, that was hilarious nerd rage, i bet your a real hit with the ladies!

14. Dave Cook

@11 I’ve never finished the original Halo. I couldn’t stomach it because I thought it was utterly dross.

15. OrbitMonkey

^ *Gasp!!* No, YOUR dross!!!

:’(

16. polygem

@7: lol – exactly!
    @12: would you please just stop this nintendo kids game argumentation? it is such a lie. donkey kong country returns or kirbys return to dreamland are probably kids games in your eyes…well what´s gears of war then, a game where you control a bunch of bodybuilders with chainsaw rifles to slay aliens? don´t get me wrong i totally adore the gameplay of the gears games but those games just aren´t more mature than a donkey kong game. you just like them more….they are all “games”…

17. OlderGamer

Hey RedDawn

Might wanna read what someones posts before going bonkers over it.

I played Halo2 in HD. Anyone with HD cables and a HDTV could. Go toss in Halo2 on your current xb360, and then toss in Halo3. There isn’t a hella lot of graphical jump there.

Of course as time goes on the XB360 has improved(as far as graphical benchmarks in games). Same could be said for any console. I saw an Atari2600 game that was made a few years ago, it rivaled NES level games. As time goes onward consoles give up programing tricks and secreats. But end gen XBXone games weren’t very far behind first gen XB360 games.

Samething is my guess for the next gen. ‘Cept I have to wonder how much improvement devs will be able to make over the course of the lifespan of both XBNXT and PS4. Why? Graphical limitations of TVs, and dev costs.

Graphics aren’t where the improvements really need to be made anyways. Loading speeds. Installs/no install? Digital delivery. Improved AI. And other things most of us won’t notice the first time we sit down with a controler. Where I expect graphics to improve will be in color palaets(it is just stupid to look at a grey/brown game and think it looks good – it doesn’t). Frame rates(60fps should be the norm, I doubt it will be, but it should be). Smoother animation would be good. And so on.

But for goodness sake don’t expect Pixar level graphics. And don’t expect something leaps and bounds ahead of where the PS3 currently is right now. Your likly to be disapointed.

Oh and RedDawn, I played GC in 480P(with HD cables). I also played DreamCast with VGA hookups.

Now before someone points it out, yeah I totaly know it is low end HD. Not really HD at all in some cases. But in other cases(where XB was concerned I played in a sudu 720P). That is how I played Halo2. I never claimed I played Halo one in HD.

18. Psychotext

You’re kinda blind OG: http://uk.gamespot.com/features/halo-3-evolved-6179901/

19. OlderGamer

PT what part of my post didn’t you understand? Err let me help, most of it ;)

20. Christopher Jack

@16, Just about all Ninty’s game, except Metroid, are kids games. Get over it. No one ever said that made them bad games. I like Pokemon but am fully aware that it’s a childrens’ game. Now stop being delusional while trying to protect your machismo.

@OG, I get you’re saying but widescreen 480p was never considered HD, all you’ve done is confused some people. I know certain original Xbox games supported widescreen 480p but I think they were just stretched so you really weren’t getting much out of it.

21. SlayerGT

Why does no one ever talk about sound? The most obvious improvement to pgr3 over last gen racers was easily the sound. I’m hoping for another upgrade in that department. Bad company 2 (dev for consoles) has fantastic sound effects. On war tapes are you kidding!? The first time I got sniped at I nearly jumped out my skin. Then watching trailers for bf3 (dev for PC) I got so pumped because it sounded better. But was let down as I believe, on Xbox, its sounds worse than bc2. I want that next gen sound. Gt and forza sorely need it. And give me a GTA that looks a little bit better than 4 where, after passing a car, when I turn around its there! Memory memory memory.

22. Psychotext

@19: The parts where you said “When three came out I was greatly disapointed because side by side, the differences wasn’t impressive” and “There isn’t a hella lot of graphical jump there”

I don’t disagree with you often, but I have to question your eyesight if you think there’s not a significant difference between the two.

23. DrDamn

@OG
    ” I have to wonder how much improvement devs will be able to make over the course of the lifespan of both XBNXT and PS4. Why? Graphical limitations of TVs”

PS3 and 360 are often criticised for not getting near current TV capabilities. A lot of games are barely 720p and very few hitting 1080p, and even then they are compromised in other ways. So XBNXT and PS4 ending up “limited” by TVs would still be a huge step up.

24. polygem

@20: “Just about all Ninty’s game, except Metroid, are kids games.”
    i want to see the 6 year old finishing skyward sword…a 6 year old shouldn´t play COD, but many could easily play through that “mature” game, or halo, or gears, or uncharted…

i´ve heard exactly those words from many many so called hc gamers and tbh i feel very sorry for them…talking about machismo here.

25. stretch215

Lol. Check out the Nintendo Defense Force. Defending out of date graphics on a yet to be released console. While I agree that game play is more important, I can’t wrap my head around this decision by Nintendo. A more powerful system is about more than gfx. You ninty guys know that.

26. OlderGamer

I don’t know PT, I liked your link, but I wasn’t blown away at all with xb360. I think in part because I was already playing in HD both on consoles(were avalible, and admittedly lower hd) and PC at the time. And I am not the only one that feels that way even a guy in this thread that thinks I am out to lunch, agreed that halo3 wasn’t a mega jump over halo2.

The biggest thing between the halos(2 and 3) was textures and shaders. Not like the game changed at all. Not like the maps had 64 players on them. Or the power was used for much besides a slightly shinier coat of paint. Samething, I think, is going to happen next gen.

And I do agree with what you said too Doc. But I am wondering how “huge”. I don’t think it will be amazing. I am not even sure it will be as big as last gens jump up. I am expecting smoother, faster, shaper, and I hope for the love of the gaming gods, more colorful. Same games, new coat of paint basicly.

Keep in mind too, that alot of what we judge consoles on are strickly graphics. How shinny are the shinny? That is what my orig post was about. Tossing that out the window and not worrying about how many jigawatz or magezolts a system can crank out under ideal nongame situations.

I just want fun to play games, and yes I am looking very forward to what new twists(gimmicks if you like) the Tablet pad can offer. I honestly don’t think that MS and Sony need new hardware, not from a tech speck point of view. But for the sake of stagnet sales, they better bring it sooner rather then later. I just hope the new systems offer more then slightly shinnier graphics. Because more expensive … everything(hardware/software/services/etc) for the sake of prety graphics will get the consoles rolled by Tablets/laptops/mobile/pc and take the industry away from traditional console living room markets(hence the outdated biz models I keep carrying on about ;) )

Going to be an interesting couple of years I think.

27. Clupula

@24 – you’ve heard them because they’re true. Those are children’s games. Period. The difficulty is there so that adults can enjoy them too, but they are aimed squarely at children. The first Kingdom Hearts game had an incredibly hard last boss, it does not mean that the game wasn’t aimed at kids.

28. Dragon246

Ninty lives in its own world. But what is undeniably awful is that they will probably charge 300$ for the same tech available for 200-250$ in ps3 and 360. Ps3 will even receive a price cut soon.
    If they release it 200 or less, fine. Otherwise too expensive wrt present consoles which have high libraries.
    Also both sony and ms need new consoles not only to incorporate new graphics but to bring some innovation to industry (some new tech). I just hope its not 2 screens, which is just a stupid idea.

29. polygem

@25, 27: i have no words for this anymore. seriously. i´ve said it all. you silenced me. you are so mature…and you are missing out on some of the best videogames ever created. you twens you.

30. DrDamn

A lot of Nintendo games are aimed at kids. That doesn’t mean they are somehow bad games, that doesn’t mean they can’t be appreciated by adults. Kids also does not = 6 year olds. Kids covers quite a wide age range. You style your games at your target demographic. What style would you say Nintendo games are?

31. Clupula

@30 – exactly. Being a kid’s game doesn’t mean it can’t be fun for an adult. As I said with the Kingdom Hearts example. The game gets way too hard for a kid to beat towards the end, but most kids don’t play games to completion anyway. The difficulty is there so that older people can appreciate it too.

Nintendo have only made four franchises that were not aimed at children (Conker’s Bad Fury Day, Killer Instinct, Eternal Darkness, and Metroid) and they lost two of them when Rare went to Microsoft. I don’t see why Polygem is in such denial of this. Every company makes games aimed towards children. Sony made the Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank franchises. Microsoft released a sequel to whatever that N64 game with the bear was. But Nintendo’s focus is 99% towards children. It’s plain for everyone to see. That’s why you’re going to keep hearing it. I bet if you asked that giant pumpkin-headed Filler-Aimes guy, he’d probably agree, before whining about how the “core gamer was insatiable” or some bullshit.

32. Gekidami

“(Conker’s Bad Fur Day, Killer Instinct, Eternal Darkness, and Metroid)”
    Nintendo only made and own one of those.

33. OrbitMonkey

Heh, Ninty’s games aimed at kids? Show me one game on consoles aimed solely at adults.

Lets not kid (arf) ourselves at the maturity of the medium.

34. G1GAHURTZ

Interesting academic article that basically repeats what I’ve already said on this topic before:

Nintendo intentionally left the ‘adult’ market (18-35) after realising that they couldn’t compete with Sony.

George Harrison (Nintendo’s senior VP of marketing) in 2006:
    We attribute this success to Nintendo’s overall strategy of offering something for everyone – from five-year-olds caring for their Nintendogs to 65-year-olds tuning their mental agility with Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day.

35. DrDamn

Well there isn’t one, but that has no bearing on the first statement. Obviously MS and Sony target kids too, but the assertion is that the target demographic of the majority of Nintendos own output is younger. We aren’t making any judgement on quality or validity. You can argue that quality and depth of the games is better than the majority where the target demographic is teen+. If the target demographic is kids then calling them kids games is perfectly valid. If you dismiss them simply because they are kids games then fine, tear them a new one, but to deny what they are just makes a person look silly. They are kids games, so what?

36. OrbitMonkey

^ My point is all videogames are aimed at kids, on all the consoles. Gears, GoW, CoD? All for teh kids.

37. polygem

@31 and 35: i really don´t think that the sly cooper games are mainly aimed at kids, neither the R+C games. i strongly disagree with that. those are games for everyone. you know, this “kids game” slogan is degrading those games, maybe you personally did not mean it that way, but mostly people use the kids term to say nintendo games aren´t real games. this happens all the time and it is total bullshit. i am a lot with orbit here, i cannot realy think about many games that truly deserve the term mature…to say nintendo only or mainly do kids games is just not true, that´s all, because:
    @G1GA: they aim for everyone -right

…that´s not making it kids games. you wont see an overly agressive, brutal nintendo game any time soon, sure, but that´s not making those games more immature than halo…or cod or final fantasy.

38. Sadismek

Well now, aren’t we our parents’ kids? :P

We all are kids in one way or another, the main difference being that some admit it while others don’t.

39. polygem

40. KrazyKraut

idc about graphics. look at Xenoblade Chronicles. Best JRPG so far.

41. OlderGamer

How many(what %) of the JPN releases that make it to the west are Mature Rated games?

I think a lot of folks over look the cultures behind these games.

Using a little logic you could say that western games(and the gamers that play them?) are more mature. More western games get released as mature games then JPN ones. Wouldn’t that be true then?

No, of course not. However, what you could sensibly say is that different cultures value different things.

Many of you seem to think that a mature person must play mature rated games. Playing a bloodbath gorefest doesn’t make you mature. Infact…mature would be able to enjoy a game without the graphic violence in it.

Kind of, in the same way a mature person doesn’t covet a teen scream movie. But kids and teens are drawn to games with gore, sex and language. And young adults don’t see anything wrong with it. Get older, raise kids, live a little. You just might find yourself gravitating to something with a few less headshots, kill cams, and blood splatering moments. Something that features gameplay over shock value.

I know a lot of you folks don’t, won’t or even can’t understand what I just said. And that is fine.

I can also tell you that if you think that many M-rated games are aimed squarly at kids. And there are a lot of kids that actualy think that playing M-rated games makes them a mature person(seen that one first hand, was funny – and a bit sad, when he started ranting about it. It was a friend of my youngest son that was at our house and I wouldn’t let them play a few games he brought).

No one wants to be told that they are immature because of the games they play. And I think anyone to call someone else that is prolly not understanding a few key points. In the end Orbit is right. they are toys either way you look at it. You can’t tell me that playing Dante, Sonic, Drake, Dom, Mario or Laura makes you anything…other then a gamer.

As for the cultures, they are different with different values. And artistic styles. Look at Dante VS Dom. Look at Final fantasy VS Elder Scrolls. They just value different sets of critera. Look past that shit. Look at the actual gameplay. Thats the most important part. The rest is just dressing.

The Nintendo games is for kids stuff is crap. What do you think JPN adult gamers play? You think your more mature because you play Gears or GoW or CoD? People are different and like different things, at some point you guys should respect that and move on.

42. polygem

@clupula:

“”"”You like things that children like. Fine. But you have to accept that you like things aimed for kids and the more you deny it, the creepier it is. It’s like if you had a room full of stuffed animals and you still somehow insisted that there was nothing weird about it, because adults need comforting too. No, it’s a room full of children’s toys.”"”"

do you really have to paint a fake picture of a weirdo here, to back up your argumentation? in my eyes it is far more creepy that you pretend a resident evil game is more mature than say a zelda game.

(just looking at it from a hetero way here, could easily be switched to same sex analysis, no offence):

if you´d ask every women on planet earth, if they think that a guy who plays a mario, zelda, hell even a freakin kirby game is more strange than a guy who is playing halo, gears or cod……………….you´d find your answer there, i promise. go start asking.

43. Dragon246

Yo Poly
    You like ninty games you dont need others permission for that . Let others say what they would . Everones preference can’t match .
    You are also probably the only I know who would buy wiiu day one .

44. DrDamn

Games are for people. People play games throughout their lives – always have. Sports, board games, chess. The difference with younger generations is acceptance of how you play game and the integration of technology into that – and maybe the amount of time you spend doing it.

We all seem to be lumping “kids” into one bracket here too. The subset of kids Nintendo games tend to target is younger than the subset others target. CoD doesn’t target 8 year olds but Mario does.

Also people are going off on tangents about teen type games which are “less mature” but bracketed as mature. That really doesn’t have any bearing on what the target demographic for a Mario game is does it?

45. polygem

sure i don´t need a pemission for that and i do let others say whatever they want…but would you please allow me to say what i want to say too? it´s not that i cannot accept legit criticism but i have some trouble with someone saying: ´all nintendo games are kids games, you are a weirdo if you like them pretending they are not.´ that´s just something beyond ignorant (and absoluteley, plain incorrect to begin with). someone has to respond to stuff like that.

46. polygem

but dr. the target demographic for a mario game certainly isn´t 6 to 15…it is for everyone. this is a huge nintendo strength -this is not turning games that are non violent and more accesible in general, automatically into kiddy games. the kids games argument almost always comes along with the no real games hammer. the term is used/ abused to degrade those games and it´s not giving them the respect they mostly deserve. imo it is a great strength and something very difficult to achieve in gamedesign if a father or mother can play mario galaxy (will get challenged doing so, mg2 had some tricky levels) and gets help from the son or the daughter. it´s fantastic, but even if the little 9 yo is swinging the wiimote too that´s not making a mario galaxy game a game targeted at kids. and that´s exactly what many fail to see. they don´t even scratch the surface. they just label stuff….label it and even put on the wrong label.

47. Fin

Yeah, E for Everyone. You even make reference to it there – families are one of Nintendo’s markets.
    The target audience is definitely not 18-34 males with one console already (which I’d perceive as the “core” or “mature” market). Do you honestly believe this demographic doesn’t perceive Nintendo consoles as kiddy or for kids? Do you know any gamer that would choose a Wii over 360 or PS3 (or PC)?

The last “mature” game I’ve seen on a Nintendo console was probably Eternal Darkness on GameCube. Maybe Mad World or HotD: Overkill on Wii. Zelda’s good for sure, but it’s not mature.

48. Christopher Jack

People take far too much from my comment about Nintendo’s targeted demographic. In fact, people tend to over think just about everything they come across. Arguing over technicalities when they really don’t understand the subject- all they’re really doing is frothing shit from their mouth.

Mario is aimed at kids- it’s a family friendly game & that’s not up for debate so stop trying to argue it. Just because it’s aimed at a specific demographic, doesn’t mean that others can’t enjoy it, as the old & tiresome line goes: “for kids of all ages”. Saying games are made for everyone is just not true, you’d probably find over 80% of those who play My Little Pony games are young females & that kids are unlikely to be playing games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

49. polygem

@CJ: (some) mario games are family friendly games BUT they are not aimed at kids. why can´t you see the difference here? it´s huge, written all over the place, in bold letters. i took your argumentation because the kids game-ninty stuff is in almost every nintendo related article, and no it is not in there because it is correct, it is in there because people refuse to scratch the surface. there is a huge difference in mario games and my little pony games. if you cannot see that i really cannot help you.
    @fin: they are definitley targeting those 18-35yo core gamers too, especially with the mario games. i have all current gen conoles (sold my vita though)…and if i had to choose just one, i would seriously keep the wii. why? because some of the most fun i had this gen was on that machine, milestones like mario galaxy, DKCR, zelda SS, Metroid prime 3…those games are almost flawless. i can count maybe 2 or 3 almost flawless games on ps3 and 360 combined, wihle on the wii and ds/3ds there are countless really. i would pick a galaxy game over gta or skyward sword over skyrim any day. if you think skyrim is more mature than skyward sword, then keep fooling yourself that playing videogames is manly and mature…avoid those cute mario charakters, they could ruin your disguise!

i am not saying those ninty games are mature at all. i am just saying that they are no kids either. all i am saying is they aren´t more immature than a gears of war, god of war, left 4 dead game. those games only have a mature rating because of the violence and gore, playing them wont make anyone look more mature than the guy playing donkey kong.

50. Gadzooks!

Lol, ‘not up for debate’

Meanwhile, debate continues unfazed..

Mario games are aimed at Mario game fans. Age is irrelevant.

Some people just need to be seen as ‘macho’ or ‘mature’. Their insecurities prevent them enjoying something that can also be enjoyed by children because this would somehow make them less ‘manly’.

Its nothing to do with the games and everything to do with the male ego.

51. polygem

@51:

:D

52. Fin

The argument’s never been that people can’t enjoy Nintendo games, it’s that Nintendo games are made primarly for children. Which they are. Like I said, I enjoy the Zelda series, but I’d never call it mature or adult. Saying it’s more mature or adult than Skyrim is laughable.

Ye can pretend like Gears of War etc aren’t mature games (even by saying they’re immature), but that doesn’t the fact that they’re geared (har har) towards an older target audience.
    Like it or not, mature games are violent, swear, have more than a save the princess storyline.

Essentially, people who don’t care about Zelda or Mario don’t care about Nintendo consoles.

53. silkvg247

To be honest while the comment is a bit absurd (woo we’re probably a bit better than 6 year old hardware), I don’t see why a Nintendo console would ever need anything better than current gen.

Let’s be serious, they will never be the target platform for your gritty GTA, COD or BF type games or gamers for that matter.

Current gen hardware can easily handle the Metroid, Mario, Zelda and Pikmin sequels that are no doubt going to spring up. They’ll also look fabulous because Nintendo generally have great visual style. I daresay some of their games would lose their charm if they started to get too realistic.

I’m on the fence about the Wii-U so far. I might be pushed over if it has BWC with the wii and cube, if not I’m not yet seeing anything that would convince me to replace my current library. I’m not excited about the new pad either, it just seems a gimmick and I have very little space to store things in my house as it is.

54. polygem

@Fin: “If you had to pick the demographic that had the largest number of Mario fans, what would it be?”
    i am 100% sure it´ll look something like that: males 22 to 45

55. manamana

@Brenna
    chapeau, headline works!

;-)

56. Christopher Jack

@53, That’s my point.

@54, The problem is Ninty has never really tried to grab that audience, they’ve handed it on a golden plater to Sony, MS & formerly Saga too. Video game consoles are quickly becoming all in one devices, you shouldn’t need to own a WiiU on top of a PS/3/60 just to enjoy both Ninty games & the likes of GTA, Assassins Creed & Battlefield.

57. manamana

@silk good points. But I thought its already clear that it will be BWC to Wii butwont have BWC to GC games …

58. Dragon246

@55,
    Nope, it will not. Something like 7-15 and 30 or 35 above.
    Here are the reasons-
    1. Ninty games have more appeal to kids eg. pokemon. (7-15 group)
    2. People who are nostalgic about ninty games (30 above)
    You are in second category. But as you can see, it has both adult and young audiences. Although most of the new gamers mario games get are kids like pokemon.

59. DrDamn

@Gadzooks!
    “Mario games are aimed at Mario game fans. Age is irrelevant.”

You still have to have a target audience in order to expand your Mario game fan base though. Visual/Artistic style is a huge part of target audience. Again target audience does not mean the only audience who can appreciate and enjoy the games, but where you aim with those will be used to categorise the games by others.

60. Gadzooks!

#59

Provide ANY evidence to back up your preposterous claim.

You won’t, of course. Because you can’t.

Fear can cause people to make rediculous statements. You must be VERY afraid of Nintendo.

This thread reminds me of my family holidays as a young ‘un. My younger brother would cry and scream when he was given a childs meal when we ate out.

He didnt complain at all when his childs portion of dino-bites was served on an adult sized plate.

61. Clupula

Yes, we are very afraid of Nintendo. You got us. I lay awake at night, terrified that Lance Henriksen is going to summon Reggie Fils-Aime to get revenge for that accident with his son.

My god, with how defensive you guys get that over the fact that certain franchises are aimed at children, how can I think of you guys as anything but creepy middle-aged men in cum-stained Tingle outfits? You’re like that “It’s still real to me, dammit!” guy who started crying when a conversation when the behind-the-scenes aspects of professional wrestling were discussed at some convention or the other (look it up on Youtube). Just face the facts, you like kid’s games. It wouldn’t be creepy if not for how defensive you all get about it. Like accepting the fact would make you have to accept your boy love or something.

I’ve already said that adults can enjoy them, but the target demographic is children. Plain. Simple. True.

62. polygem

@54: wii bc but not gc has been confirmed. i want infos if i can play games like dkcr or the wii kirby games on the tablet alone. that would be awesome. the tablet will also be great for the VC games.
    @59. we both don´t have proof about that numbers…i think i am more close to the reality here, you think you are.
    i am with #54 though, i don´t think more horsepower is needed for nintendo games, sure i cannot wait for hd mario and zelda, but for the most part the wii was absoluteley enough.
    third party is the key here. i also think that most third party games will look just as good on the wiiu as on ps360´s. even with the launch of the next ms and sony machines i don´t think that the wiiu ports will look much worse than on the nextbox ps4´s for a few years…then there could be another nintendo console after 5 years, with a nintendo online service that works well…could very well become a perfectly timed coup, since nintendos decission to not buy into hd current gen really paid out in the end or did i t not?

63. Clupula

“@57:if wiiu will gain third party support -and it looks like that, i personally see the need for owning ps360´s fading. but that could just be me.”

Of course, it’s just you. You’re creepy like that.

64. polygem

@62: man, if someone is creepy here it´s you pretending gears or halo isn´t as immature as mario.
    i am not defensive just to be defensive, again you are painting a picture of me being ignorant, while you post stuff like: all nintendo games are kids games, generalising stuff like, well a kid. this stuff is just not true and every time you´ll post that trash and i´ll read it by default, i´ll tell you again.

65. polygem

…and again

66. Gadzooks!

#62

Wow! You must have testosterone literally dripping from your hairy muscular MAN-BODY!

Your not-at-all-subtly-vieled paedophilia insinuation sure was in poor taste though.

67. OlderGamer

CoD, Halo and other such games are extermly popultaed with teens and preteens. No one is beating a war drum about their ages or your maturity because of ascoiciation when playing the same games. No one is saying in every thread that Acti or MS are targeting younger, even underage audiances with their marketing campaign, and they are btw.

So why do people feel the need to claim that Nintendo games are for kids. That is one of the craziest things I see on this forum, and on game sites in general. It is like the kettle and pot and whatnot, throwing stones whilst living in a glass house.

And for what? Your toy is cooler then someone elses? Really, grown adults arguing over the net over the maturity and validity of a toy?

Kind of silly folks.

68. Christopher Jack

@68, I’m just claiming that a kids game is a game you’d let you <10yo kids play, Mario is, CoD isn't- it's that simple, really. If you do let your kids play CoD, I ain't judging- so long as you don't just plop them in front of the tv without any context. Guns are bad, M'kay. I was playing, Medal of Honor & Dino Crisis at 7 years old & I turned out fine.

69. polygem

70. ManuOtaku

I think the rating is a very clear view of the main target audience for a game, an everyone game is very different for a kids only game, and pretty much all the core nintendo games are torwards everyone rahter than kids only, therefore saying is for kids, is a pretty narrow view.

71. OlderGamer

Nintendo games are a bit like Pixar studio movies. They can appeal to multi age brackets. But just like Acti doesn’t just do CoD, Nintendo doesn’t have just one franchise. Not really fair to lump them all together.

Just because kids do play some Nintendo games doesn’t make them kids games, anymore then a tweenies playing CoD make it a kids franchise.

72. Dragon246

Exactly.

73. Clupula

@67 – I wasn’t aware it was thinly veiled. I do many things well. Subtly is not one of them.

74. Gadzooks!

#74

Take that shit elsewhere. Its not wanted here.