“There is no feud,” between EA and Valve, says Peter Moore

Thursday, 16th August 2012 16:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA COO Peter Moore has said there isn’t any bad blood between the firm and Valve over Origin and Steam, going so far as to tell Eurogamer there’s “no feud,” at all.

EA, after all, published Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead, said Moore, and the firm has “always enjoyed that publishing relationship.”

“There’s no feud,” over the rival digital distribution services, said Moore. “It’s Valve. Gabe’s a great friend of EA’s. We’re a great friend of his, we like to think.

“There are no conversations going on right now. I don’t know what their plans are right now. So, of course, we’ve had a great relationship from the publishing end, and I’d like to think they’ve enjoyed us publishing their content. I certainly think we’ve done a good job.”

However, when it comes to Origin over Steam, things get a bit tricky between the firms from a business standpoint.

“They have different terms and conditions that they put on their games that don’t meet what we would like to do with our gamers. They insist on being a layer between the game developer and publisher and the consumer. They take a piece of the revenue stream. And they don’t allow us to go directly to the consumer to do patches and updates.

“So we just agree to disagree. It’s not a feud. They have their terms and conditions. We do. They don’t meet.”

These “terms and conditions” are also non-negotiable Moore implied, and there’s always the possibility that, someday, the twain will meet – but don’t look for it to happen soon.

“We’re very clear on what we want to do to be able to put a game on a platform and interact with the gamer,” said Moore. “The current terms and conditions of Steam don’t allow that. If they change to meet the contract with the gamer we set out to do, then of course things might change. But until then, nothing’s going to change.”

1. Ireland Michael

There are no feuds in 90% of the industry. It’s just people projecting their own personal biases and insecurities onto business entities.

2. viralshag

Agreed, the internet is a small place that make personal concerns and opinions seem bigger than they are.

It’s business at the end of the day and these companies will make the choices that make them money, will continue to make them money, will guarantee them some money. Whether that be through good customer service, highly priced DLC or subscription based services.

3. DSB

@1 Considering the behaviour of Ricitiello and Kotick, that’s really small wonder.

If you account for their position, there’s not a big difference between those two and a pair of fanboys, beyond obviously running multi-billion dollar businesses, and having to back up their arguments with multi-billion investments.

“We’re going to kill Call of Duty” ring a bell?

@2 And they can be judged on the merits of those decisions. Obviously the industry isn’t faring too well right now.

4. viralshag

@3, I don’t think we’ll be seeing the end of EA just yet. I think they will be able to bounce back and often when they really need to, they do come back stronger.

I just think they might be at a point for another major restructuring and take a good look at their business strategy. If they continue to struggle, they may have to whether they like it or not.

5. DSB

@4 EA aren’t in serious trouble just yet, but it’s hard to see any master stroke in what they’ve done so far. Looking at SWTOR, social/mobile and Battlefield as their three big bets, only Battlefield has really performed to any real standard.

I think it’s a little bizarre that Ricitiello has let EAs strategies be defined by what Activision is doing, to the extent that he has. Shooters and MMOs.

6. viralshag

@5, I don’t know, I think they have had quite a few stand out games. BF3 is one of them and while there may have been criticism about ME3, it did pretty well. Dead Space 2 was also well received and sold well.

And even though Origin is a pain in the arse (which you have heard me complain about many a time haha), I don’t think it’s done too badly in the sense of getting sales of their titles through some of the offered deals.

Origin might not be started up and logged into as default like Steam is but I have a feeling when one of their exclusive deals come about, quite a few people will be happy to bare that trouble.

7. Stephany Nunneley

@3 You do realize Kotick and Ricitiello probably play golf together on the weekends and slam a few expensive beers in the process right? :D

(that’s what I fantasize about at any rate)

8. DSB

Oh right, forgot about Mass Effect (probably because it’s dead to me) :P

Time will tell whether Origin works out or not. You can’t blame them for going after the 100%, but unless they put in some serious work on that client, I think it’s gonna be held back in a serious way.

And that’s kinda where I’m wondering whether they have what it takes. EA aren’t very good at service, it’s never been a focus for them. But that’s really what people need out of a client.

I have the same reservations with their mobile/social venture. Social might work, but mobile takes creativity and inspiration, and that’s not a megapublisher’s game.

@7 I think that’s about as likely as Trent Richardson french kissing Tyrann Mathieu after the game.

But I reckon you’d get a kick out of that too :P