Brandon Beck believes “e-sports will be an Olympic event”

Thursday, 16th August 2012 15:22 GMT By Nick Akerman

The Riot Games co-founder believes gaming has the credentials to join the elite.

London 2012 may be over, but it seems Olympic fever is still about. Potential events at future Games are often discussed, but Brandon Beck believes gaming should be contested at future Olympiads.

“We don’t have our sights set on replacing soccer right now, but we definitely think that e-sports has a place as a large, important, mainstream competitive activity,” Beck told GI.

“I fundamentally believe that e-sports will be an Olympic event in my lifetime.”

For this to happen, Beck says companies must build sustainable infrastructure for e-sports to excel in across many years.

“It’s important for companies to not just say they’re excited about e-sports, but to actually make commitments: from a development standpoint and from a financial standpoint,” he said. “These players have to make a massive commitment to become pro-athletes, so there has to be a viable career path for that to grow into anything.”

Competitive gaming is huge in Korea, where many players take to the local cafes for a spot of multiplayer. Beck claims the market is ready for substantial growth across the world, but that potential suitors must approach the area with quality ideas.

“The innovation going forward in e-sports is all going to be around the quality of broadcasts, the quality of live events, the quality of the leagues themselves.”

1. viralshag

Don’t get me wrong, I love gaming. But this is just stupid.

2. BraveArse

Yup. I love gaming and I love sport in all it’s forms, but really, really can’t – and don’t want to – see that come to fruition. IMO just all kinds of wrong.

3. Froseidon

I don’t feel it can, but it might have a chance. I mean, they let synchronized swimming in >.>

4. soqquatto

he’s just so fucking wrong.

5. ManuOtaku

I dont think this idea will come into fructition, because like the FIFA, the COI is rule by a very conservative bunch of people, and seeing the bad press videogames attract, it will be a no-no in their eyes, i dont think it will stand a chance, although iam the kind of person that never say never, but chances are tiny, little bit, low, minimal, etc

6. viralshag

@Manu, I don’t think it should even be the bad press that puts people off the idea of having e-sports as an event.

I mean, I’m sure there is dedication required to be an e-sports competitor, and I don’t want to take anything away from what they do, but the thought of a e-sports gamer being comparable to, let’s say Mo Farah as an example, just seems ludicrous to me.

I really don’t feel like there is any place in the Olympics for e-sports and I really hope it stays that way.

7. Sini

i cant wait to be inspired and finish my unification of physics paper by watching asians play starcraft

8. PEYJ

@ 1, 2 and 4.

I agree with you. The Olympics is about body and motion and E-sports is just to boring to look at for the masses. Being a core gamer myself I would never waste my time on E-sports spectating. I really believe but also hope that this idea would never come to fruition.

9. OrbitMonkey

Yeah lets add videogames!! Followed by Masturbation, lets really gjve geeks a chance at glory!

10. TheWulf

Nyeh… eSports are fun, to be sure, but they’ll never be an ‘Olympic’ sport, or any real sport.

Why? Sports don’t have to be patched because of balance issues.

11. DSB

@9 Hahaha. Brilliant.

Just put it on the venue next to women’s beach volleyball.

12. ManuOtaku

#9 LOL orbit lets create the Geek games, i think ESPN will contact us to replace the run time of the winter x-games.

13. AJacks92

On the contrary, eSports’ popularity has risen significantly. And no, not petty shooters or actual sports games. eSports has become more popular simply from strategic games like League of Legends and Starcraft. League of Legends alone attracts more viewers during its live streams than the number of viewers tuning in to watch MLB. And that’s just one game. “eSports” is used broadly, but now really revolves around RTS games and MOBA games, which is why I think eSports does have a chance to be a global, mainstream event. And at this rate, I expect eSports to be as popular as NBA in 3-5 years.