Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn screens show off graphical progress

Wednesday, 15th August 2012 10:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Final Fantasy 14 is fast approaching its relaunch under the happy appellation of A Realm Reborn. Although it’s not just graphics the Square Enix team is fixing, this preview screens show things are going swimmingly in that department.

Final Fantasy 14′s relaunch is being simultaneously developed on PC and PlayStation 3 – the MMORPG has been expected to hit the console since release – and is on track for launch next year. That Squeenix hits its target of a mid-August update suggests all systems functioning as normal.

1. Digital Bamboo

Looks gorgeous.

Shame about it being a MMOG, rather than an open-world game though.

Hope it includes chocobo-mounted combat.

2. Deacon

I don’t understand this whole re-release thing…

The game is out and playable now, right? I know the PS3 version is some way off / never going to materialize, so I’m tempted to take a look at the PC version. Seems you can pick it up quite cheap but again, I don’t know what the sub plan is etc.

Can anyone lay some facts unto me?

3. Kabby

It launched. It was garbage. People complained. Square embarked on a weird re-launch of an already launched MMO.

4. freedoms_stain

I wonder if they’ve started working on an F2P model.

tbh they might have to. The fucked up launch of this game has got to have made people wary of dropping any cash into it without trying it out 1st.

5. Gnosis

Yeah… because everyone is totally concerned about an SE game looking like crap.
    I’d rather see some more gameplay material. Oh well, at least they’re not FMV.

6. KrazyKraut

Played the beta and playing it right now.

The first thing I can say: They don’t need a F2P model. You may heard it already, but FF11 is still profitable even with new add-ons and updates.
    FF14 is more or less like FF11 with better graphics and better solo content. You can really do something in 1 hour, yes even in 45 mins.

I am still shocked how stupid SE or the first producer were:
    No airships, no personal chocobos and, the confusing rank/physical level system and the leveling fatigue system (after some time you couldnt get any xp/sp and had to wait hours) killed the start and the whole good reputation FF Online had. Now all bad things are gone and enough content for solo and party players are existing.

The game is good, the content is already awesome and the graphics are increadible. Our Quadcore Xeon 2,8 Ghz Machine with 24 GB Ram and a middle-class ATI 1 GB GFXCard, cant handle the game on maximum, not even on average medium settings. I would say a little bit technical improvements are needed.

Its a shame that the bad reputation still hangs over FFXIV, but give it a try folks. Its cheap and free 30 days are included + there will be some free months when 2.0 will be out.

More and more people starting the game and FFXIV 2.0 is not even out.

7. silkvg247

@6 If they give me 30 days free on the re-release when I already activated the “old” version some time ago (then cancelled) I’ll try it.

8. KrazyKraut

The free time will be offered for everyone.

9. jldoom

I still want to try this on PS3, I hope they make it happen.

10. fearmonkey

It looks really pretty… Im impressed with the graphics overhaul.