Core gamers follow games, not platforms, says XSEED

Friday, 17th August 2012 01:25 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Last Store publisher XSEED says real gamers don’t care about platform wars; they go where the games are.

“We definitely feel that the core gamers that play RPGs are the most likely to follow the best games regardless of the system, so hopefully that will hold true for The Last Story’s release on Wii,” XSEED’s Ken Berry told GamesIndustry.

“I know some people have started counting out the Wii already, but hopefully this release will show that there is still a lot of impressive things that hardware can do when the right game is running on it.”

Mistwalker’s RPG The Last Story released in Japan in early 2011 and has been hailed as one of the most graphically-impressive offerings of the ageing console. It took over a year to reach Europe, and only arrives in the US this week, bare months ahead of the Wii U’s launch.

XSEED representatives have said in the past the company picked up the game without thought for fan campaigning.

1. OlderGamer

I think they are right, but only a select few gamers will buy a system for just one or two games(esp in this economy). Gems or not. That being aid, I know I am looking forward this game.

2. daytripper

@1 no excuse for people to be ridiculously defensive or aggressive over peoples choice of preference to play games on wether they have one platform or all of them. I’m bored of the tears and rage and bored of the trolls. I never have understood people being a fan of a few well off guys in suits over the mythology, art styles and gameplay of the games themselves.

Some sites are guilty of fuelling this shit too, IGN, EG at times and of course the rancid jizz jar that is N4G

3. Da Man

As if casual gamers follow anything else.

People with vivid imagination, fighting imaginary wars on the other hand..

4. viralshag

I never had any interest in the Wii and I have about as much interest in the Wii U. For me the only consoles / platforms that have games I’m interested in are PC, 360 and PS3.

If it’s not on any of them, I really don’t feel like I’m missing out.

5. Kabby

Xenoblade on the Wii is good if you enjoyed the older Final Fantasy games. Worth buying a second hand Wii for.

Although it may be more prudent to just play it in a years time on the Wii U via HDMI. The video output quality on the Wii is terribad.

6. silkvg247

I think this is true. If they remade panzer dragoon saga on the Vita, for example, I’d buy one without hesitation.

7. ManuOtaku

I agree with him thats pretty much why i had always owned all the consoles, in order to not miss out great games on any platform, just knowing that i might miss great games just for not giving a chance to all the manufacturers, is unimaginable in my particular case.

8. Deacon

True for the most part, but there are other factors that I cannot ignore, such as Microsoft charging for online. I don’t really care that I may have missed out on some exclusives by no longer having a 360, I flat out refuse to support that sort of practice.

I picked up a Wii just a few months ago in anticipation for The Last Story / Xenoblade / Pandoras Tower, so he’s definitely on the money. I don’t think there’s going to be a resurgence in Wii sales anytime soon though.