FFXIV producer: Regaining the trust of fans “is very hard”

Friday, 17th August 2012 17:16 GMT By Nick Akerman

Square Enix believes damage caused by the original version of Final Fantasy XIV will take time to overturn. The game is set to relaunch with A Realm Reborn, but producer Naoki Yoshida is under no illusions.

In an interview with Eurogamer, Yoshida described the difficulty of getting the fans back on side.

“Losing your fans’ trust is very easy thing to do. Regaining it is very hard,” he said. “We believe Final Fantasy 14 is a starting point, and that players joining us will think ‘oh wow, this is great, I’ll see what they can do with Final Fantasy 15 or 16′.”

“Over a long time we’ll try and regain their trust, but it is something we as a company must put effort into, long-term.”

“That doesn’t mean we’re not going to try to get people’s trust back with this one game,” he added.

Yoshida believes the history of the franchise places more pressure on the team.

“In the 25-year history of the Final Fantasy series, there hasn’t been a Final Fantasy that has failed. We can’t – we just can’t – let this game end in failure.”

“At the original launch, we let down a lot of our fans. Fans around the world were expecting something great, and we feel like we let them down and we lost their trust. To regain that trust we have to show them we’re still behind the project, and that Square Enix is dedicated to making something that’s great. It’s kind of a crazy idea, but we’ve got to do it.”

Yoshida concluded by confirming the team aren’t going to rush A Realm Reborn. At this stage, it’s more important to get the game right.

“We’ll take our time and make something we feel lives up to the series’ name and then let other people play it. And when they realise ‘wow, this is really great game’, their voice will be heard and word will get out there.”

1. Specialist89

Oh, really? What about Final Fantasy XIII or XIII-2? I mean, those titles sold a lot of copies but, should we take a look at the quality? Come on Square, you’ve been milking Final Fantasy since 2005 now.

And i’m a long-time fan of the series.

2. KrazyKraut

came back 3 weeks ago and the game now is amazing, but the changes that come to 2.0 are awesome.

Here is a video (the only recording of it) from Tuesday presentation at the Gamescom:

You will be able to jump xD

3. Sylrissa

@1 I’m a long-time fan as well, and I loved XIII, it’s just very subjective whether you like it or not. The first FF game I was able to get as a little girl here in Rural Australia was FF6, and I’ve played everyone since, and picking up the previous ones on psn and psp.

I liked x-2 as well, and I don’t see why people didn’t like them so much, the only FF single player game that I didn’t really like was 12.

Hopefully they can really make something good from this, because that launch was terrible.

4. hitnrun

Unfortunately for S/E, it’s not “very hard,” it’s impossible in the current era. The launch-interest window for an MMO is approximately .0003282 seconds nowadays and developers have exactly that long to make an impression. S/E has it better than most developers – for many, that fraction of a second is borrowed, and the game has no chance even if it’s fun.

As for “regaining trust” in this environment, the concept is strictly theoretical, listed in Physics textbooks as a sub-entry below “Entropy Theory”.

I realize there aren’t many MMO-savvy S/E stockholders, but if I were one I would be absolutely horrified that they didn’t cut bait in this situation. I assume the reason they’re throwing good money after bad is revealed in this attitude:

Maybe you’ve never faced failure because you had only once before (XI) been stupid enough to use your franchise’s prestige as a marketing cudgel in an unrelated genre? (That’s actually not fair to XI; I didn’t enjoy it, but MMOs weren’t nearly as risk prone 10 years ago.)

5. magnumfinger

just add more tits on this game — then you’ll regain trust.

6. Clupula

There hasn’t been a Final Fantasy that failed.I loved XIII and XIII-2 and I absolutely despised XII, but all three sold very, very well. XIV, I am not so sure it will, when it comes to PS3. And I think the subscription fee will be more of a reason for that than the bad reputation this game has garnered on PC. PS3 players, for the most part, do not want to pay to play. I think this one will be the first, and probably only title in the series that does, indeed, fail, commercially.

7. Hellhound30x

Yeah? well I’m still waiting for an apology for Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2… not to mention FF vs 13 which was announced before the 360 launched…

8. Ireland Michael

@4 FFXI is the most profitable Final Fantasy in the franchise’s history. Just sayin’.

9. KrazyKraut

FFXI is (like FFXIV) a true Final Fantasy title. True to its Job/Class system and true to well-known FF-monster and world elements. About crystal, about war, about whatever. Its more Final Fantasy than FF7 was. Its not fair to forget the roots of the series, only because a lot ppl started with FF7, instead of playing FF3,FF5 or FF9 first.

10. Lounds

FFIX was my first, I love that game and I can see the developers wanted to make a true FF game. Zidane ftw.