F1 Race Stars is the cute, silly spin-off to Codemasters serious sim franchise, and yet it has produced some of the most potent nightmare fuel of gamescom 2012.
Look at that guy up there. “Call me,” he seems to be saying. “I may be top heavy and have a receding hairline but check out my sweet ride. Come on baby. Get in the car.”
F1 Race Stars isn’t as scary as I make it out to be and releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 November. Hey, do you like facts? Here are some fact about it. Thanks, gamescom.
- It’s authentic. The toon cast represents every team on the FIA Formula One World Championship circuit.
- It has four-player split-screen multiplayer, head-to-head or in teams, as well as 12-player modes online via RaceNet, which will host regular community events.
- The tracks are based on actual F1 courses, but will all manner of jumps and loops, plus power-ups and shortcuts. Confirmed locations include France, Belgium, Japan and Monaco.
- Power ups include the Safety car, which holds up specific opponents; Wet weather, which slows everyone; and Rain Cloud, which attacks the leader. Plus, you can use slingshotting and slipstreams.
- As well as various Championship campaigns, the racer sports a Free Play mode and Time Trials with online leaderboards and ghosts.