Next-gen Gran Turismo: details “soon,” says Yoshida

Wednesday, 15th August 2012 13:12 GMT By Patrick Garratt

News on plans for the next generation of Gran Turismo aren’t far away, Sony Worldwide Studios chief Shuhei Yoshida has assured VG247.

Speaking in a VG247 interview that will be published later today, Yoshida said fans of the series won’t have long to wait to see first real details of what’s next for GT.

“Kazanori seems to have started talking about, so I won’t be surprised to hear more about their plans, our plans, on future Gran Turismo rather soon,” he said.

Polyphony lead Kazunori Yamauchi has been mentioning his next game more of late, calling it “Gran Turismo 6“.

He first confirmed development of a further title in the series in November 2010, just beyond the launch of Gran Turismo 5.

After a period of silence, a flurry of reports in recent months has put Polyphony back in the headlines, with Yamauchi saying in July that the studio is “always aiming for the latest technology and the latest expression.”

There are no serious details, however. It’s not even known if Gran Turismo 6 will appear on PS3 or go to next-gen, as now seems likely.

The exec was speaking after last night’s barnstorming Sony gamescom conference in Cologne, during which the firm announced a multitude of highly creative IPs and showed more on upcoming triple-A titles such as Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us.

One game conspicuous by its absence, however, was The Last Guardian. Yoshida refused to be drawn on the status of the Team Ico title.

“We don’t decide what to talk about until close to those events, so we really don’t have the set agenda for any of these projects that you’re talking about,” he said.

1. Yoshi

Release date 2020

2. Dragon246

Release platform – vita 2

3. DrDamn

If they have learnt from the PS3 it’ll be a PS4 launch/near-launch title. They took far too long to bring their bigger franchises to PS3. I have little faith that Polyphony could pull that off mind.

4. Christopher Jack

They should have GT6 as a launch game, they really should need at least 3 of the strongest franchises at a console launch on top of some new IP.

I think the Vita could really benefit from a Gran Turismo right about now, a GTA game could also be helpful but seems even less likely.

5. Gadzooks!

It can’t take that long to re-use an old engine, add some tearing and throw in a bunch of last-gen models and textures. That’s what they did on GT5 after all.

Oh, it DOES take a long time?

Yeah, I’d expect a paid-for demo near launch, using PS3 or possibly PS2 assets.

A proper GT6? Not a chance in hell.

6. Christopher Jack

@5, Have you ever said a positive thing about Sony? You can see why people call you a troll, right?

7. Sadismek

@4 They might launch it with a new Uncharted, as it’ll have a 4 at the end of it’s name (Playstation 4 – Uncharted 4, see what I mean? :P). Maybe The Last Guardian, too, if they decide to open it’s graveyard.

I’d presonally love a new Red Dead Redemption in the launch up of the next generation consoles, although it purely depends on Rockstar.

8. Gadzooks!

#6

You can see why I dont give a rats ass about what you think, right?

9. HeavyD-Love

Gotta say….this is pretty lame. After the debacle that was GT5 they should really learn to keep their mouths shut until they have something to show. It’s a tease for a reveal that will undoubtedly feature delay after delay after…

10. No_PUDding

If they didnt jump STRAIGHT on a massive asset production schedule, then they’re stupid. If they have to outsource some of them, then fine, just hi detail car models for thousands of cars.

What features they add after that… Well that can come later.

200 premium cars is shit.

11. Razor

Wait, is “next-gen” your speculation Pat, or was it implied by Yoshida?

Pretty big if GT6 won’t be on PS3.

12. Christopher Jack

@8, I didn’t post an opinion. So your response makes no sense but you clearly cared enough to respond. If you don’t like something, why even take the time to click on the article just to copy & paste the same thing you do every other Sony article?

I mean, I could copy everything you wrote & replace every mention of Gran Turismo with Halo & you’d feel offended but I don’t. The reason I don’t is because I enjoy Halo although it suffers the exact same issues. I also wouldn’t post that dribble even if I hated Halo because I wouldn’t bother clicking on an article just to troll about it.

Why can’t people be console/platform agnostic? You do realize you gain nothing by pledging your allegiance to one plastic box over another, right?

13. ysleiro

Maybe Sony going to a friendlier architecture (as rumored) will ease their pain. Let’s hope.

@#12 The hell you talking about? Halo shipped with original Xbox character models? suffered delay after delay? and had obnoxious menu? etc etc?

14. OlderGamer

CJ +1

15. No_PUDding

@12 To be fair to him, he can post what he likes. But if you reply to him, then it’s your problem.

The trick is to ignore people who post inane and simple-minded things. There was no substance to his comment, so glean over it and save your blood pressure.

16. Da Man

ysleiro +1

17. ManuOtaku

#13 “I’ve grown to believe that our friends the Asian devs just can’t cut it anymore. They have to redesign the game engine for a completely different architecture and upgrade all the graphics. I’m expecting this to take them FOREVER.”

I didnt knew activision was asian, i always thought they were from the states ;)

18. Gadzooks!

#12

Hey, I had a great idea: Why dont you take your personal attacks and shove them up your ass while fucking off?

I think that would be just swell, don’t you agree?

In the meantime I will continue posting criticism at things that deserve criticism, as I have since long before you turned up here and will continue to do long after you perform aforementioned fucking off. Moreso now that I know it gets you all riled up and temple-veiny.

19. HeavyD-Love

5 year dev cycle. There’s no way GT6 will be on PS3

20. ManuOtaku

#19 well to tell you the truth it doesnt need to be neither, one per generation is sufficient IMHO

21. OlderGamer

I agree Manu, the idea that games need to be yearly updates/version is bad imo. Once a gen is great imo.

22. ManuOtaku

OG off topic here, i didnt see you got the newest tables of FX2, right now i have the best score on those tables, i need someone to pass me and you are the only one who can do it, or it is your wife?, either way are you plan to play it on the 360, i know you are not connecting to much lately.

23. Fin

@20@21

Eh? So you only want one iteration of a game every seven years?

Nah, I’ll take my biennial updates thanks.

24. Christopher Jack

@13, Please, I owned GT5 & even the standard cars looked quite nice. All those poor screenshots you may have seen were probably done at a low resolution.

@18, Me riled? Sorry mate, I couldn’t care less about abuse from some random guy on the net. Sometimes it’s actually funny. Clearly you’re the one who’s getting agitated, you don’t randomly swear like that unless you’re a) Ghetto trash. b) Agitated. :)

I’ve no problem with criticism if it’s justified or constructive, but you’re just trolling, there’s a difference. If I ever see you criticize any of Microsoft’s franchises, I’ll retract my statement but you won’t because Microsoft can Do No Evil in your eyes.

I mean, you certainly have no issues criticizing one company while forgiving another but you certainly can’t take any- do you know what that makes you? A hypocrite. You also do not seem to really know the meaning of criticism, it isn’t really just bitching & trolling like what you’re doing- perhaps you should do a wiki search on its meaning.

25. ManuOtaku

#23 to tell you the truth, yes i wanted to be surprise with very big leaps between generations, having almost the same thing yearly or biennial, its not my ideal more so if you have other great racing games that you can play in the meantime, if there was a shortage of racing games on all the consoles, i will maybe say yes, but man great racing games are a lot, and this without gotham racing, blur and split.

26. OlderGamer

@Manu I will look into them, my oldest son wants me to grab them too. My wife and I trade back and forth. Some of the top scores are mine and some are hers. Most of the time we are pretty close either way. But our son beats us both by a lot. I have been playing PC so much I have prolly missed a few things, could be worth looking around a bit.

27. OlderGamer

@Fin, totaly agree with Manu here. Very few games I can think of where I want more of the samething each year.

I can say sports games should be updated. But not with 60usd “updates”. I think you should be able to buy the full priced version and then buy 20usd updates, that included yearly rooster adjustments, improved mechanics, improved graphics etc. EA has been chocking the sports market. I remember when NFL2K was 20usd for its new versions.

But I think instead of yearly CoDs, they could do the sametype of thing. Sell me the game, then sell me expansion packs with a new campaign or new MP maps.

Samething for racers.

And prolly for most games out there.

But why would a company not want to rake in 60usd, plus dlc each year. They don’t care if the experience found in the game is nearly exactly the same each year. Not so long as people buy it.

But as a gamer, I got burnt out on some of todays biggest franchises awhile ago already. Oversaturation, imo, is a huge problem. One of the biggest reasons I went looking for games outside of a console to begin with.

28. Dragon246

I think GT is the most well maintained franchise in ps lineup, as lack of rehashes every1-2 years allows polyphony to make the best racing sims ever. Every numbered entry shows massive improvements over previous ones. It keeps the series fresh and worth playing. The support the game received after release is also amazing, seeing as how patches and improvement are offered 2 years after the launch. In a world where dev support stops at 6 months , this is refreshing . This is just like how ninty keeps its core franchises like zelda, mario from stagnanting by releasing new entry every 3-4 years, one or two per gen.
    @CJ
    Best way to deal with a troller is to ignore him. He wouldn’t have trolled in the first place if he had brains to talk reason .

29. Gadzooks!

#24

You should maybe do some research before making yourself sound stupid, as you did here.

I very rarely praise MS, and in fact gave them quite a roasting right here ealier today. The XBox is not MS in its entirety.

You are incorrectly assuming that criticising Sony means I must be aligned with a competitor. I owned a PS3 for a little under a year and know from firsthand experience what is worthy of criticism or not.

As you are relatively new here you wouldnt have seen me praise the likes of LBP, Pain, Demons Souls.

Best not to comment on what you dont understand son.

#28

GT has been in decline since the sublime GT3.

Oh, and how long was it between the incremental updates of 4 prologue, HD and 5 prologue?

30. monkeygourmet

Next gen Playstation won’t be called PS4, as the number 4 is full of negative superstitions in Japan. Japanese for ’4′ sounds very similar to ‘death’ which is obvs not great business wise! :)

Most likely will use Orbis or something like that considering how well that would fit in with Vita and the whole ‘circle of media’ thing they want to achieve.

So maybe we’ll see Gran Turismo Orbis Prolouge on launch? Def not coming to PS3 unless it’s streamed through Gaikai.

It’s great Sony are releasing all these exclusives, but can’t help feeling there spunking their load at the end of the generation and Microsoft may have some really meaty stuff to show for next gen launch (considering they have shit all exclusives for 360…)

If Sony released GT 6 on PS3, you would see one next gen till about 2025!!!!

31. Christopher Jack

@29, Been using this site since 2010…

32. Dragon246

I said numbered entry. Read carefully before commenting .

33. OlderGamer

Gad, I have been here scince the early days. Your a pretty hardcore Xbfan. Not judging that, I went thru my xb zealot days too. But you can fool some of the people some of the time, but your not going to fool all of the people all of the time.

Also the idea that you can hate on one product but praise another product from the same company as meaning anything is silly. When talking about games and game systems – TVs and Operating systems or Apps and Search Engines have very little to do with it.

Just saying.

34. ysleiro

@17 ManuOtaku

MY APOLOGIES. I was unaware that Activision was developing Gran Turismo now. I was under the impression Polyphony Digital was still in charge of the franchise.

Awaiting your response…

35. OlderGamer

@ysleiro you do understand he was joking right?

36. ysleiro

His sarcasm was lost on me. SWWOOOOOSHHH.

I didn’t get why he mentioned Activision.

37. ManuOtaku

#36 because the things you did describe being the issues asian developers have right now, especially this one, are equal to the way activision do handle their games, pretty much you did describe activision too, that was the joke.

38. OlderGamer

@ysleiro all good lol ;)

39. Cort

Sorry Sony. Bought every GT game on day one. But GT5 was such a bland, characterless, dirge of an over-hyped but under-delivered game I’ve quit the franchise and gone over to Forza.

Time to sack Kaz and hand it over to someone else.

40. TheOutcastWolf

Am i the only one that heard what Hirai said about a +10 year cycle for the PS3 and the software will be updated instead of hardware… Bucking cells costs great money people…

41. Gadzooks!

#32

So the inbetween GT’s dont exist, right? Of course they do, they are GT games developed by the same team.

Regardless of what you choose to ignore, GT gets rather a lot of incremental releases, and they are not all progressive.

#33

CJ said I was a Microsoft fan. My reply was no, I’m not. Xbox fan, yes. MS fan, definitely not.

I’m a Nintendo fan too, but strangely never get called a Nintendo fanboy despite sticking up for them a lot. PC is not for me but I have no issues with content on the platform or how businesses operate on it.

Sony however have done a lot this gen to alienate and irritate me, so they will continue to get my criticism.

Ultimately I’m a fan of gaming, and I see Sony damaging gaming. They certainly ruined the Playstation brand for me, which limits my gaming options.

42. OlderGamer

I feel the same way towards MS/xb Gad. I used to love ‘em. Now I am just sick of them. I am guessing it downs to this gen draging on so long. I know I need some new hardware soon. I bet you do too.

43. Gadzooks!

OG,

I’m always up for new toys, but honestly I’ve got such a backlog of games to get through and new games to come that I’ll be content for another year. Shineys are nice and all, but I’m always gameplay over visuals. Minecraft right now is my goto game for example.

WiiU will scratch the new toys itch for a good while anyway, but thats purely due to the games, not the power of it.

44. Dragon246

You really comment without reading don’t you? Each numbered entry is markedly better than previous ones, prologue versions just show glimpses of what next entry will bring. Read my earlier comment.
    What are you doing is called destructive criticism .
    The only thing Xbox has done right this gen is gold subs and sony alienated gamers like you by providing free online gaming.
    Yep, Sony has destroyed gaming with exclusives and free online play.

45. Gadzooks!

Keep your head stuck in the sand there sonny.

46. Dragon246

With pleasure , while you are welcome to waste money on free things and play the next shooter which provides innovations like new ways to shoot and taunt other manchildren and not play exclusive games of other platform .
    Good luck Xbot with your kinect (which is definitely an innovative product ) and next dance central and kinectimals.

47. Gadzooks!

Calm down son, your rage is causing you to type unintelligible garbage.

FYI, I’ve had much more fun playing Kinect games than I ever got from the PS3. QTE’s, ham acting and narrow corridor games really didnt do anything for me. I’m sure it’s enough to keep a simpleton like you happy and drooling at your TV though.

And how many shooters are on PS3? Killzones, Resistances, MAG, SOCOM, etc. Just because they aren’t any good doesn’t mean they don’t exist. This is your strange selective memory thing again.

Stop and think before posting. If you are capable.